|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Nat tell Joel he makes in a year?
2. Who does Joel write a letter to the morning after the tea?
3. Where does Joel first meet Stella?
4. Where does Joel's mother want him to go?
5. What does Joel promise himself he does not do at Miles' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel wish to refrain from drinking at Miles' house?
2. How does Nat attempt to make Joel feel better the day after the tea at the Calman house?
3. Why does Joel think Stella wants him to stay with her after hearing the news about Miles' death?
4. Why does Joel call Stella's doctor even though she asks him not to?
5. How does Joel come to realize that he fails to impress the crowd with his skit?
6. What does Joel start to feel about Stella when he has a moment alone, after Stella receives a telegram from Miles?
7. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
8. Why does Joel become overcome with bitterness at the end of the story?
9. What is the double standard that Joel points out to Miles?
10. How does Miles react when Joel points out his double standard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Hollywood treated in the story? What does working and living in Hollywood seem to do to people? How is the story different if it is set somewhere else.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role of Nat in the story. What is his purpose? How does he help the reader to learn more about Joel? How is the story different without him?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between Stella and Joel. Why does she latch onto him? Do you think she has real feelings for him? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)