|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Raskolnikov owe money to?
(a) His mother
(b) The government
(c) Loan sharks
(d) His landlady
2. What is Zamyotov's position in the police force?
(a) Chief police clerk
(b) Super intendent
(c) Police constable
(d) Police inspector
3. What kind of job does Nicolas have?
(a) House painter
4. What is Razumikhin's profession?
(a) A lawyer
(b) A teacher
(c) A policeman
(d) A student
5. What does Raskolnikov tell Zamyotov?
(a) How he committed the murder
(b) That he is lonely
(c) That he wants to kill himself
(d) That he is a crazed madman
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raskolnikov's mother compare his room to?
2. What kind of animal does Raskolnikov dream about?
3. What does Dunya thinks her brother is doing when he leaves so suddenly?
4. Where does Raskolnokov go at the end of the first chapter?
5. What does Porfiry do when he suspects someone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dostoevsky create so much drama in the murder scene?
2. How does Luzhin use his wealth?
3. In what way does Luzhin's letter put the women in a difficult position?
4. Why do you think Raskolnikov leaves the room so abruptly in chapter three?
5. Why do you think Raskolnikov visits Sonia?
6. What do you think Raskolnikov's dream in this chapter represents?
7. What does the letter show about Raskolnikov's relationship with his family?
8. In what way is Raskolnikov beginning to question himself and his theories?
9. How does Raskolnikov view a public confession?
10. Why do you think Dostoevsky distances the reader from Raskolnikov?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)