|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raskolnikov meet back at his old room?
2. Where does Svidrigaylov go after his meeting with his fiance?
3. How old is the girl Svidrigaylov is currently engaged to?
4. Who does Luzhin point to as his witness?
5. Who does Raskolnikov think is the only person who has the courage to accept him?
Essay Topic 1
Money plays an important part in this book and the characters that have little money have miserable lives. Choose one character from the book and discuss his hers relationship with money.
1) What does money mean to them? To what length will they go to get money?
2) Does money make the happy? What do you think would happen to the character if he or she did not have money?
Essay Topic 2
Raskolnikov states that the masses "are inferior men" who are "conservative, respectable and docile". Examine this statement in relation to Raskolnikov's character. Why do you think Raskolnikov is reacting against the masses? Do you think he believes what he says?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in the Russian city of St. Petersburg.
1) What meaning does St. Petersburg bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in St. Petersburg?
2) How different do you think today's St. Petersburg is to the St. Petersburg in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's St. Petersburg?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)