Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it since Raskolnikov last saw his mother and sister?
2. Where does Raskolnikov fall asleep?
3. What did Lisaveta and Sonia used to do together?
4. How does Raskolnikov think the police want to trip him up?
5. Who does Raskolnikov visit at the beginning of chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
2. How does Raskolnikov hide his guilt?
3. Why do you think Svidrigaylov holds Dunya in such high regard?
4. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
5. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
6. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
7. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
8. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
9. What do you think Dunya represented to Svidgaylov?
10. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
Money plays an important part in this book and the characters that have little money have miserable lives. Choose one character from the book and discuss his hers relationship with money.
1) What does money mean to them? To what length will they go to get money?
2) Does money make the happy? What do you think would happen to the character if he or she did not have money?
Identify the main themes in the novel and describe how Dostoevsky expresses each theme in the book. What do you think the themes say about his opinions as a writer and intellectual?
Crime and Punishment is a psychological drama.
1) Using examples from the book describe what you think are the main elements of a psychological drama.
2) In what way is Raskolnikov a typical character from a psychological drama? Are there any similar characters in contemporary psychological dramas?
3) What influence do you think Crime and Punishment has had on the psychological novel?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)