* The story begins on a hot July evening in St. Petersburg, when the young student Raskolnikov goes out for a walk. He dreads meeting the landlady since he owes her money.
* His thoughts turn to a bizarre, mysterious notion that has recently come to him.
* Whatever the idea may be, he assures himself it is only a "hideous dream" and not a serious proposition.
* He walks to a house and rings the bell. A sickly old woman with a sharp, unkind face comes to the door.
* Inside the apartment he makes note of many little details, like the location of her keys and studies the rooms for signs of other inhabitants.
* He leaves the house and goes into a bar. The whole idea now seems ridiculous.
* At the bar, Raskolnikov meets Mr. Marmaladov, a civil servant. The drunken man tells his life story.
This section contains 2,475 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)