|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luzhin tell Sonia he will help her to get?
2. Why can Dunya not see Sonia?
3. What does Raskolnikev remember Sonia telling him?
4. Who comes to visit Raskolnikov at the beginning of the chapter?
5. Who visits Raskolnikov in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dostoevsky still create suspense even as he winds down his story?
2. Do you think Raskolnikov has to make a confession?
3. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
4. In what ways are Svidrigaylov and Raskolnikov similar?
5. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
6. In what way does Raskolnikov's confession sound different to what he had earlier claimed to think?
7. Describe Svidrigaylov's character?
8. Why do you think Luzhin sets up Sonia?
9. Why do you think Mrs. Marmaladov loses control?
10. Why do you think Dostoevsky distances the reader from Raskolnikov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raskolnikov states that the masses "are inferior men" who are "conservative, respectable and docile". Examine this statement in relation to Raskolnikov's character. Why do you think Raskolnikov is reacting against the masses? Do you think he believes what he says?
Essay Topic 2
Sonia attempts to preach Raskolnikov the bible. In what way is religion the antithesis of Raskolnikov's high ideas? Do you think Dostoevsky represents religion as the only way Raskolnikov can overcome his guilt? What do you think is Dostoevsky's own views on religion?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the class distinctions below and describe their living conditions in 19th century Russia.
1) Working class
2) Middle class
Do you think Dostoevsky portray a severe inequality in Russian society?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)