|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the border guard tell Billy when he crosses back into the U.S.?
(a) He is too young to be riding randomly through Mexico.
(b) He has to pay a border fee.
(c) He needs identification papers.
(d) Billy can join the military because the U.S. is at war.
2. What does Billy offer the doctor as payment for Boyd's care?
3. What does the man who had once given the boys permission to take the horses tell Billy?
(a) Boyd was killed in retaliation for killing another man.
(b) Boyd was killed in a barroom brawl.
(c) Boyd was hanged for cattle rustling.
(d) Boyd committed suicide.
4. Billy finds a job with an outfit formerly known as _________________.
5. What name does Billy sign on his army induction form?
(a) John William Parham.
(b) Ella Mae Parham.
(c) Louisa May Parham.
(d) William Edward Parham.
6. What do Boyd and the girl do that surprises Billy?
(a) Get married.
(b) Return to the Parham ranch.
(c) Leave without telling him.
(d) Throw a birthday party for him.
7. Where does Billy go to sleep off a hangover after leaving the cantina?
(a) A bed and breakfast.
(b) An open barn.
(c) A cave.
(d) A hotel.
8. Who catches up to Billy and Boyd when they are trying to escape with their horses?
(a) The sheriff and deputies.
(b) A rancher and ranch hands.
(c) Two old men.
(d) A boy and vaqueros.
9. What does the doctor's servant return to the farm where the Parham boys are staying the next day?
(a) Boyd's horse.
(b) Billy's money.
(c) Billy's horse.
(d) Billy's knife.
10. How did the man in the bar get his scars?
(b) Spur wounds.
(c) Stab wounds.
(d) Cactus punctures.
11. Where does Billy store Boyd's body overnight?
(a) In a shed.
(b) In a tree.
(c) In a barn.
(d) In a stream.
12. What does Billy note about his life now that Boyd is gone?
(a) It is better.
(b) It is less.
(c) It is the end.
(d) It is quieter.
13. Why does the leader of the bandits berate one of his men?
(a) For killing a good horse with no reason.
(b) For stealing from a grieving man.
(c) For desecrating a dead body.
(d) For not taking Billy's rifle.
14. How old is Boyd when he runs away with the girl?
15. What does the animal represent for Billy?
(a) His redemption.
(b) His cruelty.
(c) His loyalty.
(d) His inability to retrieve his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy learn when he returns to the home of the doctor?
2. Who had packed Boyd's wounds with herbs?
3. What does Billy do with Boyd's body when he finds it?
4. What is unusual about this morning?
5. What does Billy do while sitting on the roadway?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)