|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first symptom Amelia identifies when she tends to Radcliffe?
2. Who do Emerson and Amelia go to visit in the village?
3. What happens to her companion when Amelia reaches Rome?
4. What is the name of the boat that Amelia and Evelyn finally decide on?
5. What well-known Frenchman does Amelia want to meet while at the museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the morning after their dinner on the balcony, Walter arrives at their lodgings with news. What is he excited about? Why is the news important?
2. Why does Amelia suggest they stop in Armana? What does she hope will happen while they are in Armana? Is this in keeping with her personality?
3. Why does Radcliffe react so strongly to Amelia and Evelyn's work with the pavement? Is his reaction in character with his personality?
4. The night after Alberto's appearance, another gentleman from Evelyn's past comes to their hotel to say hello: Lucas Hayes. Who is Lucas Hayes, and why has he come to Cairo to see Evelyn? How does Evelyn respond to his visit, and why? What does Amelia think of Lucas, and why?
5. What news do Walter and Abdullah bring home with them after the trap to catch the mummy fails? What conclusions can be drawn from their failed attempt to catch the mummy?
6. What do Amelia and Evelyn do as they spend their time in Amarna tending to Radcliffe? Each is affected differently. How does each woman respond to her work?
7. What do Amelia and Evelyn discover when they arrive in Armana? How do the two women react? What do we learn about Walter in this scene?
8. What is the pavement of Khuenaten? What roles do Amelia and Evelyn play in preserving the pavement? What importance does this pavement have in the development of the story?
9. Who does Radcliffe believe has stolen the mummy from his work site? Why does he think this person is responsible, and how does he behave?
10. Amelia is asked by Michael to help in an emergency. How does Amelia help? What strange custom is revealed to Amelia and Evelyn during this experience? What do we learn about Amelia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is more than one climax in this novel. Define what a climax of a story is, and then identify the two points of climax in the story. How does each hold up to our definition of the purpose of the climax? Does the author satisfy the reader's hopes for the stories?
Essay Topic 2
The title Crocodile in the Sandbank is explained in the book. What does the title mean, and how does it relate to the relationship(s) in the book?
Essay Topic 3
There are many characters in the novel who play against each other as foils. Identify three of these relationships, and explain how each person is enhanced by the characterization of the other.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)