|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raskolnikov visit after the funeral dinner?
2. What does Raskolnikov do after Mrs. Marmaladov's death?
3. Why does Raskolnikov send Dunya away?
4. Who does Luzhin ask to meet
5. What does Mrs. Marmaladov spend half of Raskolnikov's twenty rubles on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luzhin make Sonia look guilty?
2. Why do you think Dostoevsky distances the reader from Raskolnikov?
3. In what way does Svidrigaylov's suicide confirm to the reader the complexity of his character?
4. What effect does Svidrigaylov death have on Raskolnikov?
5. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
6. What does Chapter four show about Svidrigaylov's character?
7. Do you think Raskolnikov has to make a confession?
8. In what way does Dostoevsky show Dunya to be different to her brother?
9. In what way does Raskolnikov's confession sound different to what he had earlier claimed to think?
10. Why do you think Luzhin sets up Sonia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crime and Punishment is a psychological drama.
1) Using examples from the book describe what you think are the main elements of a psychological drama.
2) In what way is Raskolnikov a typical character from a psychological drama? Are there any similar characters in contemporary psychological dramas?
3) What influence do you think Crime and Punishment has had on the psychological novel?
Essay Topic 2
Raskolnikov and Sonia form a strong bond that Dostoevsky suggests will lead into a lasting relationship. What similarities do you think Sonia and Raskolnikov share? Why do you think Sonia is so important to Raskolnikov's character? What do you think would happen to Raskolnikov if Sonia did not try to help him?
Essay Topic 3
Raskolnikov often contradicts himself and eventually it leads to his downfall. In what way does Raskolnikov contradict himself? What do you think it says about his character that he does contradict himself? Do you think he contradicts himself less as the novel goes on? If so why?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)