|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has followed Evelyn to Cairo and appears at her door her last night there?
2. What do body cavities of mummies often contain?
3. What happens to her companion when Amelia reaches Rome?
4. What does Amelia tell Walter to instruct the cooks to make for the group the day following Radcliffe's crisis?
5. What interrupts the evening for Amelia and Evelyn and sends them back to their rooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Amelia Peabody first meet Evelyn Barton-Forbes, and under what circumstances? What does this meeting tell the reader about Amelia Peabody's character?
2. While in Beni Hassan, what does Amelia come to understand about Radcliffe Emerson's tirade on the antiquities of Egypt? How does this affect her?
3. Amelia goes to bed after meeting Alberto and has a disturbing experience. What does she see and what happens? What qualities of Amelia's are reinforced in this event?
4. What name is Amelia given by the villagers in Beni Hassan? Why has she earned this name? Is it a fitting name?
5. Amelia is awakened in the middle of the night. What wakes her, and how does she respond? What does she find in the morning that confuses her even more?
6. Why does Amelia suggest they stop in Armana? What does she hope will happen while they are in Armana? Is this in keeping with her personality?
7. Evelyn is visited by two suitors while she is in Cairo. How does she know each of them? How do they represent the two parts of her life that she is struggling with in the story?
8. How does Alberto explain to Evelyn his disappearance in Rome? Does Evelyn believe him? What important quality of Evelyn's is reinforced in this scene? How does Amelia rid Evelyn of Alberto?
9. How has it come to pass that Ms. Peabody is independently wealthy? What does she do for a living? Where does she live?
10. What does Lucas tell Evelyn that her grandfather had done with all of her possessions? How does she react to this story? How does Amelia react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amelia explains to the reader that Evelyn is "too kind, and too truthful." She also states "both, I have found, are inconvenient character traits." Is Evelyn indeed too kind and too truthful? Why does Amelia believe these traits to be inconvenient? What is an example of this quality in Evelyn?
Essay Topic 2
When Lucas proposes a toast to Walter and Evelyn, he says "To Evelyn's future! May it bring all that her closest kinsmen could desire!" On the surface, it is a pleasant toast. What is the real meaning of this toast?
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the novel is Egypt. How does the author create the mood of the novel using the setting? Could this story have taken place anywhere else and still have been realistic? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)