|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amelia receive upon her father's death?
2. What does Walter say is his concern about the men working on the site?
3. What do the villagers say that they see at night?
4. What have the men found at a tomb in the cliffs?
5. Who is Amelia's Italian guide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Amelia and Evelyn discover when they arrive in Armana? How do the two women react? What do we learn about Walter in this scene?
2. Who do Amelia and Evelyn meet when they travel to M. Maspero's museum? How do the four people react to each other? What does Amelia realize about Evelyn when they leave the museum?
3. The night after Alberto's appearance, another gentleman from Evelyn's past comes to their hotel to say hello: Lucas Hayes. Who is Lucas Hayes, and why has he come to Cairo to see Evelyn? How does Evelyn respond to his visit, and why? What does Amelia think of Lucas, and why?
4. Evelyn is visited by two suitors while she is in Cairo. How does she know each of them? How do they represent the two parts of her life that she is struggling with in the story?
5. What do the group discuss at dinner the first night Radcliffe is able to join them on the balcony for the meal? What is the mood during dinner?
6. Who does Radcliffe believe has stolen the mummy from his work site? Why does he think this person is responsible, and how does he behave?
7. How does Amelia describe Lucas Hayes? As the visit continues, how do the two respond to each other? Are they on friendly terms at the end of the chapter? Is Lucas the kind of man Amelia would find interesting or entertaining?
8. While in Beni Hassan, what does Amelia come to understand about Radcliffe Emerson's tirade on the antiquities of Egypt? How does this affect her?
9. Where does Amelia Peabody first meet Evelyn Barton-Forbes, and under what circumstances? What does this meeting tell the reader about Amelia Peabody's character?
10. How has it come to pass that Ms. Peabody is independently wealthy? What does she do for a living? Where does she live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evelyn interacts with three men before leaving Cairo. Who are these three men? Compare and contrast the three of them and provide as much detail as possible about each.
Essay Topic 2
The two strong characters in the novel are Radcliffe and Amelia. The quieter, more reserved characters are Walter and Evelyn. In what ways are Radcliffe and Amelia similar, and does this add to the love story in the novel? In what ways are Walter and Evelyn similar, and are they believable characters?
Essay Topic 3
In a mystery novel, there must be motivation for the main character or characters to solve the mystery. What are some of the motives the four central characters reveal for wanting to solve the mystery? Are these believable motives? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)