|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lenny's birthday gift turns out to be a box of candy, which suggests:
2. Chick suggests Lenny wait at home and do what?
3. Meg believes Lenny is shy with men because:
4. Lenny is surprised to find:
5. Billy Boy was:
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Meg's life like in L.A.?
2. The candy Chick brings, which is outdated and unwanted, might represent what?
3. What does Babe's affair with Willy Jay suggest about her?
4. What do Lennie's actions imply about her?
5. What is ironic about Lenny's birthday wish?
6. What is Meg's attitude toward her family?
7. Why do Meg, Lenny, and Babe seem to fall into old patterns of behavior around one another?
8. What do the candy, cokes, and lemonade symbolize for the girls?
9. Why does Lenny continually bring up the past?
10. What impedes Lenny's growth or happiness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the ideas of fault and blame in Henley's play. What idea or events connect to fault and blame for the Magraths? What message is Henley communicating through the ideas of fault and blame in her play?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the play's title, "Crimes of the Heart." What "crimes" have been committed in the play? What aspects of love or feeling are threatened, and how does this inform the message or theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
If Henley's characters serve as archetypes for Southern people, is her assessment fair? Write an essay in which you defend or criticize her use of archetypes in the play.
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)