|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Knight, which of the following is most useful in developing characters?
2. Which of the following does Knight not say a writer must learn to do when writing a story?
3. What was the first bad habit that Knight had as a teenager?
4. Who wrote a story about a potentate whose wife died?
5. Which of the following does Knight say is not a story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a writer create tension?
2. How can one learn to empathize?
3. What approach should a writer take when dealing with an editor?
4. What does it mean for a writer to use constraints?
5. What debate does Knight struggle with?
6. Describe the work habits that a writer must have.
7. What pleasurable elements does Knight insist a story must have?
8. Describe the first stage of the developing writer.
9. According to Knight, what skill have many writers not learned?
10. What does Knight advise about drinking and drugs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Knight describe a short story? What is the difference between a short story and a novel? Why is such a distinction significant?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Knight's instructions regarding how to write. How do you know that you can trust Knight's instructions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different viewpoints that Knight presents in his book. Which is the most advantageous? Which is the most difficult? Why?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)