|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Knight, what does fiction require to be believable?
2. What does Knight describe as being the most successful type of writer?
3. What does the unconscious mind require?
4. What are the materials in a story?
5. What can a writer observe to create empathy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What debate does Knight struggle with?
2. What does Knight mean when he says that writers need to learn to see?
3. According to Knight, what skill have many writers not learned?
4. Why does Knight suggest that non-writers have a hard time understanding writers?
5. If a writer wants to use a specific word or phrase but cannot think of it at the moment, what should he or she do?
6. What is a theme?
7. What does it mean for a writer to use constraints?
8. What is a story comprised of?
9. According to Knight, what sparks an idea for a story?
10. What journey does Knight expect his students to take as writers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why must a writer be empathetic to create a good piece of work? How does a writer's empathy differ from the empathy of a non-writer? How can a writer learn to empathize?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance that Knight places on theme and meaning. What is the difference between the two? How are they similar? Why are both elements important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Knight has debated with himself about why or why not good writing can be taught. What is your take on the issue? Can good storytelling be taught? Why or why not? How do your findings differ from Knight's?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)