|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Billy visit before heading back to Mexico?
(a) His uncle.
(c) Mr. Sanders.
(d) His grandmother.
2. What does the blind man's wife prepare for Billy to eat?
(a) Boiled eggs.
3. Where does Billy sleep when he reaches his destination?
(b) Bus station.
(c) Train station.
(d) Homeless shelter.
4. In what city does Billy try to enter the army a second time?
(c) El Paso.
5. What name does Billy sign on his army induction form?
(a) John William Parham.
(b) Louisa May Parham.
(c) Ella Mae Parham.
(d) William Edward Parham.
6. According to the girl, what type of man is useless?
(a) One who is stingy.
(b) One who is unwilling to kill for his woman.
(c) One who cannot love.
(d) One who is angry all the time.
7. How is Billy's horse wounded in the encounter with some rogue riders?
(a) He is stabbed in the chest.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is hanged.
(d) He is stoned.
8. Where does Billy cross the border back into the United States?
(a) San Diego, California.
(b) El Paso, Texas.
(c) Columbus, New Mexico.
(d) Nogales, Arizona.
9. What does Billy note about his life now that Boyd is gone?
(a) It is better.
(b) It is less.
(c) It is quieter.
(d) It is the end.
10. What does the animal represent for Billy?
(a) His redemption.
(b) His loyalty.
(c) His cruelty.
(d) His inability to retrieve his life.
11. The doctor sends Billy for some things he needs such as water and _____________.
(a) A chair.
12. What kind of animals is pulling the gypsy cart?
13. What do the children in the barn say about Billy the next morning?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is wounded.
(d) He is unconscious.
14. The waitress gives Billy a free meal of __________________.
(a) Hash and coffee.
(b) Bacon, eggs, toast and coffee.
(c) Sausage gravy and biscuits.
(d) Pancakes and juice.
15. What healing concoction do the gypsies give the horse?
(a) Hot water with leaves.
(b) Olive oil and cayenne.
(c) Hot water with whiskey.
(d) Sassafras tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy offer the doctor as payment for Boyd's care?
2. What does Billy do in the days after he buries Boyd?
3. What is the name of the family at whose farm Boyd has been recovering?
4. How old is Boyd when he runs away with the girl?
5. What does the sheriff say to Billy when he finds him digging a grave for Boyd?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)