|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Porfiry say he has come to see Raskolnikov?
2. Who does Dunya marry in St Petersburg?
3. How much money does Svidrigaylov give his teenage bride?
4. Who has followed him to Siberia?
5. Who does Raskolnikev see following him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Dostoevsky show Dunya to be different to her brother?
2. How does Dostoevsky portray Raskolnikov's conflicting emotions in chapter four?
3. In what ways does Porfiry show what perceptive detective he is?
4. Do you think Svidrigaylov and Raskolnikov's confession is the miracle that Svidrigaylov claims?
5. Describe Svidrigaylov's character?
6. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
7. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
8. In what way does Svidrigaylov's suicide confirm to the reader the complexity of his character?
9. Why do you think Mrs. Marmaladov loses control?
10. Why do you think Luzhin sets up Sonia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crime and Punishment is translated into English from the Russian. How much meaning do you think a novel loses through translation? What aspects of the novel do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? In what way do you think a translator tries to overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes in the novel and describe how Dostoevsky expresses each theme in the book. What do you think the themes say about his opinions as a writer and intellectual?
Essay Topic 3
Crime and Punishment is a psychological drama.
1) Using examples from the book describe what you think are the main elements of a psychological drama.
2) In what way is Raskolnikov a typical character from a psychological drama? Are there any similar characters in contemporary psychological dramas?
3) What influence do you think Crime and Punishment has had on the psychological novel?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)