Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it since Raskolnikov last saw his mother and sister?
2. Where does Raskolnikov fall asleep?
3. What did Lisaveta and Sonia used to do together?
4. How does Raskolnikov think the police want to trip him up?
5. Who does Raskolnikov visit at the beginning of chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
2. How does Raskolnikov hide his guilt?
3. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
4. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
5. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
6. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
7. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
8. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
9. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
10. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
As Raskolnikov wanders around St. Petersburg, he feels tremendous guilt for his crime. What is it about Raskolnikov's character that prevents him from overcoming his guilt? Describe what kind of character could overcome such guilt and move on with their lives? What do you think would of happened to Raskolnikov if he did not confess?
Dostoevsky represents family as an important, even essential part of Russian life. In what way does Raskolnikov's family help him when they arrive in St. Petersburg? Do you think that Raskolnikov would of committed the murder if his family had been in closer contact? In what way are the characters such as Luzhin with no family different to the characters with a family?
The main themes in the novel are crime, poverty and justice. Take one of these themes and discuss how Dostoevsky expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in nineteenth century Russia?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)