|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raskolnikov owe money to?
2. Whose presence does Luzhin complain about?
3. What does Raskolnikov present to the old lady to pawn?
4. Who else does Raskolnikov kill?
5. What kind of job does the old lady have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Razumikhin is infatuated with Dunya?
2. Why do you think Luzhin is so angry at Raskolnikov?
3. How does Luzhin use his wealth?
4. In what way does Svidrigaylov's suicide confirm to the reader the complexity of his character?
5. In what way does Porfiry suggest Raskolnikov has made a mistake?
6. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
7. What does the letter show about Raskolnikov's relationship with his family?
8. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
9. In what way is Raskolnikov beginning to question himself and his theories?
10. How does Raskolnikov feel after the murder?
Essay Topic 1
The painter Nicolas falsely confesses to the old lady's murder. What meaning do you think Nicolas's character brings to the novel? In what way do think Nicolas's social standing contributes to his false confession? What do think would have happened to Nicholas if he were found guilty? Do you think his punishment would of been more severe than Raskolnikov's?
Essay Topic 2
Sonia attempts to preach Raskolnikov the bible. In what way is religion the antithesis of Raskolnikov's high ideas? Do you think Dostoevsky represents religion as the only way Raskolnikov can overcome his guilt? What do you think is Dostoevsky's own views on religion?
Essay Topic 3
Dostoevsky represents family as an important, even essential part of Russian life. In what way does Raskolnikov's family help him when they arrive in St. Petersburg? Do you think that Raskolnikov would of committed the murder if his family had been in closer contact? In what way are the characters such as Luzhin with no family different to the characters with a family?
This section contains 1,681 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)