|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joel first meet Stella?
2. How does Joel feel when he hears the singing at Miles' tea?
3. What does the Great Lover shout at Joel after his skit?
4. How does Joel close the telegram he sends in Part Two?
5. How many children do Stella and Miles have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joel's skit about?
2. How does Joel feel when he thinks he does not get involved with Stella?
3. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
4. What reason does Stella give for why Miles is not at the theater?
5. Describe the letter Joel sends to Miles.
6. How do Stella and Joel find out that Miles is dead?
7. Why do not Joel and Stella go to the nightclub after the show?
8. Why does Stella become dismayed when a telegram delivery boy comes to her door?
9. What is the double standard that Joel points out to Miles?
10. What story does Stella tell as an example of Miles' jealously?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the minor character Eva. What is her significance? Why is it important that she never speaks in the story? Given Eva's description--motherly, older, and wiser than Stella--why might Miles be attracted to her?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the story's use of addictions as a motif. What do Nat and Joel seem to be addicted to? How does each one treat their problem? What does the story seem to be saying about addictions.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between Stella and Joel. Why does she latch onto him? Do you think she has real feelings for him? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)