|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dunya marry in St Petersburg?
2. What does Raskolnikov realize when Sonia disappears?
3. What does Svidrigaylov give Sonia enough to do?
4. What does Svidrigaylov say is the secret to seduction?
5. What has happened to Mrs. Marmaladov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the class distinctions below and describe their living conditions in 19th century Russia.
1) Working class
2) Middle class
Do you think Dostoevsky portray a severe inequality in Russian society?
Essay Topic 2
Porfiry is probably the cleverest character in the book and quickly works out Raskolnikov.
1) What do you think are Porfiry's goals? How does he achieve his goals?
2) In what way do you think Porfiry wins Raskolnikov's respect and ultimately his trust? Do you think that Porfiry has sympathy for Raskolnikov?
Essay Topic 3
Dostoevsky represents family as an important, even essential part of Russian life. In what way does Raskolnikov's family help him when they arrive in St. Petersburg? Do you think that Raskolnikov would of committed the murder if his family had been in closer contact? In what way are the characters such as Luzhin with no family different to the characters with a family?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)