|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following "varmints" was a popular pet in Cross Creek?
2. What did Rawlings comment on when she held a snake for the first time?
(a) Its beauty.
(b) Its scent.
(c) Its strength.
(d) Its texture
3. Which of the following people was terrified of the green frogs in Cross Creek?
(b) Widow Slater.
(c) Black Martha.
(d) Fred Thomkins.
4. How did Rawlings feel when Cross Creek was nearly overrun with frogs?
(a) She was terrified.
(b) She was confused.
(c) She was disgusted.
(d) She was delighted.
5. Which of the following fruits was sneaked into Rawlings at the hospital when she was ill with low fiber?
6. What was the name of Rawlings's cow?
7. Which of the following vegetables was regularly trimmed and cooked like asparagus?
(a) Mustard greens.
(b) Poke weed.
8. What had Rawlings and Kate's brother been hunting when they returned home to find the house destroyed?
9. Which of the following topics were frogs generally associated with?
(d) Good fortune.
10. Which flowers did Rawlings and Dessie study on their river adventure?
11. According to Rawlings, what color ant ate only dead tissue and had a deadly bite?
(a) Black ants.
(b) White ants.
(c) Brown ants.
(d) Red ants.
12. Which of the following people feared that the tracks surrounding Rawlings's cabin belonged to ghosts?
(b) Widow Slater.
13. According to Rawlings's research, how long would it take termites to eat a house to the ground?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 5 years.
14. Who caused the pain that led Rawlings to develop a deeper intimacy with nature instead of humans?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her daughter.
15. Which of the following varmints was NOT one Rawlings regularly cooked and ate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was the only animal Rawlings claimed she would never kill to eat?
2. Which of the following types of snakes is the fastest on land?
3. Which of the following types of bread was NOT typically served in Florida?
4. How did Rawlings feel about the neighboring pigs eating from her farm?
5. What unusual meat was Governor Grant said to be a fan of?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)