Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it since Raskolnikov last saw his mother and sister?
2. Where does Raskolnikov fall asleep?
3. What did Lisaveta and Sonia used to do together?
4. How does Raskolnikov think the police want to trip him up?
5. Who does Raskolnikov visit at the beginning of chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
2. How does Raskolnikov hide his guilt?
3. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
4. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
5. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
6. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
7. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
8. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
9. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
10. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
Essay Topic 1
Raskolnikov tries justifying his crime with his superior man theory, claiming, "power belongs to those who take it"
1) What are the underlying principles of the superior man theory? Does it take its ideas from any ideas that surfaced during the mid-nineteenth century? Why do you think this idea was such an issue during the mid-nineteenth century?
2) What do you think Dostoevsky opinions are on the theory? In what way does he voice these opinions?
Essay Topic 2
Crime and Punishment is a psychological drama.
1) Using examples from the book describe what you think are the main elements of a psychological drama.
2) In what way is Raskolnikov a typical character from a psychological drama? Are there any similar characters in contemporary psychological dramas?
3) What influence do you think Crime and Punishment has had on the psychological novel?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is full of coincidences and fateful meetings. For example, Raskolnikov walks into the same bar where the inspector in charge of the murder case is having a drink. Take one of the coincidences in the book and discuss in what way do you think it contributes to the novel's psychological elements.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)