|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy trade for the dead wolf?
(a) His money.
(b) His rifle.
(c) His water.
(d) His horse.
2. What is the wolf doing when Billy sees her?
(a) She is caught in a trap.
(b) She is drinking from a stream.
(c) She is trotting through tall grass.
(d) She is howling.
3. When Billy encounters a man in a Model T car, what type of animal does Billy imply he is hunting?
4. What does Billy wrap the dead wolf in?
5. Who had predicted what would happen with the wolf?
(a) The old bedridden man.
(b) The rancher.
(c) His father.
6. Why had the wolf crossed into the United States from Mexico?
(a) There is no more food in her home area.
(b) She saw her mate caught in a trap.
(c) She was chased by poachers.
(d) She got lost.
7. Who is Billy Parham?
(a) The editor.
(b) The publisher.
(c) The author.
(d) The protagonist.
8. What do the men on the other side of the river ask Billy for?
(a) His documents.
9. Into what Mexican state does Billy cross into?
(d) San Luis Obispo.
10. What makes the wolf grow even wilder as Billy holds her?
(a) The Model T car approaches.
(b) A bear coming closer.
(c) The approaching thunderstorm.
(d) The sounds of gunshots.
11. Where is the wolf put while Billy has dinner with the man in the ranch house?
(a) The ice house.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The barn.
(d) The smokehouse.
12. Billy is confused about whether to kill the wolf or ____________________.
(a) yell for help.
(b) run away.
(c) free the wolf.
(d) go get his father.
13. What does Billy learn about his parents when he returns to his home?
(a) They moved back east.
(b) They have divorced.
(c) His mother is dead and his father is in jail.
(d) They have been murdered.
14. What name does the man in the ranch house call Billy?
15. What does Billy borrow from a border guard when he returns to the United States?
(a) A coat.
(b) A half dollar.
(c) A horse.
(d) A hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dog a symbol of in the story?
2. Where did the German doctor buy a horse?
3. What is Billy's immediate reaction upon seeing the wolf?
4. Which Parham family members have already died by the time the family moves?
5. What is the name of Billy's hometown?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)