|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Barnette Lloyd arrives, Babe:
2. Babe claims she shot Zackery in the stomach because:
3. Lenny has agreed to hire Barnette Lloyd:
4. Meg's remark, "We're getting so old," offends Lenny because:
5. Through Babe's confession she discovers:
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Meg and Babe's comments about Charlie reveal about the sisters.
2. What does Babe's speech about her saxophone reveal about her character?
3. What does Babe's attitude about jail reveal about her?
4. What is Meg's first reaction when she sees Lennie?
5. Why is Meg easily comforted by Barnette's sacrifice, while Babe is not?
6. Chick's return visit forces what to happen?
7. Why does Meg bring up Lenny's boyfriend from Memphis?
8. Describe some contradicting facets of Babe's character.
9. How does Babe explain her mother's fear of dying alone?
10. How might the three sisters serve as symbols for stereotypes of Southern women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Author Alex Haley said "In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future." Write an essay in which you examine this idea in relation to Crimes of the Heart.
Essay Topic 2
Henry Miller said, "The prisoner is not the one who has committed a crime, but the one who clings to his crime and lives it over and over." Considering any character in the play, defend, refute, or qualify Miller's statement.
Essay Topic 3
The men of Crimes of the Heart fill many roles for the Magrath sisters. Write an essay in which you examine the role of any male character or characters in relation to his role in the Magrath family drama.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)