|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Evelyn announce as they are having tea?
2. What project does Emerson announce he would like to begin next?
3. Who among the group is best able to read the papyrus?
4. What does Amelia use to revive herself from her groggy state?
5. Who does Amelia say Walter reminds her of?
Short Essay Questions
1. The group decide to go along with Lucas' plan for catching the mummy the following evening. What is the plan, and why do the others go along with it? How does the plan backfire and cause more harm than good?
2. Why has Lucas invented this elaborate plot to capture Evelyn and force her to marry him? What are his real motives?
3. What does Amelia reveal to Walter that causes him to run after Evelyn and declare his love? How does Radcliffe react to his younger brother's impulsiveness?
4. When Radcliffe and Amelia are trapped with the ailing Michael by Lucas, what do the two realize about what has really been happening and Lucas' involvement in it all?
5. When Radcliffe arrives at the excavation site the morning after the failed capture of the mummy, what does he find? Who is with him? What do the two of them discuss? What changes are we seeing in these two strong-willed characters?
6. The argument between Lucas and Walter and the subsequent engagement of Walter and Evelyn gives resolution to one of the love interests in the book. The problem of the mummy remains. What is the author doing in this chapter to prepare the reader for the climax of the mystery?
7. What is the purpose of Chapter 8 in the story? Why is the chapter important to the novel? What does the chapter add to the love triangle of Evelyn, Walter and Lucas?
8. When Amelia wakes in the middle of the night, she finds Radcliffe in her room. Why is he there, and how does he protect Amelia? How does this scene compare to those in earlier chapters between the two characters?
9. What does Lucas do when Michael attempts to speak to Amelia in private? Why has Lucas done this? Why does Amelia react the way she does?
10. Why does Radcliffe want to speak with Amelia alone? Have his opinions of her changed in the last few days? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amelia explains to the reader that Evelyn is "too kind, and too truthful." She also states "both, I have found, are inconvenient character traits." Is Evelyn indeed too kind and too truthful? Why does Amelia believe these traits to be inconvenient? What is an example of this quality in Evelyn?
Essay Topic 2
Evelyn interacts with three men before leaving Cairo. Who are these three men? Compare and contrast the three of them and provide as much detail as possible about each.
Essay Topic 3
There are many characters in the novel who play against each other as foils. Identify three of these relationships, and explain how each person is enhanced by the characterization of the other.
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)