Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I am a flop"?
2. How is Stella's face described in Part One?
3. What is Joel's last name?
4. Who does Joel write a letter to the morning after the tea?
5. Who says, "Thanks for your cooperation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel become overcome with bitterness at the end of the story?
2. Why does Joel decide to put on a skit at the Calman house?
3. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
4. Why does Stella think Miles might be watching her and Joel?
5. What reason does Miles give for why he no longer wants Stella and Joel to discuss the affair at June's house?
6. How do Stella and Joel find out that Miles is dead?
7. Why does Joel want the names of Stella's doctor or friends?
8. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
9. How does Miles react when Joel points out his double standard?
10. How does Joel come to realize he is in love with Stella?
Look at the relationship between Miles and Stella. How do you characterize their relationship? What is the driving force in their relationship? Do they seem to love each other?
Look at the minor character Eva. What is her significance? Why is it important that she never speaks in the story? Given Eva's description--motherly, older, and wiser than Stella--why might Miles be attracted to her?
Cite three instances where motherhood plays a role in the story and explain their significance. What do you think the story is saying about motherhood?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)