|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it clear that Stella and Miles are doing prior to arriving at Stella's sister's house?
2. What is Miles diagnosed with?
3. How long does Miles say it takes to get his life cleared up?
4. What color is the dress Stella wears when she meets Joel at the theater?
5. What is the name of the man who Stella says is trying to change Miles' picture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the minor character Eva. What is her significance? Why is it important that she never speaks in the story? Given Eva's description--motherly, older, and wiser than Stella--why might Miles be attracted to her?
Essay Topic 2
Cite three instances where motherhood plays a role in the story and explain their significance. What do you think the story is saying about motherhood?
Essay Topic 3
How is Hollywood treated in the story? What does working and living in Hollywood seem to do to people? How is the story different if it is set somewhere else.
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)