|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Rowanne described?
2. In whom is Meadow interested?
3. What age group are Debbie, Hector, Lenny, Phil and Patty?
4. What is Hector getting at the local church?
5. What does Debbie do with her necklace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Hector live in relation to Debbie, who is his sister and how does he feel about her?
2. What does Hector's first lesson involve and what disappoints him about that lesson?
3. What has Hector began to do and what compromise with his parents is involved?
4. What will Debbie, Phil and the others be studying at school?
5. What are Debbie and Patty discussing in Chapter Ten and what is their question?
6. How does Debbie experience a response to physical contact with Hector?
7. How does Rowanne use Hector being with her with her friends?
8. How do Debbie and Patty get their pants to look the way they want?
9. What is Hector's main concern this summer?
10. What happens as Debbie is saying the final words of her wish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Criss Cross" belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Debbie matures and grows throughout the book.
1. What do you think might be some of the reasons Debbie is maturing? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Debbie's maturity shown in the book is unrealistic in the short amount of time period the book covers? Why or why not?
3. Discuss the ways that Debbie shows changes in her maturity in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Criss Cross", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Criss Cross". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)