|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the letter from?
2. Who does Raskolnikov meet in the bar?
3. Who wakes Raskolnikov in the morning?
4. Whose money is the 3,000 rubles?
5. What is Luzhin's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think it says about Razumikhin that he is so close to guessing the truth of the murder?
2. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
3. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
4. How does Dostoevsky create so much drama in the murder scene?
5. What does the letter show about Raskolnikov's relationship with his family?
6. In what way is Raskolnikov beginning to question himself and his theories?
7. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
8. Why do you think Raskolnikov arranges to meet Porfiry?
9. Why do you think Raskolnikov visits Sonia?
10. How seriously is Raskelnikov thinking about his unnamed idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is full of coincidences and fateful meetings. For example, Raskolnikov walks into the same bar where the inspector in charge of the murder case is having a drink. Take one of the coincidences in the book and discuss in what way do you think it contributes to the novel's psychological elements.
Essay Topic 2
Raskolnikov states that the masses "are inferior men" who are "conservative, respectable and docile". Examine this statement in relation to Raskolnikov's character. Why do you think Raskolnikov is reacting against the masses? Do you think he believes what he says?
Essay Topic 3
Crime and Punishment is a psychological drama.
1) Using examples from the book describe what you think are the main elements of a psychological drama.
2) In what way is Raskolnikov a typical character from a psychological drama? Are there any similar characters in contemporary psychological dramas?
3) What influence do you think Crime and Punishment has had on the psychological novel?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)