|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Billy try to help the wounded horse?
(a) Gives him whiskey to drink.
(b) Packs the wound with clay.
(c) Makes bandages from a shirt.
(d) Rubs salve on his wound.
2. What healing concoction do the gypsies give the horse?
(a) Hot water with whiskey.
(b) Sassafras tea.
(c) Olive oil and cayenne.
(d) Hot water with leaves.
3. The young girl tells Billy that her grandmother had been married and widowed __________ times by the age of 20.
4. What does a girl in the young girl's hometown tell Billy?
(a) Boyd is buried in San Buenaventura.
(b) Boyd left the young girl to return home.
(c) Boyd and the young girl married recently.
(d) Boyd and the young girl have moved back east.
5. Where does Billy work to earn enough money to get bus fare?
(a) A diner.
(b) A stable.
(c) A gas station.
(d) A dry cleaners.
6. What does Billy note about his life now that Boyd is gone?
(a) It is quieter.
(b) It is less.
(c) It is the end.
(d) It is better.
7. Billy finds a job with an outfit formerly known as _________________.
8. What new item does Billy have with him for this trip into Mexico?
9. Who is tending more of the Parhams' horses when Billy and Boyd find them?
(a) A cowboy.
(b) Three girls.
(c) Two young boys.
(d) A rancher.
10. What affliction does the animal seem to have?
(b) Open wound.
(d) Hearing problem.
11. What does Billy do the morning after he sleeps in the barn?
(a) Commits suicide.
(b) Calls for the dog.
(c) Makes coffee.
(d) Heads for home.
12. What request does Boyd ask of Billy?
(a) To give him more whiskey.
(b) To go get the girl.
(c) To pray for him.
(d) To go on without him.
13. What is Billy's mother's first name?
14. How is Billy's horse wounded in the encounter with some rogue riders?
(a) He is hanged.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is stabbed in the chest.
(d) He is stoned.
15. What does the blind man's wife prepare for Billy to eat?
(a) Boiled eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Billy's dream, what does Boyd reply when Billy asks him what it's like to be dead?
2. What does the doctor accept as payment for his services?
3. Why is it impossible for Billy to get into the army even if a doctor passes him through?
4. How old is Boyd when he runs away with the girl?
5. What does the man in charge of the herd of horses give to Billy?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)