|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Raskolnikov ask Sonia to make a choice between?
(a) Putin and Tolstoy
(b) God and the devil
(c) Luzhin and himself
(d) Her stepmother and Luzhin
2. What does Svidrigaylov prove to Dunya?
(a) That he eavesdropped on her conversation with her brother
(b) That he is in love with her
(c) That he will make a good husband
(d) That he has sorted out his life
3. What does Raskolnikov worry about?
(a) Porfiry will trick him into a confession
(b) That Porfiry knows everything
(c) That he will sweat under questionning
(d) That he will contradict himself
4. What happens when Raskolnikov looks into Sonia's eyes?
(a) He feels close to her again
(b) He asks her to marry him
(c) He sees the devil
(d) He tries to kill her
5. What is the name of Luzhin's younger roommate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dunya marry in St Petersburg?
2. What does Dunya say Raskolnikev's willingness to face suffering is a sign of?
3. Why does Sonia disappear for a while?
4. What does Raskolnikov think makes him a failure and a criminal?
5. What did Svidrigaylov's wife permit him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raskolnikov finally find salvation?
2. What does Chapter four show about Svidrigaylov's character?
3. In the epilogue how does Dostoevsky distance the reader from Raskolnikov?
4. How is Mrs. Marmaladov different to Raskolnikov?
5. How does Dostoevsky portray Raskolnikov's conflicting emotions in chapter four?
6. How do you think not confessing to the murder will affect Raskolnikov?
7. What effect does Svidrigaylov death have on Raskolnikov?
8. What do you think chapter two means in context of the novel?
9. In what ways does Porfiry show what perceptive detective he is?
10. Do you think Raskolnikov has finally accepted his guilt?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)