|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Luzhin say Sonia has stolen?
2. Where does Raskolnikev go when he sees Sonia?
3. Who is the only person Mrs. Marmaladov talks to at the funeral dinner?
4. What does Raskolnikov think makes him a failure and a criminal?
5. Who never recovered from the shock of Raskolnikov's confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Svidrigaylov and Raskolnikov similar?
2. What effect does Raskolnikov's decision to confess have on his mental state.
3. Why do you think Luzhin sets up Sonia?
4. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
5. Do you think Raskolnikov has to make a confession?
6. How does Dostoevsky still create suspense even as he winds down his story?
7. How does Dostoevsky portray Raskolnikov's conflicting emotions in chapter four?
8. How does Luzhin make Sonia look guilty?
9. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
10. In what ways does Porfiry show what perceptive detective he is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Raskolnikov wanders around St. Petersburg, he feels tremendous guilt for his crime. What is it about Raskolnikov's character that prevents him from overcoming his guilt? Describe what kind of character could overcome such guilt and move on with their lives? What do you think would of happened to Raskolnikov if he did not confess?
Essay Topic 2
Raskolnikov often contradicts himself and eventually it leads to his downfall. In what way does Raskolnikov contradict himself? What do you think it says about his character that he does contradict himself? Do you think he contradicts himself less as the novel goes on? If so why?
Essay Topic 3
Porfiry is probably the cleverest character in the book and quickly works out Raskolnikov.
1) What do you think are Porfiry's goals? How does he achieve his goals?
2) In what way do you think Porfiry wins Raskolnikov's respect and ultimately his trust? Do you think that Porfiry has sympathy for Raskolnikov?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)