|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man Stella goes to the theater with in a story she tells Joel?
2. Who says, "Finally when people begin to come to me, Miles has to admit it"?
3. Where has Miles been the afternoon prior to the dinner party at Stella's sister's house?
4. How are Stella and Miles dressed when they arrive at Stella's sister's house?
5. What is the name of the theater where Joel meets Stella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important that Joel feels a sense of obligation to Miles? What does it say about Joel? What does it say about Miles? How does Joel try to undermine that sense of obligation?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Joel's love for Stella. Does it seem sincere? What does he love about her? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the story's use of addictions as a motif. What do Nat and Joel seem to be addicted to? How does each one treat their problem? What does the story seem to be saying about addictions.
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)