|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raskolnikov spot in a restaurant?
2. How much does Luzhin say Sonia has stolen?
3. Who does Raskolnikev see following him?
4. What does Raskolnikov see Svidrigaylov doing?
5. Why has Sonia waited for Raskolnikev the whole day?
Essay Topic 1
Crime and Punishment is translated into English from the Russian. How much meaning do you think a novel loses through translation? What aspects of the novel do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? In what way do you think a translator tries to overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is full of coincidences and fateful meetings. For example, Raskolnikov walks into the same bar where the inspector in charge of the murder case is having a drink. Take one of the coincidences in the book and discuss in what way do you think it contributes to the novel's psychological elements.
Essay Topic 3
Raskolnikov tries justifying his crime with his superior man theory, claiming, "power belongs to those who take it"
1) What are the underlying principles of the superior man theory? Does it take its ideas from any ideas that surfaced during the mid-nineteenth century? Why do you think this idea was such an issue during the mid-nineteenth century?
2) What do you think Dostoevsky opinions are on the theory? In what way does he voice these opinions?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)