|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dunya's fiance?
2. What Russian city does the story take place?
3. How much money does Raskolnikov say Svidrigaylov has offered Dunya?
4. Why did Raskolnikov leave his family home?
5. Who does Luzhin say gave him the information about Svidrigaylov?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the horse symbolizes in Raskolnikov's dream?
2. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
3. What do you think Raskolnikov's dream in this chapter represents?
4. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
5. What influence do you think Sonia and Porfiry are having on Raskolnikov?
6. In way can the reader sympathize with Raskolnikov?
7. How does Dostoevsky create so much drama in the murder scene?
8. Why do you think Razumikhin is infatuated with Dunya?
9. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
10. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes in the novel and describe how Dostoevsky expresses each theme in the book. What do you think the themes say about his opinions as a writer and intellectual?
Essay Topic 2
It seems that the goals for many of the character, particularly the women, is to get married, even if they do not love he person they are marrying. Why do you think marriage was so important in the mid-nineteenth century? What were the benefits of marriage for men? What were the benefits for women? How do you think society viewed people who were not married?
Essay Topic 3
Crime and Punishment is a psychological drama.
1) Using examples from the book describe what you think are the main elements of a psychological drama.
2) In what way is Raskolnikov a typical character from a psychological drama? Are there any similar characters in contemporary psychological dramas?
3) What influence do you think Crime and Punishment has had on the psychological novel?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)