|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are some men in the bar angry at Billy?
(a) He isn't in uniform.
(b) He is flirting with their girlfriends.
(c) He cheats at cards.
(d) He doesn't buy drinks for anybody.
2. How old is Billy when he goes to the army recruiting station?
3. In what city does Billy try to enter the army a second time?
(d) El Paso.
4. Where does Billy sleep when he reaches his destination?
(a) Homeless shelter.
(c) Bus station.
(d) Train station.
5. What is Billy's mother's first name?
6. Why is it impossible for Billy to get into the army even if a doctor passes him through?
(a) He is the oldest surviving male in his family.
(b) He is not a U.S. citizen.
(c) An army doctor will find his problem.
(d) He is too young.
7. What does the young girl want to do?
(a) Go with Billy and Boyd.
(b) Return home.
(c) Go out on her own.
(d) Stay with a rancher's family.
8. On what holiday does Billy ride out?
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) New Year's Day.
9. The girl's grandmother claimed that men of __________ are always successful except in times of war.
10. What does the girl reply when Billy tells her about Boyd's dead twin sister.
(a) Now he has another.
(b) That is so sad.
(c) I had no idea.
(d) She was too young to die.
11. What does the doctor accept as payment for his services?
12. The young girl tells Billy that her grandmother had been married and widowed __________ times by the age of 20.
13. What does the unusual weather represent for Billy?
(a) The unusual path of his life.
(b) His temperament.
(c) The swift passing of time.
(d) His search for live.
14. What does the man who had once given the boys permission to take the horses tell Billy?
(a) Boyd was killed in a barroom brawl.
(b) Boyd was killed in retaliation for killing another man.
(c) Boyd was hanged for cattle rustling.
(d) Boyd committed suicide.
15. What does the animal represent for Billy?
(a) His loyalty.
(b) His inability to retrieve his life.
(c) His cruelty.
(d) His redemption.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Boyd as he attempts to round up some of the horses?
2. What does Billy tell the stranger about Boyd?
3. What does Billy use to chase away the animal?
4. What does the border guard tell Billy when he crosses back into the U.S.?
5. What fact about Boyd does Billy tell the girl?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)