|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emerson begin screaming about first thing in the morning?
(a) Someone has let the fire go out.
(b) Someone has stolen the mummy.
(c) Amelia has forbidden him to go to work.
(d) Walter has disappeared.
2. What does Amelia add to the tapioca and water to wash the pavement at the dig site?
(a) Starch and salt.
(b) Tea and bismuth.
(c) Salt and tea.
(d) Starch and bismuth.
3. Where is Radcliffe while Amelia and Evelyn are working?
(a) Cleaning off artifacts.
(b) Talking to the workmen.
(c) Resting from his illness.
(d) Excavating at a site.
4. What does Emerson say about Evelyn's drawings of the pavement?
(a) "Very nice work!"
(b) "Are you an artist?"
(c) "These will not help me at all!"
(d) "Not at all bad."
5. Why will the local workmen no longer work for the Emersons?
(a) The workers are frightened of the mummy.
(b) The workers are tired of Amelia butting into things.
(c) The workers want more money.
(d) The workers are exhausted and need time to rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amelia receive upon her father's death?
2. Who first teaches Evelyn how to draw?
3. What have the men found at a tomb in the cliffs?
4. Who wrote the book of hieroglyphics that Amelia has with her on the trip?
5. What do Evelyn and Amelia decide to do first thing in the morning after their midnight talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the morning after their dinner on the balcony, Walter arrives at their lodgings with news. What is he excited about? Why is the news important?
2. What name is Amelia given by the villagers in Beni Hassan? Why has she earned this name? Is it a fitting name?
3. What happens to Evelyn during dinner the last night in Cairo? Who has come to visit her, and why? What do we learn about Evelyn?
4. How does Amelia describe Lucas Hayes? As the visit continues, how do the two respond to each other? Are they on friendly terms at the end of the chapter? Is Lucas the kind of man Amelia would find interesting or entertaining?
5. What do Amelia and Evelyn do as they spend their time in Amarna tending to Radcliffe? Each is affected differently. How does each woman respond to her work?
6. The night after Alberto's appearance, another gentleman from Evelyn's past comes to their hotel to say hello: Lucas Hayes. Who is Lucas Hayes, and why has he come to Cairo to see Evelyn? How does Evelyn respond to his visit, and why? What does Amelia think of Lucas, and why?
7. Amelia is asked by Michael to help in an emergency. How does Amelia help? What strange custom is revealed to Amelia and Evelyn during this experience? What do we learn about Amelia?
8. Amelia goes to bed after meeting Alberto and has a disturbing experience. What does she see and what happens? What qualities of Amelia's are reinforced in this event?
9. What does Lucas tell Evelyn that her grandfather had done with all of her possessions? How does she react to this story? How does Amelia react?
10. Who does Radcliffe believe has stolen the mummy from his work site? Why does he think this person is responsible, and how does he behave?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)