|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a consequence of not following an editor's advice?
2. If the writer feels the story is becoming boring, what does Knight believe is necessary?
3. After writing a book, how long does Knight suggest that the writer should step away from it?
4. Which of the following is a question Knight suggests the writer must ask about 'who'?
5. What is the purpose of reviewing work after it is complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the work habits that a writer should have, according to Knight. What should a writer do to be successful? What should a writer avoid to be successful?
Essay Topic 2
According to Knight, how can a writer get ideas? What are some common sources of inspiration for writers, including Knight?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Knight regard repetition as being negative in a short story? What are alliteration and consonance, and what role do they play in a short story? Why would it be advantageous or disadvantageous to include these elements in a story?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)