|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Raskolnikov sleep?
2. What is Luzhin's profession?
3. What is Zamyotov's position in the police force?
4. Where did the craftsmen hear Nicolas's confession?
5. How much money does Raskolnikov say Svidrigaylov has offered Dunya?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
2. What do you think it says about Razumikhin that he is so close to guessing the truth of the murder?
3. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
4. How does Raskolnikov feel after the murder?
5. What does Raskolnikov think of his sister's fiance Luzhin?
6. In what way does Dunya and Mrs. Raskolnikov's new situation aide Razumikhin?
7. Why do you think Raskolnikov visits Sonia?
8. What influence do you think Sonia and Porfiry are having on Raskolnikov?
9. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
10. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raskolnikov often contradicts himself and eventually it leads to his downfall. In what way does Raskolnikov contradict himself? What do you think it says about his character that he does contradict himself? Do you think he contradicts himself less as the novel goes on? If so why?
Essay Topic 2
Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov quite late into the novel. Examine Svidigaylov's character.
1) What do you think are the aims and conflicts of Svidrgaylov's character?
2) Why do you think Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov into the story? What difference do you think he makes to the story?
3) What affect do you think his suicide has on the other characters? Does it change their outlook?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the class distinctions below and describe their living conditions in 19th century Russia.
1) Working class
2) Middle class
Do you think Dostoevsky portray a severe inequality in Russian society?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)