|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family does Raskolnikov mention?
2. Why does Luzhin say he wants to marry a poor woman?
3. Where does Raskolnikov fall asleep?
4. What kind of animal does Raskolnikov dream about?
5. Who is the letter from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a magistrate in the context of this book?
2. Why do you think Raskolnikov visits Sonia?
3. How does Raskolnikov feel after the murder?
4. What do you think the horse symbolizes in Raskolnikov's dream?
5. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
6. Why do you think Raskolnikov arranges to meet Porfiry?
7. What do you think it says about Razumikhin that he is so close to guessing the truth of the murder?
8. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
9. Why do you think Razumikhin is infatuated with Dunya?
10. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raskolnikov tries justifying his crime with his superior man theory, claiming, "power belongs to those who take it"
1) What are the underlying principles of the superior man theory? Does it take its ideas from any ideas that surfaced during the mid-nineteenth century? Why do you think this idea was such an issue during the mid-nineteenth century?
2) What do you think Dostoevsky opinions are on the theory? In what way does he voice these opinions?
Essay Topic 2
The painter Nicolas falsely confesses to the old lady's murder. What meaning do you think Nicolas's character brings to the novel? In what way do think Nicolas's social standing contributes to his false confession? What do think would have happened to Nicholas if he were found guilty? Do you think his punishment would of been more severe than Raskolnikov's?
Essay Topic 3
Dostoevsky represents family as an important, even essential part of Russian life. In what way does Raskolnikov's family help him when they arrive in St. Petersburg? Do you think that Raskolnikov would of committed the murder if his family had been in closer contact? In what way are the characters such as Luzhin with no family different to the characters with a family?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)