|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Sonia waited for Raskolnikev the whole day?
2. What is Mrs. Marmaladov forcing her children to do?
3. How much money does Svidrigaylov give his teenage bride?
4. Where does Raskolnikev go when he sees Sonia?
5. Who does Luzhin point to as his witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raskolnikov finally find salvation?
2. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
3. In what way does Dostoevsky show Dunya to be different to her brother?
4. Do you think Raskolnikov has to make a confession?
5. Why is making a public confession so difficult for Raskolnikov?
6. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
7. In what way does Svidrigaylov's suicide confirm to the reader the complexity of his character?
8. What effect does Raskolnikov's decision to confess have on his mental state.
9. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
10. Do you think Raskolnikov has finally accepted his guilt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The painter Nicolas falsely confesses to the old lady's murder. What meaning do you think Nicolas's character brings to the novel? In what way do think Nicolas's social standing contributes to his false confession? What do think would have happened to Nicholas if he were found guilty? Do you think his punishment would of been more severe than Raskolnikov's?
Essay Topic 2
The main themes in the novel are crime, poverty and justice. Take one of these themes and discuss how Dostoevsky expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in nineteenth century Russia?
Essay Topic 3
Dialogue plays an important part in the novel and one chapter consists of just a dialogue between Raskolnikov and Porfiry. Using example from the novel discuss the important part dialogue plays in the following areas.
1) Character development.
2) Plot development
3) The development of the novel's themes.
In what way do you think dialogue can be overused?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)