|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raskolnikov threaten to kill Svidrigaylov?
2. What does Raskolnikov worry about?
3. Who does Raskolnikov visit after the funeral dinner?
4. What does Raskolnikov think makes him a failure and a criminal?
5. What does Luzhin skip the funeral to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Raskolnikov has to make a confession?
2. Why is making a public confession so difficult for Raskolnikov?
3. How is Mrs. Marmaladov different to Raskolnikov?
4. In what way does Dostoevsky show Dunya to be different to her brother?
5. Do you think Raskolnikov has finally accepted his guilt?
6. What does Chapter four show about Svidrigaylov's character?
7. How does Luzhin use his wealth?
8. How does Luzhin make Sonia look guilty?
9. Describe Svidrigaylov's character?
10. What does chapter two show about Sonia's upbringing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the class distinctions below and describe their living conditions in 19th century Russia.
1) Working class
2) Middle class
Do you think Dostoevsky portray a severe inequality in Russian society?
Essay Topic 2
As Raskolnikov wanders around St. Petersburg, he feels tremendous guilt for his crime. What is it about Raskolnikov's character that prevents him from overcoming his guilt? Describe what kind of character could overcome such guilt and move on with their lives? What do you think would of happened to Raskolnikov if he did not confess?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are crime, poverty and justice. Take one of these themes and discuss how Dostoevsky expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in nineteenth century Russia?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)