|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man Stella goes to the theater with in a story she tells Joel?
2. Who says, "You know Miles does odd things sometimes"?
3. Where in her house does Stella find a telegram from Miles?
4. Where is the sweater Stella wears after her sister's party?
5. What color is the tie that Joel wears to dinner at Stella's sister's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Joel's immaturity. Cite three instances where his immaturity is prevalent in the story. What significance does each instance play in the story, and what is the overall significance of this character trait?
Essay Topic 2
What role do telegrams play in the story? How are they significant? What purpose do the telegrams serve in the story? Of the three telegrams sent, what is the common bond?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the story's treatment of friendship. Look at Stella's friendship with Eva and Joel's friendship with Nat. How are the friendships alike and how are they different? What is the author saying about friendship?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)