|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man Stella goes to the theater with in a story she tells Joel?
2. Who says, "Finally when people begin to come to me, Miles has to admit it"?
3. What is the name of Miles' analyst?
4. Where is the sweater Stella wears after her sister's party?
5. What is Eva's relationship to Stella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important that Joel feels a sense of obligation to Miles? What does it say about Joel? What does it say about Miles? How does Joel try to undermine that sense of obligation?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the story's use of addictions as a motif. What do Nat and Joel seem to be addicted to? How does each one treat their problem? What does the story seem to be saying about addictions.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it significant that Stella refuses to believe Miles is dead? What does her refusal to believe say about her? If she truly loves Miles, why does she keep reaching out to Joel to comfort her?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)