|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raskolnikov present to the old lady to pawn?
2. Who does Raskolnikov meet in the bar?
3. Why did Raskolnikov leave his family home?
4. Who does Luzhin say gave him the information about Svidrigaylov?
5. What do Sonia and Raskolnikov talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
2. How does Dostoevsky create so much drama in the murder scene?
3. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
4. What does Raskolnikov think of his sister's fiance Luzhin?
5. Describe Svidrigaylov's character?
6. In what way does Dunya and Mrs. Raskolnikov's new situation aide Razumikhin?
7. What influence do you think Sonia and Porfiry are having on Raskolnikov?
8. Why do you think Raskolnikov arranges to meet Porfiry?
9. What do you think chapter two means in context of the novel?
10. In what way is Raskolnikov beginning to question himself and his theories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dostoevsky represents family as an important, even essential part of Russian life. In what way does Raskolnikov's family help him when they arrive in St. Petersburg? Do you think that Raskolnikov would of committed the murder if his family had been in closer contact? In what way are the characters such as Luzhin with no family different to the characters with a family?
Essay Topic 2
Raskolnikov often contradicts himself and eventually it leads to his downfall. In what way does Raskolnikov contradict himself? What do you think it says about his character that he does contradict himself? Do you think he contradicts himself less as the novel goes on? If so why?
Essay Topic 3
Raskolnikov states that the masses "are inferior men" who are "conservative, respectable and docile". Examine this statement in relation to Raskolnikov's character. Why do you think Raskolnikov is reacting against the masses? Do you think he believes what he says?
This section contains 1,669 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)