|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following dead animals was thought to induce rain in Cross Creek?
2. How did neighboring towns warn those in Cross Creek of impending frost?
(a) With a telephone call.
(b) With a smoke signal.
(c) They did not warn of changing weather.
(d) With a train whistle.
3. Which of the following themes did Rawlings believe was "customary in slave psychology"?
4. According to Rawlings, which season suggested "relaxation and indolence"?
5. What river did Dessie and Rawlings travel together?
(a) The St. John River.
(b) The Halifax River.
(c) The Ocklawaha River.
(d) The Mississippi River.
6. Which of the following insects did Rawlings believe was the biggest annoyance?
7. Which of the following creatures did Rawlings fear above all others while she was living in Cross Creek?
8. Which of the following people was terrified of the green frogs in Cross Creek?
(a) Widow Slater.
(b) Black Martha.
(d) Fred Thomkins.
9. What was the average temperature in Cross Creek in the fall?
10. Which of the following birds most excited Rawlings when it came to visit her farm?
(a) A sparrow.
(b) A hummingbird.
(c) A blue jay.
(d) A woodpecker.
11. Which of the following months was considered the stormiest in Cross Creek?
12. Which of the following stereotypes was NOT one Rawlings exposed in her discussions of her servants?
(a) That her servants were unintelligent.
(b) That her servants were childish.
(c) That her servants were giddy.
(d) That her servants were untrustworthy.
13. What did Rawlings hang in the orange groves to repel hawks?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A gin bottle.
(c) A dirty tennis shoe.
(d) A maypole.
14. What type of animal was Ferdinand?
(a) A steed.
(b) A rooster.
(c) A billy goat.
(d) A bull.
15. To which country's ancestors did Rawlings compare the frogs in Cross Creek?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Rawlings's mother and grandmother famous for?
2. Which of the following people feared that the tracks surrounding Rawlings's cabin belonged to ghosts?
3. According to Rawlings's research, how long would it take termites to eat a house to the ground?
4. Which of the following is NOT a weapon Rawlings believed was bestowed upon African-American servants?
5. Which flowers did Rawlings and Dessie study on their river adventure?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)