|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Emerson go the morning after the foiled attempt to find the identity of the mummy?
(a) To his tomb.
(b) To his balcony for rest.
(c) To his pavement worksite.
(d) To find Abdullah.
2. Why do Lucas and Walter get into a fight as they are walking with Evelyn?
(a) Lucas has insulted Evelyn's honor.
(b) Lucas has insulted Walter.
(c) Walter has lost his mind and is delirius.
(d) Walter has wanted to punch Lucas for days.
3. What does Amelia consider an intolerable solution to the problem of the mummy?
(a) Procuring firearms for everyone.
(b) Allowing Evelyn to sleep alone in the boat.
(c) Traveling with Lucas on his boat.
(d) Leaving the Emersons and returning home.
4. What does Amelia see as she stares into the dark night?
(a) A vision of what the land must have been like in the time of the pharaohs.
(b) A vision of building her house here.
(c) A vision of the wars between battling Egyptian forces.
(d) A vision of her wedding at this site.
5. Who slaps Amelia across the face?
(a) The mummy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amelia tell Radcliffe as they end their conversation about Walter and Evelyn?
2. Who announces to the group that a visitor has arrived?
3. Why does Emerson say he referred to Amelia by calling her "Amelia" instead of Peabody?
4. What does Lucas propose foiled the plan to catch Mohammed leave his house one night?
5. What is Amelia left to do while the others are chasing the mummy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some examples of tension and suspense the author creates in this chapter? How does the author engage most of the main characters in the action of the chapter?
2. Where do Amelia and Radcliffe go the afternoon of Lucas' arrival? What happens to them while they are talking and exploring their surroundings? How does the situation resolve? How does this add to the suspense building in the story?
3. What plan does Radcliffe come up with for the mummy the next evening, and why? What does he hope to prove? How do Amelia and Lucas play into the plan? What change do we see coming over Radcliffe as he makes this plan?
4. The group decide to go along with Lucas' plan for catching the mummy the following evening. What is the plan, and why do the others go along with it? How does the plan backfire and cause more harm than good?
5. What does Lucas offer to Radcliffe as an apology for taking artifacts from the country? How does Emerson respond to the gift, and why?
6. Who comes into Amelia's bed chamber in the middle of the night, and what does the person want? Why are they both still awake? What is the real motive for the visitor's concern?
7. What does Lucas do to celebrate the engagement of Evelyn and Walter? What does he say about his broken heart? What wish does he have for the couple?
8. Evelyn is concerned for the safety of the group and thinks the mummy will leave them alone if she agrees to marry Lucas and the two of them depart. How does Amelia react to Evelyn's plan? What does this tell us about the two women and how well they know each other?
9. Where do the two couples settle down to live their married lives? Do the four main characters all get what they want at the end of the novel? Why is this a satisfying end to the story?
10. What does Lucas do when Michael attempts to speak to Amelia in private? Why has Lucas done this? Why does Amelia react the way she does?
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)