|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emerson explain the fact that they are so groggy after drinking the wine?
2. Who is shooting at Radcliffe?
3. Why has Lucas Hayes joined the group in Amarna?
4. Why does Lucas propose to capture Mohammed?
5. What does Evelyn suggest as bait for the mummy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Radcliffe want to speak with Amelia alone? Have his opinions of her changed in the last few days? How?
2. What are some examples of tension and suspense the author creates in this chapter? How does the author engage most of the main characters in the action of the chapter?
3. Once again the love triangle between Evelyn, Walter and Lucas flares up as Evelyn announces she will marry Lucas. How do her friends react? How does Lucas attempt to be sure Walter will never be interested in Evelyn again? What does this tell us about his character?
4. When Amelia wakes in the middle of the night, she finds Radcliffe in her room. Why is he there, and how does he protect Amelia? How does this scene compare to those in earlier chapters between the two characters?
5. What does Lucas do to celebrate the engagement of Evelyn and Walter? What does he say about his broken heart? What wish does he have for the couple?
6. Evelyn is concerned for the safety of the group and thinks the mummy will leave them alone if she agrees to marry Lucas and the two of them depart. How does Amelia react to Evelyn's plan? What does this tell us about the two women and how well they know each other?
7. What plan does Radcliffe come up with for the mummy the next evening, and why? What does he hope to prove? How do Amelia and Lucas play into the plan? What change do we see coming over Radcliffe as he makes this plan?
8. What does Lucas do when Michael attempts to speak to Amelia in private? Why has Lucas done this? Why does Amelia react the way she does?
9. What is the purpose of Chapter 8 in the story? Why is the chapter important to the novel? What does the chapter add to the love triangle of Evelyn, Walter and Lucas?
10. What does Lucas offer to Radcliffe as an apology for taking artifacts from the country? How does Emerson respond to the gift, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her novel, the author builds suspense to keep the reader interested. Name three of the techniques used to build suspense and give examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses devices such as verbal irony and sarcasm as character traits for some of the main characters. Which character stands out as one who speaks often with irony and sarcasm to get the point across? Provide examples of verbal irony and sarcasm and explain how they are important for that character.
Essay Topic 3
When Radcliffe and Amelia first argue, it is over the treatment of Egyptian treasures and antiquities. What position does each take on the subject, and what is their reasoning? Who ends up changing their position, and why?
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)