|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is the first event that Miles invites Joel to?
2. How old is Joel?
3. Who is the man who performed a song at the tea?
4. What does Nat tell Joel he has a problem with?
5. Who says, "Everybody watches for everybody else's blunders, or tries to make sure they're with people that'll do them credit"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stella kiss Joel?
2. How does Nat attempt to make Joel feel better the day after the tea at the Calman house?
3. What three things happen at once at the end of Part Four?
4. Why does Joel believe people do not show Stella a lot of attention?
5. How does Joel feel when he thinks he does not get involved with Stella?
6. How does Joel come to realize he is in love with Stella?
7. How does Miles react when Joel points out his double standard?
8. What does Joel contemplate when he wakes after spending the night with Stella?
9. How does Stella come to realize Miles still loves her?
10. What is Joel pleased to see when he first arrives at Miles' home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the story's treatment of friendship. Look at Stella's friendship with Eva and Joel's friendship with Nat. How are the friendships alike and how are they different? What is the author saying about friendship?
Essay Topic 2
What role do telegrams play in the story? How are they significant? What purpose do the telegrams serve in the story? Of the three telegrams sent, what is the common bond?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of insecurity in the story? How does insecurity drive the plot? Which characters are the most insecure? What is the story saying about insecurity?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)