|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Raskolnikov do on his return from the police station?
2. Where does Raskolnikov fall asleep?
3. Who does the housekeeper say mended Rakolnikov's shirts?
4. What does Raskolnikov ask the workers?
5. What does Rashnikov dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Porfiry suggest Raskolnikov has made a mistake?
2. In what way is Raskolnikov beginning to question himself and his theories?
3. Why do you think Raskolnikov arranges to meet Porfiry?
4. In way can the reader sympathize with Raskolnikov?
5. In what way does Dunya and Mrs. Raskolnikov's new situation aide Razumikhin?
6. What is a magistrate in the context of this book?
7. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
8. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
9. How does Dostoevsky create so much drama in the murder scene?
10. How does Raskolnikov feel after the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crime and Punishment is translated into English from the Russian. How much meaning do you think a novel loses through translation? What aspects of the novel do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? In what way do you think a translator tries to overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Raskolnikov often contradicts himself and eventually it leads to his downfall. In what way does Raskolnikov contradict himself? What do you think it says about his character that he does contradict himself? Do you think he contradicts himself less as the novel goes on? If so why?
Essay Topic 3
As Raskolnikov wanders around St. Petersburg, he feels tremendous guilt for his crime. What is it about Raskolnikov's character that prevents him from overcoming his guilt? Describe what kind of character could overcome such guilt and move on with their lives? What do you think would of happened to Raskolnikov if he did not confess?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)