|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rather than admit she is gaining weight, Chick claims the pantyhose do not fit because:
2. Chick is upset at Lenny because:
3. Through Babe's confession she discovers:
4. Meg and Lenny's relationship appears at first to be:
5. Barnette plans to win the case by arguing:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doc appear to want from his meeting with Meg?
2. What kind of relationship did Babe have with Zackery?
3. What might Babe's saxophone represent?
4. Why does Meg bring up Lenny's boyfriend from Memphis?
5. What reason does Meg give Doc for leaving him in Biloxi?
6. Why do Meg, Lenny, and Babe seem to fall into old patterns of behavior around one another?
7. What is Meg's attitude toward her family?
8. How does Babe explain her mother's fear of dying alone?
9. Why does Babe seem surprise to hear the real story of Doc's injury and the town's opinion of Meg?
10. What do the details of Meg's life in Hollywood reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Author Alex Haley said "In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future." Write an essay in which you examine this idea in relation to Crimes of the Heart.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motif of rebirth or new beginnings in the play. Identify Henley's message about the motif, and use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The three men who appear in the play have all been affected by the Magrath women. Two men have been injured, and one seems to have fallen in love with Babe. Write an essay in which you compare the ways the sisters have affected the men of the play, and describe the message the author emphasizes through these situations.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)