|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Amelia admit to Evelyn when Evelyn awakens her in the middle of the night?
(a) That she, too, is having nightmares.
(b) That she, too, wants to leave Egypt.
(c) That she, too, is in love with Walter.
(d) That she, too, has heard sounds and has seen a lurking figure.
2. What does Amelia tell Walter to instruct the cooks to make for the group the day following Radcliffe's crisis?
(a) A chicken.
(b) Shepherd's pie.
(c) Corned beef.
(d) Pea soup.
3. What do the villagers say that they see at night?
(a) The stars in the sky.
(b) The ghost of Pharaoh Khuenaten.
(c) The mummy walking through their village.
(d) Amon's ghostly figure.
4. Who first teaches Evelyn how to draw?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Lucas Hayes.
(d) Her father.
5. Why do the two women hire Michael Bedawee?
(a) To help them speak Arabic.
(b) To clean their boat.
(c) To guide them to the Nile.
(d) To be the dragoman.
6. Who do Amelia and Evelyn meet while at the museum?
(b) Simon Vance.
(c) Lucas Hayes.
(d) The Emerson brothers.
7. Before she leaves, from whom does Amelia receive a marriage proposal?
(a) Mr. Samuel Maspero, her tutor.
(b) Mr. Michael Bedawee, her guide.
(c) Mr. Lucas Hayes, her cousin.
(d) Mr. Fletcher, her lawyer.
8. What is Evelyn doing while Amelia works on the pavement?
(a) She is helping to clean the pavement.
(b) She is taking lunch.
(c) She is copying the painting on the pavement.
(d) She is flirting with Walter.
9. Where is Radcliffe while Amelia and Evelyn are working?
(a) Excavating at a site.
(b) Cleaning off artifacts.
(c) Talking to the workmen.
(d) Resting from his illness.
10. What do Emerson and Abdullah agree on about the situation with the villagers?
(a) The mummy has been stolen by someone who wants to cause dissention.
(b) The mummy was burned in a fire the night before.
(c) The mummy has just been hidden by a villager to protect it.
(d) The mummy has been stolen and sold by one of the villagers.
11. What does Alberto offer when he speaks to Evelyn in her sitting room?
(a) He proposes to run away with her.
(b) He offers to take her back to Rome.
(c) He offers a divorce.
(d) He proposes to marry her.
12. How does Amelia react when she sees the apparition?
(a) She attempts to grab it through the mosquito netting.
(b) She calls for Evelyn to come see it.
(c) She closes her eyes and pretends to sleep.
(d) She screams out in terror.
13. What does Amelia realize about Lucas' arrival in Cairo?
(a) He is there to serve Evelyn with legal papers.
(b) He is there to join them in the dahabeeyah for the journey.
(c) He is there to propose marriage to Evelyn.
(d) He is there to bring Evelyn home for the funeral.
14. How many children are in Amelia's family?
(a) She has five older brothers.
(b) She has six younger brothers.
(c) She has seven brothers and sisters.
(d) She has three siblings.
15. Who does Amelia hire as a companion for her journey?
(a) Miss Waldorf.
(b) Miss Pritchett.
(c) Miss Maspero.
(d) Mrs. Broom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Amelia and Evelyn go to secure their transportation through Egypt?
2. What does Amelia learn from her father's friend at the Finance Ministry?
3. What have the men found at a tomb in the cliffs?
4. From whom does Amelia learn foreign languages?
5. What is the name of the boat that Amelia and Evelyn finally decide on?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)