|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point during the tea does Joel decide to perform his skit?
2. Two days after the tea, Joel receives an invitation to an event taking place on what day?
3. How much does Nat pay his new employee a year?
4. What is the name of the character Joel plays during the skit?
5. What is Miles' last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do not Joel and Stella go to the nightclub after the show?
2. How does Stella react after Miles tells her he still loves her?
3. According to Miles' analyst, what problem does Miles have?
4. Why does Stella kiss Joel?
5. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
6. Why does Stella refuse to believe that Miles is dead?
7. How does Miles die?
8. What is the double standard that Joel points out to Miles?
9. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
10. Why does Joel think Stella wants him to stay with her after hearing the news about Miles' death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role of Nat in the story. What is his purpose? How does he help the reader to learn more about Joel? How is the story different without him?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of insecurity in the story? How does insecurity drive the plot? Which characters are the most insecure? What is the story saying about insecurity?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the author's treatment of Stella. Why do you think the reader never learns much about her beyond her appearance?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)