|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following birds did Rawlings build a pen for on her property?
2. Which of the following types of snake did Rawlings once skin?
(a) A rattle snake.
(b) A coral snake.
(c) A water moccasin.
(d) A black snake.
3. Which of the following birds were almost extinct in Cross Creek until the government began to protect them?
4. What emotion overcame Rawlings while she was out hunting with her herpetologist friend?
5. What holiday did the old man who showed up on Rawlings's doorstep believe was Thanksgiving?
(b) Valentine's Day.
(c) Fourth of July.
6. What state was Rawlings in when Dessie suggested they take a trip together?
7. Who caused the pain that led Rawlings to develop a deeper intimacy with nature instead of humans?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
8. Which of the following was NOT a bad omen Rawlings noticed on the day the convict escaped in Cross Creek?
(a) A blue-tailed lizard.
(b) Lethargic dogs.
(c) Long shadows.
(d) A praying mantis.
9. Which of the following dead animals was thought to induce rain in Cross Creek?
10. Which of the following birds most excited Rawlings when it came to visit her farm?
(a) A woodpecker.
(b) A hummingbird.
(c) A blue jay.
(d) A sparrow.
11. Which of the following was another name for salted pork in Florida?
(a) Marbled bacon.
(b) White bacon.
(c) Black bacon.
(d) Pink bacon.
12. At what unusual location did Rawlings and her friend Fred eat dinner after having their car stuck in soft sand?
(a) At a prison.
(b) At a church.
(c) At a hospital.
(d) At a homeless shelter.
13. According to Rawlings, the test of true beauty was the ability to withstand what?
(d) Self reflection.
14. Which of the following is NOT a weapon Rawlings believed was bestowed upon African-American servants?
(a) The tenacity to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.
(b) The freedom to walk out on a job.
(c) The right to make their employers miserable.
(d) The carefree nature to enjoy the simple things in life.
15. What did Rawlings claim the land was waiting for in fall?
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual meat was Governor Grant said to be a fan of?
2. Which of the following creatures did Rawlings fear above all others while she was living in Cross Creek?
3. Which of Martha's relatives did Samson marry?
4. What did Rawlings comment on when she held a snake for the first time?
5. Which of the following themes did Rawlings believe was "customary in slave psychology"?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)