|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy do the morning after he sleeps in the barn?
(a) Makes coffee.
(b) Heads for home.
(c) Calls for the dog.
(d) Commits suicide.
2. What does Billy offer the doctor as payment for Boyd's care?
3. Why is it impossible for Billy to get into the army even if a doctor passes him through?
(a) An army doctor will find his problem.
(b) He is not a U.S. citizen.
(c) He is too young.
(d) He is the oldest surviving male in his family.
4. What fact about Boyd does Billy tell the girl?
(a) He is tone deaf.
(b) He is color blind.
(c) He had a twin sister who died.
(d) He is illiterate.
5. How much money does Billy send to Mr. Sanders after his first payday?
6. What does the animal represent for Billy?
(a) His redemption.
(b) His inability to retrieve his life.
(c) His loyalty.
(d) His cruelty.
7. What drink does Billy refuse to drink?
(a) French coffee.
(b) Italian wine.
(c) English tea.
(d) Mexican mescal.
8. Where does Billy cross the border back into the United States?
(a) El Paso, Texas.
(b) San Diego, California.
(c) Columbus, New Mexico.
(d) Nogales, Arizona.
9. What does Billy do in the days after he buries Boyd?
(a) Rides out again with no destination.
(b) Returns to the family ranch.
(c) Marries Mr. Sanderson's granddaughter.
(d) Buries Mr. Sanderson.
10. How old is Billy when he goes to the army recruiting station?
11. What healing concoction do the gypsies give the horse?
(a) Olive oil and cayenne.
(b) Hot water with leaves.
(c) Hot water with whiskey.
(d) Sassafras tea.
12. What is in the cart that the gypsies are pulling?
(a) An armoire.
(b) A stove.
(c) A statue.
(d) An airplane.
13. What does the young girl want to do?
(a) Return home.
(b) Stay with a rancher's family.
(c) Go with Billy and Boyd.
(d) Go out on her own.
14. What is the name of the horse that Mr. Parham used to ride?
15. What do Boyd and the girl do that surprises Billy?
(a) Leave without telling him.
(b) Get married.
(c) Return to the Parham ranch.
(d) Throw a birthday party for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor accept as payment for his services?
2. How does Billy try to help the wounded horse?
3. The girl's grandmother claimed that men of __________ are always successful except in times of war.
4. What does the sheriff say to Billy when he finds him digging a grave for Boyd?
5. How old is Boyd when he runs away with the girl?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)