|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amelia have the men build so that she may continue to work on the pavement?
2. Why does Amelia believe Evelyn will not be her traveling companion after their return from Egypt?
3. Why does Abdullah think the men have stopped singing while they work?
4. Why does Walter speak curtly to Radcliffe during their dinner?
5. Who do Emerson and Amelia go to visit in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Amelia come up with to solve the problem and catch the walking mummy? What characters are involved in the plan? Who do they suspect to be the mummy who comes out at night?
2. The night after Alberto's appearance, another gentleman from Evelyn's past comes to their hotel to say hello: Lucas Hayes. Who is Lucas Hayes, and why has he come to Cairo to see Evelyn? How does Evelyn respond to his visit, and why? What does Amelia think of Lucas, and why?
3. What do both Amelia and Evelyn realize they have seen in the dark at night? What do they decide to do about the problem?
4. When Amelia takes Evelyn shopping, what does she learn about Evelyn? What does she learn about herself? Why is this important to Amelia?
5. Why does Radcliffe react so strongly to Amelia and Evelyn's work with the pavement? Is his reaction in character with his personality?
6. How does Alberto explain to Evelyn his disappearance in Rome? Does Evelyn believe him? What important quality of Evelyn's is reinforced in this scene? How does Amelia rid Evelyn of Alberto?
7. In the morning after their dinner on the balcony, Walter arrives at their lodgings with news. What is he excited about? Why is the news important?
8. Why do Radcliffe, Amelia, Evelyn and Walter visit the village of Haggi Qandil? Who do they want to speak to, and what do they hope to accomplish?
9. How does Amelia describe Lucas Hayes? As the visit continues, how do the two respond to each other? Are they on friendly terms at the end of the chapter? Is Lucas the kind of man Amelia would find interesting or entertaining?
10. What do Amelia and Evelyn do as they spend their time in Amarna tending to Radcliffe? Each is affected differently. How does each woman respond to her work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters in the novel who play against each other as foils. Identify three of these relationships, and explain how each person is enhanced by the characterization of the other.
Essay Topic 2
The setting of the novel is Egypt. How does the author create the mood of the novel using the setting? Could this story have taken place anywhere else and still have been realistic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A good mystery novel can involve detection and a love story. Do you think the author has successfully balanced the mystery and the love stories in her novel? Support your position.
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)