|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Svidrigaylov think about in his hotel room?
2. Who does Profiry say he suspects?
3. Where does Sonia stay?
4. What does Svidrigaylov say is the secret to seduction?
5. What is Porfiry not satisfied with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dostoevsky distances the reader from Raskolnikov?
2. In what way does Svidrigaylov's suicide confirm to the reader the complexity of his character?
3. What does chapter two show about Sonia's upbringing?
4. How do you think not confessing to the murder will affect Raskolnikov?
5. What do you think chapter two means in context of the novel?
6. Do you think Svidrigaylov and Raskolnikov's confession is the miracle that Svidrigaylov claims?
7. How does Luzhin make Sonia look guilty?
8. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
9. Do you think Raskolnikov has to make a confession?
10. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crime and Punishment is translated into English from the Russian. How much meaning do you think a novel loses through translation? What aspects of the novel do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? In what way do you think a translator tries to overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Sonia attempts to preach Raskolnikov the bible. In what way is religion the antithesis of Raskolnikov's high ideas? Do you think Dostoevsky represents religion as the only way Raskolnikov can overcome his guilt? What do you think is Dostoevsky's own views on religion?
Essay Topic 3
As Raskolnikov wanders around St. Petersburg, he feels tremendous guilt for his crime. What is it about Raskolnikov's character that prevents him from overcoming his guilt? Describe what kind of character could overcome such guilt and move on with their lives? What do you think would of happened to Raskolnikov if he did not confess?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)