|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer does Raskolnikov have to serve of his prison sentence?
2. How much money does Sonia return?
3. What does Sonia say is God's domain?
4. For what reason does Porfiry say he has come to see Raskolnikov?
5. What does Luzhin tell Sonia he will help her to get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Svidrigaylov death have on Raskolnikov?
2. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
3. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
4. Why do you think Mrs. Marmaladov loses control?
5. How does Dostoevsky still create suspense even as he winds down his story?
6. In what ways does Porfiry show what perceptive detective he is?
7. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
8. In what way does Svidrigaylov's suicide confirm to the reader the complexity of his character?
9. How does Luzhin make Sonia look guilty?
10. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov quite late into the novel. Examine Svidigaylov's character.
1) What do you think are the aims and conflicts of Svidrgaylov's character?
2) Why do you think Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov into the story? What difference do you think he makes to the story?
3) What affect do you think his suicide has on the other characters? Does it change their outlook?
Essay Topic 2
Money plays an important part in this book and the characters that have little money have miserable lives. Choose one character from the book and discuss his hers relationship with money.
1) What does money mean to them? To what length will they go to get money?
2) Does money make the happy? What do you think would happen to the character if he or she did not have money?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the class distinctions below and describe their living conditions in 19th century Russia.
1) Working class
2) Middle class
Do you think Dostoevsky portray a severe inequality in Russian society?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)