|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nat cheers Joel up with a story about a man by what name?
2. What does Miles invite Joel to attend at the beginning of the story?
3. Where does Miles live?
4. Where does Joel live?
5. In the story Nat tells Joel, what time is it when a man calls the Great Lover on the telephone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel call Stella's doctor even though she asks him not to?
2. Why does Joel start to think that putting on a skit is a bad idea?
3. Describe the letter Stella sends to Joel.
4. What does Miles' mother say that surprises Joel?
5. Why does Stella kiss Joel?
6. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
7. Why does Joel want the names of Stella's doctor or friends?
8. How does Stella come to realize Miles still loves her?
9. How do Stella and Joel find out that Miles is dead?
10. What is the double standard that Joel points out to Miles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joel and Miles. What traits do they have in common? How do they differ? How does the author use Miles to help the reader learn more about Joel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role of Nat in the story. What is his purpose? How does he help the reader to learn more about Joel? How is the story different without him?
Essay Topic 3
How is Hollywood treated in the story? What does working and living in Hollywood seem to do to people? How is the story different if it is set somewhere else.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)