|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Babe claims she shot Zackery in the stomach because:
2. Babe's story suggests that Lenny broke up with Charlie Hill because:
3. Meg protests to the idea of Doc's wife because:
4. Chick suggests Lenny wait at home and do what?
5. Lenny's solo celebration suggests:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chick's motivations.
2. What does the mention of Billy Boy do for the mood of the scene right before Meg enters?
3. Why is Meg easily comforted by Barnette's sacrifice, while Babe is not?
4. What does Doc appear to want from his meeting with Meg?
5. What is ironic about Lenny's birthday wish?
6. What do Meg and Babe's comments about Charlie reveal about the sisters.
7. What kind of man does Doc Porter appear to be?
8. Chick is presented as "too big" for her pantyhose, and her hairstyle threatens to become too big also. What does this bigness suggest about her character?
9. What is ironic about Meg's response to the news about Old Granddaddy?
10. What is Meg's first reaction when she sees Lennie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A kitchen has many connotations. List a few of these connotations and defend or criticize Henley's choice of the Magrath kitchen as the central setting for the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Henley's motif of sweetness in the play. What message does the author emphasize through the "sweetness" of character actions, dialog, or foods? Use at least three specific examples to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you evaluate any character from the text as "successful" or "unsuccessful" according to their own standards and those of society in general.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)