|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raskolnikov meet in the bar?
2. How much money does Raskolnikov say Svidrigaylov has offered Dunya?
3. Where does Rakolnikov hide the hidden items?
4. What does Porfiry do when he suspects someone?
5. Why does Luzhin say he wants to marry a poor woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is chapter six such an important scene in the novel?
2. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
3. Why do you think Razumikhin is infatuated with Dunya?
4. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
5. What do you think Raskolnikov's dream in this chapter represents?
6. How seriously is Raskelnikov thinking about his unnamed idea?
7. In what way does Dunya and Mrs. Raskolnikov's new situation aide Razumikhin?
8. How does Raskolnikov hide his guilt?
9. What does Raskolnikov think of his sister's fiance Luzhin?
10. What is a magistrate in the context of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the class distinctions below and describe their living conditions in 19th century Russia.
1) Working class
2) Middle class
Do you think Dostoevsky portray a severe inequality in Russian society?
Essay Topic 2
Sonia attempts to preach Raskolnikov the bible. In what way is religion the antithesis of Raskolnikov's high ideas? Do you think Dostoevsky represents religion as the only way Raskolnikov can overcome his guilt? What do you think is Dostoevsky's own views on religion?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in the Russian city of St. Petersburg.
1) What meaning does St. Petersburg bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in St. Petersburg?
2) How different do you think today's St. Petersburg is to the St. Petersburg in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's St. Petersburg?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)