|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Billy try to help the wounded horse?
(a) Makes bandages from a shirt.
(b) Gives him whiskey to drink.
(c) Packs the wound with clay.
(d) Rubs salve on his wound.
2. The young girl tells Billy that her grandmother had been married and widowed __________ times by the age of 20.
3. Who does Billy visit before heading back to Mexico?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) Mr. Sanders.
4. Where do Billy, Boyd, and the young girl stay for awhile?
(a) In the desert.
(b) At a convent.
(c) At their uncle's ranch.
(d) A village of farm workers.
5. What does Billy note about his life now that Boyd is gone?
(a) It is the end.
(b) It is better.
(c) It is less.
(d) It is quieter.
6. What is Billy's mother's first name?
7. What drink does Billy refuse to drink?
(a) English tea.
(b) French coffee.
(c) Mexican mescal.
(d) Italian wine.
8. What does Billy tell the stranger about Boyd?
(a) Boyd was better at life than Billy is.
(b) Boyd committed suicide.
(c) Boyd was a better shot than Billy is.
(d) Boyd was lucky at cards.
9. Why are Billy and Boyd approached by a gang of men?
(a) They are recruiting outlaws.
(b) They want the horses back.
(c) They are looking for runaways.
(d) They are border patrol guards.
10. What do Boyd and the girl do that surprises Billy?
(a) Return to the Parham ranch.
(b) Leave without telling him.
(c) Throw a birthday party for him.
(d) Get married.
11. What does Billy learn when he returns to the home of the doctor?
(a) The doctor is no longer practicing.
(b) The doctor has been taken hostage.
(c) The doctor has moved back east.
(d) The doctor has died.
12. What is the name of the family at whose farm Boyd has been recovering?
13. Who catches up to Billy and Boyd when they are trying to escape with their horses?
(a) A rancher and ranch hands.
(b) The sheriff and deputies.
(c) A boy and vaqueros.
(d) Two old men.
14. What does the woman reply when Billy challenges what she says?
(a) It will definitely come true.
(b) It is only a game.
(c) She has never been wrong.
(d) It is up to him what his future will be.
15. What does the blind man's wife prepare for Billy to eat?
(d) Boiled eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what holiday does Billy ride out?
2. How old is Boyd when he runs away with the girl?
3. Where does Billy store Boyd's body overnight?
4. What does Boyd loan the young girl before they leave?
5. What does the doctor's servant return to the farm where the Parham boys are staying the next day?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)