Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov quite late into the novel. Examine Svidigaylov's character.
1) What do you think are the aims and conflicts of Svidrgaylov's character?
2) Why do you think Dostoevsky introduces Svidrigaylov into the story? What difference do you think he makes to the story?
3) What affect do you think his suicide has on the other characters? Does it change their outlook?
The novel is set in the Russian city of St. Petersburg.
1) What meaning does St. Petersburg bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in St. Petersburg?
2) How different do you think today's St. Petersburg is to the St. Petersburg in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's St. Petersburg?
3) How do you think the interior settings of the novel contribute to the novel's dark atmosphere?
Raskolnikov tries justifying his crime...
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)