|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Boyd as he attempts to round up some of the horses?
(a) He falls into a ravine.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He faints.
(d) He is thrown from his horse.
2. What affliction does the animal seem to have?
(a) Hearing problem.
(b) Open wound.
3. What fact about Boyd does Billy tell the girl?
(a) He is tone deaf.
(b) He is illiterate.
(c) He is color blind.
(d) He had a twin sister who died.
4. What does the animal represent for Billy?
(a) His cruelty.
(b) His redemption.
(c) His inability to retrieve his life.
(d) His loyalty.
5. Why does the leader of the bandits berate one of his men?
(a) For not taking Billy's rifle.
(b) For stealing from a grieving man.
(c) For desecrating a dead body.
(d) For killing a good horse with no reason.
6. According to the army recruiter, one in ___________ boys who sign up for the military are not yet 18.
7. What do Boyd and the girl do that surprises Billy?
(a) Throw a birthday party for him.
(b) Get married.
(c) Return to the Parham ranch.
(d) Leave without telling him.
8. What does the young girl want to do?
(a) Go with Billy and Boyd.
(b) Stay with a rancher's family.
(c) Go out on her own.
(d) Return home.
9. Who/what does Billy find when he arrives at the Munoz house again?
(a) No one is there.
(b) The Munoz family.
(c) A couple of vaqueros.
(d) Boyd and the girl.
10. According to Boyd's tombstone, what date did Boyd die?
(a) February 24, 1951.
(b) February 24, 1943.
(c) February 24, 1915.
(d) February 24, 1963.
11. How much money does Billy send to Mr. Sanders after his first payday?
12. What does Billy use to chase away the animal?
(a) Tree branch.
(c) Pitch fork.
13. What do the children in the barn say about Billy the next morning?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is sick.
(c) He is wounded.
(d) He is unconscious.
14. In Billy's dream, what does Boyd reply when Billy asks him what it's like to be dead?
(a) He says it is the ultimate peace.
(b) He says it is mystical.
(c) He says it is nothingness.
(d) He does not answer.
15. Why are Billy and Boyd approached by a gang of men?
(a) They are border patrol guards.
(b) They want the horses back.
(c) They are recruiting outlaws.
(d) They are looking for runaways.
Short Answer Questions
1. What healing concoction do the gypsies give the horse?
2. What does the sheriff say to Billy when he finds him digging a grave for Boyd?
3. Where does Billy get into an altercation with a man soon after entering Mexico?
4. According to the girl, what type of man is useless?
5. What new item does Billy have with him for this trip into Mexico?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)