|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has followed him to Siberia?
2. What does Svidrigaylov fear?
3. Who is Svidrigaylov secretly visiting?
4. How old is the girl Svidrigaylov is currently engaged to?
5. What does Raskolnikov think makes him a failure and a criminal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dostoevsky distances the reader from Raskolnikov?
2. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
3. How does Dostoevsky portray Raskolnikov's conflicting emotions in chapter four?
4. Do you think Raskolnikov has to make a confession?
5. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
6. What does chapter two show about Sonia's upbringing?
7. Do you think Raskolnikov has finally accepted his guilt?
8. How does Dostoevsky still create suspense even as he winds down his story?
9. How does Luzhin make Sonia look guilty?
10. How is Mrs. Marmaladov different to Raskolnikov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dostoevsky represents family as an important, even essential part of Russian life. In what way does Raskolnikov's family help him when they arrive in St. Petersburg? Do you think that Raskolnikov would of committed the murder if his family had been in closer contact? In what way are the characters such as Luzhin with no family different to the characters with a family?
Essay Topic 2
Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov quite late into the novel. Examine Svidigaylov's character.
1) What do you think are the aims and conflicts of Svidrgaylov's character?
2) Why do you think Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov into the story? What difference do you think he makes to the story?
3) What affect do you think his suicide has on the other characters? Does it change their outlook?
Essay Topic 3
Money plays an important part in this book and the characters that have little money have miserable lives. Choose one character from the book and discuss his hers relationship with money.
1) What does money mean to them? To what length will they go to get money?
2) Does money make the happy? What do you think would happen to the character if he or she did not have money?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)