|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy note when he returns to the vaqueros' campsite?
(a) Cigarette butts.
(b) The wolf had dug in the campfire.
(c) An old saddle.
(d) A bedroll.
2. What is Billy's immediate reaction upon seeing the wolf?
(a) He wants to run away.
(b) He wants to shoot it.
(c) He wants to pet it.
(d) His father told him to come get him.
3. What sudden decision does Billy make as he leads the wolf away from the campsite?
(a) To let the wolf go free.
(b) To find a safe place to wait out the storm.
(c) To head toward Mexico.
(d) To run away to Canada.
4. What does Billy do at the Mexican border?
(a) Buys a gun.
(b) Trades horses.
(c) Returns the half dollar he owes.
(d) Gets directions.
5. What kind of animal does Mr. Parham tell his sons has been sighted?
(a) A fox.
(b) A deer.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Billy and Boyd see in the Mexican town of Morelos?
2. What does Billy put around the wolf's snout?
3. What is Billy's horse's name?
4. What do the men on the other side of the river ask Billy for?
5. What does Billy borrow from a border guard when he returns to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the family dog during the murderous attacks?
2. Describe the process of preparing and setting the traps.
3. What are Mr. Parham's instructions for Billy when he heads out to check the wolf traps?
4. What happens when the wolf gets free of her muzzle?
5. What are Billy's thoughts when he sees the wolf caught in the trap at the campfire?
6. What eventually happens to the wolf?
7. How does the old Indian foreshadow Billy's life?
8. Describe the boys' encounter with an Indian while they are out gathering wood one day.
9. What is the relationship between Billy and Boyd and what mention is made of any other family members at the beginning of the novel?
10. What does Billy do with the dead wolf?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)