|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal joins Billy as he seeks shelter from the rain?
(a) A deer.
(b) A fox.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A dog.
2. What happens to one of the men who approach Billy and Boyd and engage in a melee?
(a) His arm is shattered.
(b) His leg is broken.
(c) His back is broken.
(d) His skull is fractured.
3. Where does Billy store Boyd's body overnight?
(a) In a stream.
(b) In a tree.
(c) In a barn.
(d) In a shed.
4. Where does Billy find shelter from the desert rain one evening?
(a) A ranch.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A cave.
(d) An abandoned way station.
5. Where does Billy cross the border back into the United States?
(a) Columbus, New Mexico.
(b) Nogales, Arizona.
(c) El Paso, Texas.
(d) San Diego, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor's servant return to the farm where the Parham boys are staying the next day?
2. According to Boyd's tombstone, what date did Boyd die?
3. What does Boyd loan the young girl before they leave?
4. How old is Boyd when he runs away with the girl?
5. Where does Billy sleep when he reaches his destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
2. What is Boyd's condition when Billy returns to get him at the Munoz farm?
3. What obstacles does Billy have when he tries to enlist in the army?
4. How can Boyd's emerging folk hero status be considered a form of foreshadowing?
5. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
6. Where does Billy search for Boyd and what does he learn about his brother?
7. What does the woman who reads Billy's palm tell him?
8. What surprise decision does Boyd make as he is healing?
9. What does Billy learn about how Boyd died?
10. What physical defect disqualifies Billy from enlisting in the army?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)