|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the emotions that the author intends to evoke from a reader indirectly?
2. Which of the following means using the simplest words to tell a story?
3. Which of the following is a reason Knight gives for an author not finishing a story?
4. What does Knight describe as being one sentence leading to another?
5. What is the voice a writer uses to tell parts of a story or differences in characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Knight's definition of a story? How does this differ from the definition you have known? What are the characteristics and qualities of a story?
Essay Topic 2
Why must a writer be empathetic to create a good piece of work? How does a writer's empathy differ from the empathy of a non-writer? How can a writer learn to empathize?
Essay Topic 3
What are the four stages of the developing writer as Knight describes them? Why is each stage significant? What must a writer going through the stages of development do to get out of each stage?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)