|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the villagers say that they see at night?
(a) The ghost of Pharaoh Khuenaten.
(b) The stars in the sky.
(c) The mummy walking through their village.
(d) Amon's ghostly figure.
2. What does Amelia find on the floor of her room after the apparition vanishes?
(a) A black cape.
(b) A business card of Alberto's.
(c) A mummified hand.
(d) A small faience in the shape of the hawk god.
3. When Radcliffe asks Amelia if he is well enough to return to work tomorrow, what does he call her?
(a) Sitt Hakin.
(c) Sitt Hassan.
(d) Abdul Ababa.
4. What have the men found at a tomb in the cliffs?
(a) The costume the mummy has been wearing.
(b) A mummy.
(c) A trunk filled with gold coins.
(d) A king's fortune.
5. What does Emerson warn Amelia about working with her hands?
(a) They might become gangrened.
(b) They could become infected and need to be amputated.
(c) They may take a long time to recover in the desert.
(d) She needs to wear gloves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will the local workmen no longer work for the Emersons?
2. Why does Walter speak curtly to Radcliffe during their dinner?
3. What does Amelia have the men build so that she may continue to work on the pavement?
4. Why does Abdullah think the men have stopped singing while they work?
5. What do Evelyn and Amelia decide to do first thing in the morning after their midnight talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has it come to pass that Ms. Peabody is independently wealthy? What does she do for a living? Where does she live?
2. In Chapter 2, Amelia arranges for transportation for herself and Evelyn through Egypt. What method of transportation does she choose, and why? How does she go about making the arrangements? How do the fellow guests at the hotel respond to her idea?
3. What does Lucas tell Evelyn that her grandfather had done with all of her possessions? How does she react to this story? How does Amelia react?
4. Who do Amelia and Evelyn meet when they travel to M. Maspero's museum? How do the four people react to each other? What does Amelia realize about Evelyn when they leave the museum?
5. Why have the workmen left the dig site? What do we learn about the beliefs of the natives of the area?
6. Amelia goes to bed after meeting Alberto and has a disturbing experience. What does she see and what happens? What qualities of Amelia's are reinforced in this event?
7. What is the pavement of Khuenaten? What roles do Amelia and Evelyn play in preserving the pavement? What importance does this pavement have in the development of the story?
8. What name is Amelia given by the villagers in Beni Hassan? Why has she earned this name? Is it a fitting name?
9. What do the group discuss at dinner the first night Radcliffe is able to join them on the balcony for the meal? What is the mood during dinner?
10. Amelia is awakened in the middle of the night. What wakes her, and how does she respond? What does she find in the morning that confuses her even more?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)