|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following matches the definition Knight has given for tension?
2. Which of the following conclusions did Knight arrive at?
3. What does Knight know he cannot pump into people?
4. Which of the following is expected to be true?
5. Which of the following does Knight say is good for creativity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the second person perspective awkward?
2. What approach should a writer take when dealing with an editor?
3. What does it mean for a writer to use constraints?
4. What does Knight say that he cannot do for students?
5. How can a writer create tension?
6. What types of awkward repetition should writers avoid?
7. What should a writer do if he or she gets stuck?
8. What are the advantages of having a surprise ending?
9. Describe some of the traits of the genres that Knight mentions.
10. What is the fourth stage of a developing writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the four stages of the developing writer as Knight describes them? Why is each stage significant? What must a writer going through the stages of development do to get out of each stage?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between tone and mood? Why should both tone and mood be present in a story? Is it possible to write a story that lacks both tone and mood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Knight describe a short story? What is the difference between a short story and a novel? Why is such a distinction significant?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)