|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Radcliffe and Walter Emerson headed off to next?
2. Who are the waiters on Amelia and Evelyn's dahabeeyah?
(a) Habib and Michael.
(b) Assan and Habib.
(c) Habib and Abdul.
(d) MIchael and Reis.
3. What well-known Frenchman does Amelia want to meet while at the museum?
(a) M. Maspero.
(b) M. Cooperman.
(c) M. Masanni.
(d) M. Kingsley.
4. Who wrote the book of hieroglyphics that Amelia has with her on the trip?
(a) Reverend Samuel Cook.
(b) Reverend Joseph Miller.
(c) Reverend Samuel Birch.
(d) Reverend Michael Bloom.
5. What does Emerson say about Evelyn's drawings of the pavement?
(a) "Are you an artist?"
(b) "Very nice work!"
(c) "These will not help me at all!"
(d) "Not at all bad."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has followed Evelyn to Cairo and appears at her door her last night there?
2. What is the name of the boat that Amelia and Evelyn finally decide on?
3. What does Lucas tell Evelyn about her grandfather's estate?
4. How old is Amelia when her father dies?
5. What does Amelia receive upon her father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alberto explain to Evelyn his disappearance in Rome? Does Evelyn believe him? What important quality of Evelyn's is reinforced in this scene? How does Amelia rid Evelyn of Alberto?
2. Who do Amelia and Evelyn meet when they travel to M. Maspero's museum? How do the four people react to each other? What does Amelia realize about Evelyn when they leave the museum?
3. Why does Radcliffe react so strongly to Amelia and Evelyn's work with the pavement? Is his reaction in character with his personality?
4. How does Amelia describe Lucas Hayes? As the visit continues, how do the two respond to each other? Are they on friendly terms at the end of the chapter? Is Lucas the kind of man Amelia would find interesting or entertaining?
5. In Chapter 2, the author introduces a group of male characters. Two of them are to travel with Amelia and Evelyn. Who are these men? What do we learn about them in this chapter? Does the reader know what role these characters play in the story?
6. What does Lucas tell Evelyn that her grandfather had done with all of her possessions? How does she react to this story? How does Amelia react?
7. What happens to Evelyn during dinner the last night in Cairo? Who has come to visit her, and why? What do we learn about Evelyn?
8. Why have the workmen left the dig site? What do we learn about the beliefs of the natives of the area?
9. Amelia is asked by Michael to help in an emergency. How does Amelia help? What strange custom is revealed to Amelia and Evelyn during this experience? What do we learn about Amelia?
10. While in Beni Hassan, what does Amelia come to understand about Radcliffe Emerson's tirade on the antiquities of Egypt? How does this affect her?
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)