|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raskolnikov present to the old lady to pawn?
(a) His matress
(b) His cigarette case
(c) His cigarette holder
(d) His bracelet
2. What does Raskolnikov's mother compare his room to?
(a) A poppy field
(b) A church
(c) A pig sty
(d) A tomb
3. Whose money is the 3,000 rubles?
(a) Svidrigaylov's deceased wife
(b) The government's
(c) The bank's
4. Who does Raskolnikov owe money to?
(a) The government
(b) His landlady
(c) His mother
(d) Loan sharks
5. What does Raskolnikov find in the old women's chest?
(a) A dead body
(b) Tins of food
(c) Clothes and jewelry
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime does Luzhin link to Svidrigaylov?
2. Why does Raskolnikov leave?
3. Why did Raskolnikov leave his family home?
4. Whose presence does Luzhin complain about?
5. What kind of animal does Raskolnikov dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Raskolnikov arranges to meet Porfiry?
2. How does Raskolnikov hide his guilt?
3. Why do you think Dunya chooses her brother over her fiance Luzhin?
4. What do you think it says about Razumikhin that he is so close to guessing the truth of the murder?
5. How seriously is Raskelnikov thinking about his unnamed idea?
6. In way does Raskolnikov show a weak will?
7. Why is chapter six such an important scene in the novel?
8. What do you think Raskolnikov's dream in this chapter represents?
9. Why is Nicolas suspected of the murder?
10. What is a magistrate in the context of this book?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)