|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Svidrigaylov already sent Dunya?
2. What does Profiry say the murderer regards himself as?
3. What does Mrs. Marmaladov spend half of Raskolnikov's twenty rubles on?
4. How long has Raskolnikov served so far in prison?
5. Who comes to visit Raskolnikov at the beginning of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Raskolnikov's confession sound different to what he had earlier claimed to think?
2. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
3. What does Chapter four show about Svidrigaylov's character?
4. What effect does Raskolnikov's decision to confess have on his mental state.
5. How does Raskolnikov finally find salvation?
6. What effect does Svidrigaylov death have on Raskolnikov?
7. Why do you think Mrs. Marmaladov loses control?
8. What does chapter two show about Sonia's upbringing?
9. How do you think not confessing to the murder will affect Raskolnikov?
10. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is full of coincidences and fateful meetings. For example, Raskolnikov walks into the same bar where the inspector in charge of the murder case is having a drink. Take one of the coincidences in the book and discuss in what way do you think it contributes to the novel's psychological elements.
Essay Topic 2
Money plays an important part in this book and the characters that have little money have miserable lives. Choose one character from the book and discuss his hers relationship with money.
1) What does money mean to them? To what length will they go to get money?
2) Does money make the happy? What do you think would happen to the character if he or she did not have money?
Essay Topic 3
Dialogue plays an important part in the novel and one chapter consists of just a dialogue between Raskolnikov and Porfiry. Using example from the novel discuss the important part dialogue plays in the following areas.
1) Character development.
2) Plot development
3) The development of the novel's themes.
In what way do you think dialogue can be overused?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)