|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Billy cross the border back into the United States?
(a) El Paso, Texas.
(b) Nogales, Arizona.
(c) Columbus, New Mexico.
(d) San Diego, California.
2. According to the girl, what type of man is useless?
(a) One who is angry all the time.
(b) One who is stingy.
(c) One who cannot love.
(d) One who is unwilling to kill for his woman.
3. Where does Billy work to earn enough money to get bus fare?
(a) A diner.
(b) A gas station.
(c) A dry cleaners.
(d) A stable.
4. Billy finds a job with an outfit formerly known as _________________.
5. What healing concoction do the gypsies give the horse?
(a) Hot water with whiskey.
(b) Sassafras tea.
(c) Hot water with leaves.
(d) Olive oil and cayenne.
6. How much money does Billy send to Mr. Sanders after his first payday?
7. What name does Billy sign on his army induction form?
(a) William Edward Parham.
(b) Ella Mae Parham.
(c) Louisa May Parham.
(d) John William Parham.
8. How is Billy's horse wounded in the encounter with some rogue riders?
(a) He is stabbed in the chest.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He is stoned.
(d) He is shot.
9. What happens to one of the men who approach Billy and Boyd and engage in a melee?
(a) His arm is shattered.
(b) His back is broken.
(c) His skull is fractured.
(d) His leg is broken.
10. What does Billy do in the days after he buries Boyd?
(a) Marries Mr. Sanderson's granddaughter.
(b) Rides out again with no destination.
(c) Returns to the family ranch.
(d) Buries Mr. Sanderson.
11. What kind of animal joins Billy as he seeks shelter from the rain?
(a) A deer.
(b) A dog.
(c) A fox.
(d) A wolf.
12. The doctor sends Billy for some things he needs such as water and _____________.
(b) A chair.
13. How old is Billy when he goes to the army recruiting station?
14. Where does Billy go to sleep off a hangover after leaving the cantina?
(a) An open barn.
(b) A cave.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A bed and breakfast.
15. What does Billy note about his life now that Boyd is gone?
(a) It is quieter.
(b) It is less.
(c) It is better.
(d) It is the end.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Billy and Boyd eat for dinner after rescuing their horses?
2. What new item does Billy have with him for this trip into Mexico?
3. What is in the cart that the gypsies are pulling?
4. What does Billy offer the doctor as payment for Boyd's care?
5. Why are Billy and Boyd approached by a gang of men?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)