|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Raskolnikov say Svidrigaylov has offered Dunya?
2. What kind of business does Razumikhin propose to start?
3. Who looks after Raskolnikov when he becomes feverish?
4. What does Raskolnikov accuse Dunya of doing?
5. What does Raskolnikov want to recover from the old woman's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In way can the reader sympathize with Raskolnikov?
2. How seriously is Raskelnikov thinking about his unnamed idea?
3. In what way does Dunya and Mrs. Raskolnikov's new situation aide Razumikhin?
4. What influence do you think Sonia and Porfiry are having on Raskolnikov?
5. In what way does Porfiry suggest Raskolnikov has made a mistake?
6. What do you think Raskolnikov's dream means at the beginning of this chapter?
7. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
8. What do you think Raskolnikov's dream in this chapter represents?
9. Why do you think Dunya and Mrs. Raskolnikov are not so pleasant to Luzhin in chapter 2?
10. Why do you think Raskolnikov arranges to meet Porfiry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes in the novel and describe how Dostoevsky expresses each theme in the book. What do you think the themes say about his opinions as a writer and intellectual?
Essay Topic 2
Porfiry is probably the cleverest character in the book and quickly works out Raskolnikov.
1) What do you think are Porfiry's goals? How does he achieve his goals?
2) In what way do you think Porfiry wins Raskolnikov's respect and ultimately his trust? Do you think that Porfiry has sympathy for Raskolnikov?
Essay Topic 3
Dialogue plays an important part in the novel and one chapter consists of just a dialogue between Raskolnikov and Porfiry. Using example from the novel discuss the important part dialogue plays in the following areas.
1) Character development.
2) Plot development
3) The development of the novel's themes.
In what way do you think dialogue can be overused?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)