|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joel have for breakfast the morning after the tea?
2. What does Joel receive an invitation to two days after the tea?
3. Nat tells Joel a story about a premiere at what theater?
4. What does Joel do with his breakfast the morning after the tea?
5. Who helps Joel into his coat after he performs his skit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel become overcome with bitterness at the end of the story?
2. How does Joel come to realize that he fails to impress the crowd with his skit?
3. Describe the group of actors sitting next to Joel and Nat at lunch.
4. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
5. What does Joel say to Stella about new mothers?
6. What reason does Miles give for why he no longer wants Stella and Joel to discuss the affair at June's house?
7. Why is Joel mortified the morning after the first Sunday he spends at the Calman house?
8. At the beginning of the story, how does Joel feel about Sundays?
9. Why does Joel become uncomfortable when he sees a group of people the day after the tea at the Calman house?
10. Why do not Joel and Stella go to the nightclub after the show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of insecurity in the story? How does insecurity drive the plot? Which characters are the most insecure? What is the story saying about insecurity?
Essay Topic 2
What role do telegrams play in the story? How are they significant? What purpose do the telegrams serve in the story? Of the three telegrams sent, what is the common bond?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it significant that Stella refuses to believe Miles is dead? What does her refusal to believe say about her? If she truly loves Miles, why does she keep reaching out to Joel to comfort her?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)