|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boyd loan the young girl before they leave?
(b) A horse.
2. Where do Billy, Boyd, and the young girl stay for awhile?
(a) A village of farm workers.
(b) At their uncle's ranch.
(c) In the desert.
(d) At a convent.
3. What does Billy note about his life now that Boyd is gone?
(a) It is better.
(b) It is quieter.
(c) It is the end.
(d) It is less.
4. What kind of animal joins Billy as he seeks shelter from the rain?
(a) A dog.
(b) A fox.
(c) A deer.
(d) A wolf.
5. Where does Billy get into an altercation with a man soon after entering Mexico?
(a) A cattle drive.
(b) A festival.
(c) A stable.
(d) A cantina.
6. What does Billy do while sitting on the roadway?
(a) Smokes cigarettes.
(c) Plans his trip.
7. According to the girl, what type of man is useless?
(a) One who is angry all the time.
(b) One who cannot love.
(c) One who is stingy.
(d) One who is unwilling to kill for his woman.
8. How does Billy try to help the wounded horse?
(a) Packs the wound with clay.
(b) Rubs salve on his wound.
(c) Gives him whiskey to drink.
(d) Makes bandages from a shirt.
9. The woman who gives food to Billy also reads his palm and tells him about __________________.
(a) Boyd and the girl.
(b) His father and mother.
(c) His two dead brothers.
(d) His future wife.
10. How much money does Billy send to Mr. Sanders after his first payday?
11. How old is Billy when he goes to the army recruiting station?
12. How was the man blinded?
(a) He had a hunting accident.
(b) He was born that way.
(c) His eyes were sucked out as a punishment.
(d) He has a degenerative disease.
13. What is Billy's mother's first name?
14. What does the border guard tell Billy when he crosses back into the U.S.?
(a) He is too young to be riding randomly through Mexico.
(b) He has to pay a border fee.
(c) Billy can join the military because the U.S. is at war.
(d) He needs identification papers.
15. What fact about Boyd does Billy tell the girl?
(a) He is color blind.
(b) He is illiterate.
(c) He had a twin sister who died.
(d) He is tone deaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Billy work without seeing anyone?
2. According to the army recruiter, one in ___________ boys who sign up for the military are not yet 18.
3. What does Billy do in the days after he buries Boyd?
4. Where does Billy go to sleep off a hangover after leaving the cantina?
5. What does the unusual weather represent for Billy?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)