|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it since Raskolnikov last saw his mother and sister?
2. Where does Raskolnikov fall asleep?
3. What did Lisaveta and Sonia used to do together?
4. How does Raskolnikov think the police want to trip him up?
5. Who does Raskolnikov visit at the beginning of chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
2. How does Raskolnikov hide his guilt?
3. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
4. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
5. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
6. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
7. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
8. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
9. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
10. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
Essay Topic 1
The novel is full of coincidences and fateful meetings. For example, Raskolnikov walks into the same bar where the inspector in charge of the murder case is having a drink. Take one of the coincidences in the book and discuss in what way do you think it contributes to the novel's psychological elements.
Essay Topic 2
Dialogue plays an important part in the novel and one chapter consists of just a dialogue between Raskolnikov and Porfiry. Using example from the novel discuss the important part dialogue plays in the following areas.
1) Character development.
2) Plot development
3) The development of the novel's themes.
In what way do you think dialogue can be overused?
Essay Topic 3
Sonia attempts to preach Raskolnikov the bible. In what way is religion the antithesis of Raskolnikov's high ideas? Do you think Dostoevsky represents religion as the only way Raskolnikov can overcome his guilt? What do you think is Dostoevsky's own views on religion?
This section contains 1,664 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)