|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raskolnikov visit after the funeral dinner?
2. Why does Raskolnikev not see his act as a crime?
3. Where does Sonia stay?
4. Who does Raskolnikov meet back at his old room?
5. What does Dunya now know?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
2. How do you think not confessing to the murder will affect Raskolnikov?
3. What does chapter two show about Sonia's upbringing?
4. What do you think chapter two means in context of the novel?
5. How does Luzhin make Sonia look guilty?
6. What effect does Raskolnikov's decision to confess have on his mental state.
7. Why do you think Mrs. Marmaladov loses control?
8. How does Dostoevsky portray Raskolnikov's conflicting emotions in chapter four?
9. Why is making a public confession so difficult for Raskolnikov?
10. In what way does Svidrigaylov's suicide confirm to the reader the complexity of his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sonia attempts to preach Raskolnikov the bible. In what way is religion the antithesis of Raskolnikov's high ideas? Do you think Dostoevsky represents religion as the only way Raskolnikov can overcome his guilt? What do you think is Dostoevsky's own views on religion?
Essay Topic 2
Raskolnikov states that the masses "are inferior men" who are "conservative, respectable and docile". Examine this statement in relation to Raskolnikov's character. Why do you think Raskolnikov is reacting against the masses? Do you think he believes what he says?
Essay Topic 3
Dostoevsky represents family as an important, even essential part of Russian life. In what way does Raskolnikov's family help him when they arrive in St. Petersburg? Do you think that Raskolnikov would of committed the murder if his family had been in closer contact? In what way are the characters such as Luzhin with no family different to the characters with a family?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)