|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raskolnikov want to tell Sonia?
(a) That he wants to die
(b) That he loves her
(c) That he is a murderer
(d) That he understands her
2. Why does Porfiry not follow proper procedure?
(a) Because the suspect is usually too careful
(b) He does not know what the procedure is
(c) It does not work
(d) It bores him
3. What is Sonia's surname?
4. What does Raskolnikov pawn?
(a) His clothes
(b) His gold chain
(c) His father's silver watch
(d) His university books
5. Why does Luzhin say he wants to marry a poor woman?
(a) Because poor women are more affectionate
(b) Because he was born poor
(c) Because she will be easier to control
(d) She will benefit from his money
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Raskolnikov think the police want to trip him up?
2. Who has been charged with the murders?
3. What do Sonia and Raskolnikov talk about?
4. What does Porfiry say a murderer cannot run away from?
5. Who does Luzhin say gave him the information about Svidrigaylov?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way have Raskolnikov and Porfiry switched roles in chapter five?
2. In what way does Porfiry suggest Raskolnikov has made a mistake?
3. What does the first chapter say about Raskolnikov's character?
4. What is a magistrate in the context of this book?
5. What does Sonia symbolize to Raskolnikov?
6. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
7. What do you think the horse symbolizes in Raskolnikov's dream?
8. What do you think Raskolnikov's dream means at the beginning of this chapter?
9. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
10. In what way does Dunya and Mrs. Raskolnikov's new situation aide Razumikhin?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)