|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Evelyn suggest as bait for the mummy?
(a) That she walk to the river alone.
(b) That she plan to meet Mohammed alone.
(c) That she be alone at night.
(d) That she dye her hair and wear dark glasses.
2. What does Evelyn announce as they are having tea?
(a) She is marrying Lucas and leaving right away.
(b) She is in love with Radcliffe.
(c) She is marrying Walter.
(d) She is leaving on the next train.
3. What does Lucas offer to obtain for Evelyn?
(a) The possessions she left in Cairo.
(b) The boxes of her belongings that her grandfather sent.
(c) The money she has inherited.
(d) The truth about her heritage.
4. Why does Radcliffe believe Amelia needs recuperative sleep after their meeting?
(a) She has begun crying.
(b) She has not made any sense when she speaks.
(c) She has not made a sarcastic remark for ten minutes.
(d) She has decided there is no mummy; it is a figment of their imaginations.
5. What sounds do Radcliffe and Amelia hear as they are tending to the victim on the path?
(a) Evelyn's screams.
(b) Truck horns.
(c) An avalanche.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting to take care of Amelia and Radcliffe after his injury?
2. Why do Lucas and Walter get into a fight as they are walking with Evelyn?
3. What has Lucas brought with him to the camp site for protection?
4. What does Lucas prepare for the group in the late afternoon after Radcliffe is injured?
5. What is the crocodile a symbol for in the reading of the papyrus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucas do to celebrate the engagement of Evelyn and Walter? What does he say about his broken heart? What wish does he have for the couple?
2. Who appears unannounced and uninvited to see Amelia and Evelyn? How is he greeted by the two women and the Emersons? Is it clear whether he is one of the protagonists or an antagonist?
3. The argument between Lucas and Walter and the subsequent engagement of Walter and Evelyn gives resolution to one of the love interests in the book. The problem of the mummy remains. What is the author doing in this chapter to prepare the reader for the climax of the mystery?
4. Why does Radcliffe want to speak with Amelia alone? Have his opinions of her changed in the last few days? How?
5. When Radcliffe arrives at the excavation site the morning after the failed capture of the mummy, what does he find? Who is with him? What do the two of them discuss? What changes are we seeing in these two strong-willed characters?
6. in the end, everyone decides not to take Lucas to court for what he has done. Why do they make this decision, and what happens to Lucas?
7. Once again the love triangle between Evelyn, Walter and Lucas flares up as Evelyn announces she will marry Lucas. How do her friends react? How does Lucas attempt to be sure Walter will never be interested in Evelyn again? What does this tell us about his character?
8. Evelyn is concerned for the safety of the group and thinks the mummy will leave them alone if she agrees to marry Lucas and the two of them depart. How does Amelia react to Evelyn's plan? What does this tell us about the two women and how well they know each other?
9. What does Amelia reveal to Walter that causes him to run after Evelyn and declare his love? How does Radcliffe react to his younger brother's impulsiveness?
10. What does Lucas offer to Radcliffe as an apology for taking artifacts from the country? How does Emerson respond to the gift, and why?
This section contains 1,609 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)