|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of knowledge is best suited for creating a character with a believable backdrop?
(a) Knowledge about psychology.
(b) General knowledge.
(c) Knowledge about sociology.
(d) Knowledge about one specific field.
2. What was Tolstoy able to do remarkably well?
(a) Create characters.
(b) Create names.
(c) Create plot.
(d) Create setting.
3. According to Knight, what does fiction require to be believable?
(a) Realistic setting.
(b) Small details.
(c) Extreme falsehoods.
(d) A measure of truth.
4. For Knight, which of the following is most useful in developing characters?
5. What is the third stage of the developing writer?
(a) Characterization is complete but story is weak.
(b) Story is strong.
(c) Structure and story are strong but character is weak.
(d) Story is complete but weak in structure or character.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Knight know he cannot pump into people?
2. With which of the following does Knight claim to struggle ?
3. What is a story comprised of?
4. According to Knight, what does a good writer write?
5. What does Knight describe as being the most successful type of writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Knight's final and most important tip?
2. What is Knight's goal throughout the book?
3. What does Knight mean when he says that writers need to learn to see?
4. What does a reader expect at the end of a story?
5. What elements are crucial in creating an interesting character?
6. What kinds of courses does Damon Knight teach?
7. What is the fourth stage of a developing writer?
8. What tips does Knight give for naming characters?
9. What is tone?
10. Describe the first stage of the developing writer.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)