|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Parham give to Boyd when they are out fixing the traps?
(a) His hat.
(b) His gloves.
(c) His rifle.
(d) His coat.
2. What does the rancher's wife ask one of the ranch hands to do?
(a) Milk the cows.
(b) Wash the dishes.
(c) Feed the horses.
(d) Mend the wolf's leg wound.
3. Where does Billy finally see the wolf?
(a) In the meadow.
(b) By a stream.
(c) At the campsite.
(d) On a hilltop.
4. What is Billy's immediate reaction upon seeing the wolf?
(a) His father told him to come get him.
(b) He wants to shoot it.
(c) He wants to pet it.
(d) He wants to run away.
5. Who is Billy Parham?
(a) The protagonist.
(b) The editor.
(c) The author.
(d) The publisher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rides with Billy and Boyd?
2. What do the men take from Billy before ordering him to follow them to a small town?
3. What does the man in Casas Grandes say that Boyd believes?
4. What does Billy plan to do if he catches the wolf?
5. How old is Boyd when Billy encounters the wolf?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is the last time that Billy sees his father?
2. How much of Billy's decision not to return home is a conscious decision?
3. How does the old Indian foreshadow Billy's life?
4. What trouble waits for Billy after crossing the river with the wolf who can't swim because of being muzzled?
5. Why does Billy set a wolf trap in the vaqueros' smoldering campfire?
6. What role does the dog play in the story and what does it come to symbolize?
7. What are Billy's thoughts when he sees the wolf caught in the trap at the campfire?
8. How does Billy manage to survive after he buries the wolf?
9. How does Billy provide food and water for the wolf on the trip?
10. What happened to the family dog during the murderous attacks?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)