|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luzhin skip the funeral to do?
2. What does Svidrigaylov give Sonia enough to do?
3. What does Raskolnikov do after Mrs. Marmaladov's death?
4. How much money does Svidrigaylov give his teenage bride?
5. Why can Dunya not see Sonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is making a public confession so difficult for Raskolnikov?
2. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
3. What does Chapter four show about Svidrigaylov's character?
4. How is Mrs. Marmaladov different to Raskolnikov?
5. In what ways are Svidrigaylov and Raskolnikov similar?
6. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
7. How does Luzhin use his wealth?
8. Do you think Raskolnikov has finally accepted his guilt?
9. Why do you think Dostoevsky distances the reader from Raskolnikov?
10. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crime and Punishment is translated into English from the Russian. How much meaning do you think a novel loses through translation? What aspects of the novel do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? In what way do you think a translator tries to overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Dialogue plays an important part in the novel and one chapter consists of just a dialogue between Raskolnikov and Porfiry. Using example from the novel discuss the important part dialogue plays in the following areas.
1) Character development.
2) Plot development
3) The development of the novel's themes.
In what way do you think dialogue can be overused?
Essay Topic 3
Raskolnikov often contradicts himself and eventually it leads to his downfall. In what way does Raskolnikov contradict himself? What do you think it says about his character that he does contradict himself? Do you think he contradicts himself less as the novel goes on? If so why?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)