|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the German doctor buy a horse?
(a) A livestock sale.
(b) At an auction.
(c) From a neighbor.
(d) From some Indians.
2. What does Billy go off alone to do after some instruction from his father?
(a) Hunt small animals.
(b) Herd the cattle.
(c) Catch some fish.
(d) Run the traps.
3. Where does Billy finally see the wolf?
(a) In the meadow.
(b) On a hilltop.
(c) By a stream.
(d) At the campsite.
4. What is the dog a symbol of in the story?
(c) What the boys have lost in their lives.
5. Who is Billy Parham?
(a) The editor.
(b) The protagonist.
(c) The publisher.
(d) The author.
6. What does the old man's caregiver warn Billy about?
(a) Bandits in the area.
(b) Getting caught in a trap.
(c) Being alone.
(d) The approaching storm.
7. What does the man in the ghost town advise Billy to do?
(a) Buy a ranch.
(b) Buy a new horse.
(c) Go east.
(d) Return home.
8. Which Parham family members have already died by the time the family moves?
(a) Brother and grandmother.
(b) Sister and grandmother.
(c) Both grandfathers
(d) Two sisters.
9. What does the rancher's wife give to Billy before he continues his trip?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A raincoat.
(c) A bag of food.
(d) A blanket.
10. Why had the wolf crossed into the United States from Mexico?
(a) There is no more food in her home area.
(b) She saw her mate caught in a trap.
(c) She got lost.
(d) She was chased by poachers.
11. An old man in an Indian tribe warns Billy of ______________________.
(a) the dangers of being alone too much.
(b) the snakes in the desert.
(c) the mounted rangers.
(d) the coyotes in the mountains.
12. What does Billy say when the man advises the boys to return home?
(a) They're not going without the horses.
(b) They think that is a good idea.
(c) They don't have a home to return to.
(d) They want to avenge their parents' murders first.
13. How old is Billy when he encounters the wolf?
14. How is the wolf killed?
(a) The property owner's son shoots him.
(b) She is attacked by a bear.
(c) Billy shoots her.
(d) She is trampled by the horse.
15. What does Billy learn about his parents when he returns to his home?
(a) They have divorced.
(b) They have been murdered.
(c) They moved back east.
(d) His mother is dead and his father is in jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Billy encounter later in the day and join for a meal?
2. Who rides with Billy and Boyd?
3. What does Mr. Parham plan to trade for to replace Billy's damaged one?
4. What does Billy note about his father when he rides out the next day?
5. What happened to the boys' dog during the attack at the Parhams' ranch?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)