|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Nat pay his new employee a year?
2. How does Joel feel when he hears the singing at Miles' tea?
3. What is Stella's sister's name?
4. What is Stella's job when she meets Joel?
5. How is Stella's face described in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Beverly Hills looks like as Joel and Stella walk to her house.
2. Why does Stella kiss Joel?
3. Why does Joel think Stella wants him to stay with her after hearing the news about Miles' death?
4. Why does Joel believe people do not show Stella a lot of attention?
5. How does Miles die?
6. How does Stella react when she sees Joel calling her friends?
7. Why does Joel begin to feel less obligated to Miles?
8. What is Joel's skit about?
9. What reason does Miles give for why he no longer wants Stella and Joel to discuss the affair at June's house?
10. What does Joel do when he realizes he is in love with Stella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important that Joel feels a sense of obligation to Miles? What does it say about Joel? What does it say about Miles? How does Joel try to undermine that sense of obligation?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between Stella and Joel. Why does she latch onto him? Do you think she has real feelings for him? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role do telegrams play in the story? How are they significant? What purpose do the telegrams serve in the story? Of the three telegrams sent, what is the common bond?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)