|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raskolnikov think makes him a failure and a criminal?
2. What does Raskolnikov see Svidrigaylov doing?
3. What does Raskolnikev remember Sonia telling him?
4. Who does Dunya ask to see?
5. Who does Mrs. Marmaladov give place of honor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think not confessing to the murder will affect Raskolnikov?
2. Why do you think Dostoevsky distances the reader from Raskolnikov?
3. In what way does Dostoevsky show Dunya to be different to her brother?
4. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
5. How does Raskolnikov finally find salvation?
6. How does Luzhin use his wealth?
7. How is Mrs. Marmaladov different to Raskolnikov?
8. How does Luzhin make Sonia look guilty?
9. Describe Svidrigaylov's character?
10. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money plays an important part in this book and the characters that have little money have miserable lives. Choose one character from the book and discuss his hers relationship with money.
1) What does money mean to them? To what length will they go to get money?
2) Does money make the happy? What do you think would happen to the character if he or she did not have money?
Essay Topic 2
Dialogue plays an important part in the novel and one chapter consists of just a dialogue between Raskolnikov and Porfiry. Using example from the novel discuss the important part dialogue plays in the following areas.
1) Character development.
2) Plot development
3) The development of the novel's themes.
In what way do you think dialogue can be overused?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in the Russian city of St. Petersburg.
1) What meaning does St. Petersburg bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in St. Petersburg?
2) How different do you think today's St. Petersburg is to the St. Petersburg in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's St. Petersburg?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)