|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Profiry say the murderer regards himself as?
2. What kind of guests turn up at the funeral?
3. What is Porfiry not satisfied with?
4. Why does Raskolnikov threaten to kill Svidrigaylov?
5. Why does Raskolnikov want to visit Sonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Svidrigaylov's suicide confirm to the reader the complexity of his character?
2. Do you think Raskolnikov has finally accepted his guilt?
3. What do you think chapter two means in context of the novel?
4. How does Dostoevsky still create suspense even as he winds down his story?
5. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
6. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
7. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
8. What effect does Svidrigaylov death have on Raskolnikov?
9. Why do you think Mrs. Marmaladov loses control?
10. How does Raskolnikov finally find salvation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raskolnikov tries justifying his crime with his superior man theory, claiming, "power belongs to those who take it"
1) What are the underlying principles of the superior man theory? Does it take its ideas from any ideas that surfaced during the mid-nineteenth century? Why do you think this idea was such an issue during the mid-nineteenth century?
2) What do you think Dostoevsky opinions are on the theory? In what way does he voice these opinions?
Essay Topic 2
The painter Nicolas falsely confesses to the old lady's murder. What meaning do you think Nicolas's character brings to the novel? In what way do think Nicolas's social standing contributes to his false confession? What do think would have happened to Nicholas if he were found guilty? Do you think his punishment would of been more severe than Raskolnikov's?
Essay Topic 3
Crime and Punishment is translated into English from the Russian. How much meaning do you think a novel loses through translation? What aspects of the novel do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? In what way do you think a translator tries to overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)