|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Babe explodes at Chick, which indicates:
2. During the argument Lenny reveals:
3. What secret does Babe reveal about Lenny to Meg?
4. Chick tells Lennie that Lenny's gift to her daughter fell apart because:
5. Chick suggests Lenny wait at home and do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barnette's reaction to Babe's story reveal about his character?
2. How does Babe explain her mother's fear of dying alone?
3. What do the candy, cokes, and lemonade symbolize for the girls?
4. In their discussion of the rules for "hearts," the girls remember that hearts are bad, which suggests what?
5. Why did Meg force herself to look at the Diseases of the Skin book and March of Dimes poster as a child?
6. What do Meg and Babe's comments about Charlie reveal about the sisters.
7. Chick is presented as "too big" for her pantyhose, and her hairstyle threatens to become too big also. What does this bigness suggest about her character?
8. How might the three sisters serve as symbols for stereotypes of Southern women?
9. What is ironic about Chick's list of crimes the Magrath's are responsible for?
10. What does Doc appear to want from his meeting with Meg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blanche McCrary Boyd said, "My sister says Southerners are like other people, only more so." Write an essay in which you explain the preceding statement by examining the characters of the text.
Essay Topic 2
A Mexican proverb states that "The house does not rest upon the ground, but upon a woman." How is this proven or disproven by the events of Crimes of the Heart?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Miller said, "The prisoner is not the one who has committed a crime, but the one who clings to his crime and lives it over and over." Considering any character in the play, defend, refute, or qualify Miller's statement.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)