|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Walter and Evelyn living at the end of the story?
2. What does Lucas criticize Evelyn for when they are sitting on the boat?
3. What is read from the papyrus?
4. What does Amelia tell Lucas will redeem him in the eyes of Radcliffe Emerson?
5. What sounds do Radcliffe and Amelia hear as they are tending to the victim on the path?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the two couples settle down to live their married lives? Do the four main characters all get what they want at the end of the novel? Why is this a satisfying end to the story?
2. Evelyn is concerned for the safety of the group and thinks the mummy will leave them alone if she agrees to marry Lucas and the two of them depart. How does Amelia react to Evelyn's plan? What does this tell us about the two women and how well they know each other?
3. When Radcliffe arrives at the excavation site the morning after the failed capture of the mummy, what does he find? Who is with him? What do the two of them discuss? What changes are we seeing in these two strong-willed characters?
4. What does Lucas do to celebrate the engagement of Evelyn and Walter? What does he say about his broken heart? What wish does he have for the couple?
5. What does Lucas offer to Radcliffe as an apology for taking artifacts from the country? How does Emerson respond to the gift, and why?
6. The argument between Lucas and Walter and the subsequent engagement of Walter and Evelyn gives resolution to one of the love interests in the book. The problem of the mummy remains. What is the author doing in this chapter to prepare the reader for the climax of the mystery?
7. Who appears unannounced and uninvited to see Amelia and Evelyn? How is he greeted by the two women and the Emersons? Is it clear whether he is one of the protagonists or an antagonist?
8. Once again the love triangle between Evelyn, Walter and Lucas flares up as Evelyn announces she will marry Lucas. How do her friends react? How does Lucas attempt to be sure Walter will never be interested in Evelyn again? What does this tell us about his character?
9. What does Lucas do when Michael attempts to speak to Amelia in private? Why has Lucas done this? Why does Amelia react the way she does?
10. Why has Lucas invented this elaborate plot to capture Evelyn and force her to marry him? What are his real motives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evelyn interacts with three men before leaving Cairo. Who are these three men? Compare and contrast the three of them and provide as much detail as possible about each.
Essay Topic 2
Women in the 1880's were not given much opportunity to demonstrate their independence and natural abilities other than as wife and mother. Why does Amelia have the opportunity to travel the world and live independently? What has she done with her freedom and intelligence?
Essay Topic 3
Often, mystery writers are accused of withholding information from their readers in order to make it impossible to solve the mystery before the protagonists do. Was all the information needed to solve the case fairly presented in the novel? If you think so, outline some of the important details about the antagonists that were revealed earlier in the story, If not, what pieces of information were withheld, and were they important to solving the mystery?
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)