|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the theater where Joel meets Stella?
2. Who says, "There's no use trying to explain something to Joel in half an hour that I don't understand myself"?
3. Where is the sweater Stella wears after her sister's party?
4. How many times does Stella say Miles phones her when he is jealous that she is out with another man?
5. How are Stella and Miles dressed when they arrive at Stella's sister's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the minor character Eva. What is her significance? Why is it important that she never speaks in the story? Given Eva's description--motherly, older, and wiser than Stella--why might Miles be attracted to her?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's treatment of Stella. Why do you think the reader never learns much about her beyond her appearance?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it significant that Stella refuses to believe Miles is dead? What does her refusal to believe say about her? If she truly loves Miles, why does she keep reaching out to Joel to comfort her?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)