|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raskolnikov's mother compare his room to?
2. What does Porfiry say will give itself away in the end?
3. What does Raskolnikov kill the old lady with?
4. Who does the old lady want to leave her money to when she dies?
5. What is Sonia's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raskolnikov hide his guilt?
2. In what way does Luzhin's letter put the women in a difficult position?
3. What does the letter show about Raskolnikov's relationship with his family?
4. In what way does Porfiry suggest Raskolnikov has made a mistake?
5. In way can the reader sympathize with Raskolnikov?
6. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
7. Why do you think Raskolnikov arranges to meet Porfiry?
8. What do you think the horse symbolizes in Raskolnikov's dream?
9. In what way have Raskolnikov and Porfiry switched roles in chapter five?
10. What influence do you think Sonia and Porfiry are having on Raskolnikov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raskolnikov often contradicts himself and eventually it leads to his downfall. In what way does Raskolnikov contradict himself? What do you think it says about his character that he does contradict himself? Do you think he contradicts himself less as the novel goes on? If so why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the class distinctions below and describe their living conditions in 19th century Russia.
1) Working class
2) Middle class
Do you think Dostoevsky portray a severe inequality in Russian society?
Essay Topic 3
Sonia attempts to preach Raskolnikov the bible. In what way is religion the antithesis of Raskolnikov's high ideas? Do you think Dostoevsky represents religion as the only way Raskolnikov can overcome his guilt? What do you think is Dostoevsky's own views on religion?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)