|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucas prepare for the group in the late afternoon after Radcliffe is injured?
(a) An explanation of how much he loves Evelyn.
(b) A fancy table with flowers, silverware and liquor for all.
(c) Pate and crackers.
(d) A song to lift their spirits.
2. What is the crocodile a symbol for in the reading of the papyrus?
(a) The importance of nature to the Egyptians.
(b) The god-like status of the crocodile.
(c) The dangers of crossing the NIle.
(d) The dangers lovers will risk for true love.
3. Where does Radcliffe take Amelia after lunch?
(a) To the river.
(b) To the balcony for a drink.
(c) To the royal tomb.
(d) To the tomb with all of the archaeological tools.
4. What does Amelia tell Radcliffe as they end their conversation about Walter and Evelyn?
(a) His hair is on fire.
(b) His shoe is on fire.
(c) His tent is on fire.
(d) His pocket is on fire.
5. Where does Emerson suspect the mummy's costume was purchased?
(a) In Cairo.
(b) In Minieh.
(c) In Alexandria.
(d) In Maspero.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emerson say he referred to Amelia by calling her "Amelia" instead of Peabody?
2. What does Lucas criticize Evelyn for when they are sitting on the boat?
3. What did Evelyn's grandfather pack in her box of possessions that he sent out of the house?
4. What does Amelia do after Radcliffe fires the gun in her room?
5. What is one alternative considered by Amelia as a solution to the problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Radcliffe arrives at the excavation site the morning after the failed capture of the mummy, what does he find? Who is with him? What do the two of them discuss? What changes are we seeing in these two strong-willed characters?
2. The argument between Lucas and Walter and the subsequent engagement of Walter and Evelyn gives resolution to one of the love interests in the book. The problem of the mummy remains. What is the author doing in this chapter to prepare the reader for the climax of the mystery?
3. Why does Radcliffe want to speak with Amelia alone? Have his opinions of her changed in the last few days? How?
4. What plan does Radcliffe come up with for the mummy the next evening, and why? What does he hope to prove? How do Amelia and Lucas play into the plan? What change do we see coming over Radcliffe as he makes this plan?
5. When Radcliffe and Amelia are trapped with the ailing Michael by Lucas, what do the two realize about what has really been happening and Lucas' involvement in it all?
6. Where do the two couples settle down to live their married lives? Do the four main characters all get what they want at the end of the novel? Why is this a satisfying end to the story?
7. What does Lucas offer to Radcliffe as an apology for taking artifacts from the country? How does Emerson respond to the gift, and why?
8. Once again the love triangle between Evelyn, Walter and Lucas flares up as Evelyn announces she will marry Lucas. How do her friends react? How does Lucas attempt to be sure Walter will never be interested in Evelyn again? What does this tell us about his character?
9. Evelyn is concerned for the safety of the group and thinks the mummy will leave them alone if she agrees to marry Lucas and the two of them depart. How does Amelia react to Evelyn's plan? What does this tell us about the two women and how well they know each other?
10. Why has Lucas invented this elaborate plot to capture Evelyn and force her to marry him? What are his real motives?
This section contains 1,599 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)