|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phobia does Miles have?
2. Who says, "There's no use trying to explain something to Joel in half an hour that I don't understand myself"?
3. What is the name of Miles' analyst?
4. How many times does Stella say Miles phones her when he is jealous that she is out with another man?
5. Who says, "You know Miles does odd things sometimes"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the story's use of addictions as a motif. What do Nat and Joel seem to be addicted to? How does each one treat their problem? What does the story seem to be saying about addictions.
Essay Topic 2
How is Hollywood treated in the story? What does working and living in Hollywood seem to do to people? How is the story different if it is set somewhere else.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the minor character Eva. What is her significance? Why is it important that she never speaks in the story? Given Eva's description--motherly, older, and wiser than Stella--why might Miles be attracted to her?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)