|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stella's job when she meets Joel?
2. Who helps Joel into his coat after he performs his skit?
3. Where does Joel's mother want him to go?
4. In the story Nat tells Joel, why does the Great Lover become angry with the man?
5. What is Nat's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the day after the tea at the Calman house, what does Joel swear he never does again?
2. Why does Stella think Miles might be watching her and Joel?
3. How does Joel feel when he thinks he does not get involved with Stella?
4. What does Joel promise Stella before he leaves her house at the end of the story?
5. Why does Stella become dismayed when a telegram delivery boy comes to her door?
6. Describe what Beverly Hills looks like as Joel and Stella walk to her house.
7. What reason does Stella give for why Miles is not at the theater?
8. Why does Joel want the names of Stella's doctor or friends?
9. What is the double standard that Joel points out to Miles?
10. Why does Joel begin to feel less obligated to Miles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role of Nat in the story. What is his purpose? How does he help the reader to learn more about Joel? How is the story different without him?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the story's treatment of friendship. Look at Stella's friendship with Eva and Joel's friendship with Nat. How are the friendships alike and how are they different? What is the author saying about friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Joel and Miles. What traits do they have in common? How do they differ? How does the author use Miles to help the reader learn more about Joel?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)