Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it since Raskolnikov last saw his mother and sister?
2. Where does Raskolnikov fall asleep?
3. What did Lisaveta and Sonia used to do together?
4. How does Raskolnikov think the police want to trip him up?
5. Who does Raskolnikov visit at the beginning of chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
2. How does Raskolnikov hide his guilt?
3. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
4. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
5. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
6. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
7. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
8. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
9. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
10. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
Essay Topic 1
Crime and Punishment is translated into English from the Russian. How much meaning do you think a novel loses through translation? What aspects of the novel do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? In what way do you think a translator tries to overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov quite late into the novel. Examine Svidigaylov's character.
1) What do you think are the aims and conflicts of Svidrgaylov's character?
2) Why do you think Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov into the story? What difference do you think he makes to the story?
3) What affect do you think his suicide has on the other characters? Does it change their outlook?
Essay Topic 3
The painter Nicolas falsely confesses to the old lady's murder. What meaning do you think Nicolas's character brings to the novel? In what way do think Nicolas's social standing contributes to his false confession? What do think would have happened to Nicholas if he were found guilty? Do you think his punishment would of been more severe than Raskolnikov's?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)