Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raskolnikov spot in a restaurant?
2. How much does Luzhin say Sonia has stolen?
3. Who does Raskolnikev see following him?
4. What does Raskolnikov see Svidrigaylov doing?
5. Why has Sonia waited for Raskolnikev the whole day?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the class distinctions below and describe their living conditions in 19th century Russia.
1) Working class
2) Middle class
Do you think Dostoevsky portray a severe inequality in Russian society?
Essay Topic 2
The painter Nicolas falsely confesses to the old lady's murder. What meaning do you think Nicolas's character brings to the novel? In what way do think Nicolas's social standing contributes to his false confession? What do think would have happened to Nicholas if he were found guilty? Do you think his punishment would of been more severe than Raskolnikov's?
Essay Topic 3
Raskolnikov tries justifying his crime with his superior man theory, claiming, "power belongs to those who take it"
1) What are the underlying principles of the superior man theory? Does it take its ideas from any ideas that surfaced during the mid-nineteenth century? Why do you think this idea was such an issue during the mid-nineteenth century?
2) What do you think Dostoevsky opinions are on the theory? In what way does he voice these opinions?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)