|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Joel and Nat's conversation at the tea?
2. At what point during the tea does Joel decide to perform his skit?
3. What is Nat's last name?
4. How does Joel react when he receives a telegram two days after the tea?
5. Two days after the tea, Joel receives an invitation to an event taking place on what day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Miles give for why he no longer wants Stella and Joel to discuss the affair at June's house?
2. What does Joel say to Stella about new mothers?
3. Describe the letter Stella sends to Joel.
4. Why does Joel believe people do not show Stella a lot of attention?
5. Why do not Joel and Stella go to the nightclub after the show?
6. What does Joel do when he realizes he is in love with Stella?
7. What does Miles' mother say that surprises Joel?
8. How does Miles tell Joel he can obtain more information about his problems?
9. What three things happen at once at the end of Part Four?
10. Describe what Beverly Hills looks like as Joel and Stella walk to her house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the relationship between Miles and Stella. How do you characterize their relationship? What is the driving force in their relationship? Do they seem to love each other?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Joel's love for Stella. Does it seem sincere? What does he love about her? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important that Joel feels a sense of obligation to Miles? What does it say about Joel? What does it say about Miles? How does Joel try to undermine that sense of obligation?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)