Part 1: Chapter 1 | Part 1: Chapter 2
• The story begins on a hot July evening in St. Petersburg, when the young student Raskolnikov goes out for a walk. He dreads meeting the landlady since he owes her money.
• His thoughts turn to a bizarre, mysterious notion that has recently come to him.
• Whatever the idea may be, he assures himself it is only a "hideous dream" and not a serious proposition.
• He walks to a house and rings the bell. A sickly old woman with a sharp, unkind face comes to the door.
• Inside the apartment he makes note of many little details, like the location of her keys and studies the rooms for signs of other inhabitants.
• He leaves the house and goes into a bar. The whole idea now seems ridiculous.
• At the bar, Raskolnikov meets Mr. Marmaladov, a civil servant. The drunken man tells his life story...
This section contains 2,505 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)