|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Billy cross the border back into the United States?
(a) El Paso, Texas.
(b) San Diego, California.
(c) Columbus, New Mexico.
(d) Nogales, Arizona.
2. What does the man in charge of the herd of horses give to Billy?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A paper of ownership.
(d) A lame horse.
3. What is the only way Billy can join the military at his age?
(a) If he knows a Congressman.
(b) If he lies.
(c) If his parents sign the consent.
(d) If he alters his birth certificate.
4. What name does Billy sign on his army induction form?
(a) Ella Mae Parham.
(b) Louisa May Parham.
(c) John William Parham.
(d) William Edward Parham.
5. Who is tending more of the Parhams' horses when Billy and Boyd find them?
(a) Two young boys.
(b) Three girls.
(c) A cowboy.
(d) A rancher.
6. What does the unusual weather represent for Billy?
(a) His temperament.
(b) The unusual path of his life.
(c) His search for live.
(d) The swift passing of time.
7. What is the name of the horse that Mr. Parham used to ride?
8. What does the border guard tell Billy when he crosses back into the U.S.?
(a) He is too young to be riding randomly through Mexico.
(b) He has to pay a border fee.
(c) Billy can join the military because the U.S. is at war.
(d) He needs identification papers.
9. Billy finds a job with an outfit formerly known as _________________.
10. What does Billy tell Mr. Sanders that his plans are now?
(a) To go to college.
(b) To find a girl and get married.
(c) To "hire on somewheres."
(d) To get a factory job.
11. What does a girl in the young girl's hometown tell Billy?
(a) Boyd and the young girl have moved back east.
(b) Boyd and the young girl married recently.
(c) Boyd is buried in San Buenaventura.
(d) Boyd left the young girl to return home.
12. What happens to Boyd as he attempts to round up some of the horses?
(a) He is thrown from his horse.
(b) He faints.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He falls into a ravine.
13. What does Billy learn when he returns to the home of the doctor?
(a) The doctor has moved back east.
(b) The doctor is no longer practicing.
(c) The doctor has been taken hostage.
(d) The doctor has died.
14. What drink does the Mexican man refuse to drink?
(a) American whiskey.
(b) Irish whiskey.
(c) American beer.
(d) German beer.
15. How old is Boyd when he runs away with the girl?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy's mother's first name?
2. What does the girl reply when Billy tells her about Boyd's dead twin sister.
3. What does Billy do the morning after he sleeps in the barn?
4. In what city does Billy try to enter the army a second time?
5. What meal does Billy eat at the diner the second time?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)