|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the girl reply when Billy tells her about Boyd's dead twin sister.
(a) Now he has another.
(b) She was too young to die.
(c) That is so sad.
(d) I had no idea.
2. According to the girl, what type of man is useless?
(a) One who is unwilling to kill for his woman.
(b) One who cannot love.
(c) One who is angry all the time.
(d) One who is stingy.
3. On what holiday does Billy ride out?
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Christmas Day.
4. According to Boyd's tombstone, what date did Boyd die?
(a) February 24, 1915.
(b) February 24, 1951.
(c) February 24, 1963.
(d) February 24, 1943.
5. What does the army recruiter give to Billy and the other boys?
(d) Meal tickets.
6. What request does Boyd ask of Billy?
(a) To go get the girl.
(b) To pray for him.
(c) To go on without him.
(d) To give him more whiskey.
7. What kind of animals is pulling the gypsy cart?
8. What happens to one of the men who approach Billy and Boyd and engage in a melee?
(a) His leg is broken.
(b) His back is broken.
(c) His arm is shattered.
(d) His skull is fractured.
9. What does Billy do with Boyd's body when he finds it?
(a) Wraps it in tarp and puts it on a packhorse.
(b) Donates the body to science.
(c) Has the body cremated.
(d) Puts the lid back on the coffin and buries it.
10. What does Billy note about his life now that Boyd is gone?
(a) It is less.
(b) It is quieter.
(c) It is the end.
(d) It is better.
11. Who catches up to Billy and Boyd when they are trying to escape with their horses?
(a) Two old men.
(b) The sheriff and deputies.
(c) A rancher and ranch hands.
(d) A boy and vaqueros.
12. What does Boyd loan the young girl before they leave?
(a) A horse.
13. What affliction does the animal seem to have?
(c) Open wound.
(d) Hearing problem.
14. Why does the leader of the bandits berate one of his men?
(a) For killing a good horse with no reason.
(b) For desecrating a dead body.
(c) For stealing from a grieving man.
(d) For not taking Billy's rifle.
15. What does the doctor's servant return to the farm where the Parham boys are staying the next day?
(a) Billy's knife.
(b) Billy's horse.
(c) Billy's money.
(d) Boyd's horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Billy, Boyd, and the young girl stay for awhile?
2. What does the blind man's wife prepare for Billy to eat?
3. According to the army recruiter, one in ___________ boys who sign up for the military are not yet 18.
4. Where does Billy store Boyd's body overnight?
5. The waitress gives Billy a free meal of __________________.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)