|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of suit does Joel wear to dinner at Stella's sister's house?
2. Who says, "Help yourself to a drink"?
3. When Stella steps away after reading the telegram from Miles, Joel wanders over to what object?
4. Who says, "There's nothing the matter with your life"?
5. What is Miles diagnosed with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between Stella and Joel. Why does she latch onto him? Do you think she has real feelings for him? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role of Nat in the story. What is his purpose? How does he help the reader to learn more about Joel? How is the story different without him?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Joel's immaturity. Cite three instances where his immaturity is prevalent in the story. What significance does each instance play in the story, and what is the overall significance of this character trait?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)