|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raskolnikov leave?
2. Which of Dunya's traits would of helped Luzhin climb the social ladder?
3. What does Porfiry say will give itself away in the end?
4. What kind of job does the old lady have?
5. What is Sonia's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
2. In way can the reader sympathize with Raskolnikov?
3. Why is chapter six such an important scene in the novel?
4. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
5. In what way have Raskolnikov and Porfiry switched roles in chapter five?
6. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
7. In what way does Dunya and Mrs. Raskolnikov's new situation aide Razumikhin?
8. Why do you think Raskolnikov arranges to meet Porfiry?
9. Why do you think Raskolnikov visits Sonia?
10. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set in the Russian city of St. Petersburg.
1) What meaning does St. Petersburg bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in St. Petersburg?
2) How different do you think today's St. Petersburg is to the St. Petersburg in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's St. Petersburg?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
Essay Topic 2
The main themes in the novel are crime, poverty and justice. Take one of these themes and discuss how Dostoevsky expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in nineteenth century Russia?
Essay Topic 3
As Raskolnikov wanders around St. Petersburg, he feels tremendous guilt for his crime. What is it about Raskolnikov's character that prevents him from overcoming his guilt? Describe what kind of character could overcome such guilt and move on with their lives? What do you think would of happened to Raskolnikov if he did not confess?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)