|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Babe claims she shot Zackery in the stomach because:
2. Meg's remark, "We're getting so old," offends Lenny because:
3. Meg protests to the idea of Doc's wife because:
4. Granddaddy's attitude about Meg's singing career shows:
5. Rather than admit she is gaining weight, Chick claims the pantyhose do not fit because:
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Babe's saxophone represent?
2. Why is Meg easily comforted by Barnette's sacrifice, while Babe is not?
3. What is ironic about Chick's list of crimes the Magrath's are responsible for?
4. How does Meg feel about talking about the past?
5. Why does Babe seem surprise to hear the real story of Doc's injury and the town's opinion of Meg?
6. Why does Lenny continually bring up the past?
7. Why is Lenny so angry at Meg?
8. What does Meg and Doc's first meeting in the kitchen suggest about their relationship?
9. What do Babe's thoughts about birthday wishes indicate about her?
10. Describe Meg's encounter with Doc.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A kitchen has many connotations. List a few of these connotations and defend or criticize Henley's choice of the Magrath kitchen as the central setting for the play.
Essay Topic 2
Lee Smith "The biggest myth about Southern women is that we are frail types--fainting on our sofas...nobody where I grew up every acted like that. We were about as fragile as coal trucks." Write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify this statement using the text as support for your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the physical or emotional defects of any character in the play. How do these defects shape the characters or propel the events of the play?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)