|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy learn when he returns to the home of the doctor?
(a) The doctor has moved back east.
(b) The doctor has died.
(c) The doctor is no longer practicing.
(d) The doctor has been taken hostage.
2. Why does the leader of the bandits berate one of his men?
(a) For not taking Billy's rifle.
(b) For stealing from a grieving man.
(c) For killing a good horse with no reason.
(d) For desecrating a dead body.
3. What does the sheriff say to Billy when he finds him digging a grave for Boyd?
(a) He would be happy to get him some help.
(b) He can't bury Boyd without permission.
(c) He thought it would be Billy.
(d) He is sorry for his loss.
4. What do the children in the barn say about Billy the next morning?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) He is unconscious.
(d) He is dead.
5. What does the man in charge of the herd of horses give to Billy?
(a) A lame horse.
(b) A rifle.
(d) A paper of ownership.
6. What happens to Boyd as he attempts to round up some of the horses?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is thrown from his horse.
(c) He faints.
(d) He falls into a ravine.
7. How did the man in the bar get his scars?
(a) Cactus punctures.
(b) Stab wounds.
(c) Spur wounds.
8. What kind of animal joins Billy as he seeks shelter from the rain?
(a) A fox.
(b) A deer.
(c) A dog.
(d) A wolf.
9. Where does Billy store Boyd's body overnight?
(a) In a shed.
(b) In a tree.
(c) In a stream.
(d) In a barn.
10. What do Billy and Boyd eat for dinner after rescuing their horses?
(b) Beef jerky.
11. Toward what city does Billy ride after crossing the border?
12. According to the army recruiter, one in ___________ boys who sign up for the military are not yet 18.
13. Billy finds a job with an outfit formerly known as _________________.
14. According to the girl, what type of man is useless?
(a) One who cannot love.
(b) One who is stingy.
(c) One who is unwilling to kill for his woman.
(d) One who is angry all the time.
15. How does Billy try to help the wounded horse?
(a) Makes bandages from a shirt.
(b) Packs the wound with clay.
(c) Rubs salve on his wound.
(d) Gives him whiskey to drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Billy when he goes to the army recruiting station?
2. The waitress gives Billy a free meal of __________________.
3. Where does Billy find shelter from the desert rain one evening?
4. On what holiday does Billy ride out?
5. Where does Billy work to earn enough money to get bus fare?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)