|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raskolnikov want to tell Sonia?
(a) That he is a murderer
(b) That he loves her
(c) That he understands her
(d) That he wants to die
2. What is Sonia's surname?
3. Where does Raskolnikov sleep?
(a) On the floor
(b) In an armchair
(c) In his bed
(d) On his sofa
4. Who does Raskolnikov owe money to?
(a) His landlady
(b) Loan sharks
(c) The government
(d) His mother
5. What does Svidrigaylov say he marriage was motivated by?
(a) A need to get out of debt
(b) A need to climb the social ladder
(d) The need to look after someone
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Luzhin want to marry Dunya so much?
2. What does Razumikhin have in the cafe?
3. Who does Sonia think will take care of her and her family?
4. Where did the craftsmen hear Nicolas's confession?
5. What does Raskolnikov ask his family to do before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Raskolnikov's dream in this chapter represents?
2. Why do you think Raskolnikov arranges to meet Porfiry?
3. Why is chapter six such an important scene in the novel?
4. How does Dostoevsky create so much drama in the murder scene?
5. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
6. How does Raskolnikov feel after the murder?
7. In what way is Raskolnikov beginning to question himself and his theories?
8. What is a magistrate in the context of this book?
9. How do you think the people in Raskolnikov's dream relate to his current situation?
10. In what way have Raskolnikov and Porfiry switched roles in chapter five?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)