|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stella's sister's name?
2. How does Joel feel when he hears the singing at Miles' tea?
3. What does Miles invite Joel to attend at the beginning of the story?
4. Who helps Joel into his coat after he performs his skit?
5. Who says, "I am a flop"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel call Stella's doctor even though she asks him not to?
2. Describe the letter Stella sends to Joel.
3. At the beginning of the story, how does Joel feel about Sundays?
4. Why does Joel become uncomfortable when he sees a group of people the day after the tea at the Calman house?
5. How does Miles die?
6. What does Joel say to Stella about people in Hollywood?
7. How does Stella react when she sees Joel calling her friends?
8. Why does Joel believe people do not show Stella a lot of attention?
9. Why does Joel become overcome with bitterness at the end of the story?
10. What does Joel say to Stella about new mothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role of Nat in the story. What is his purpose? How does he help the reader to learn more about Joel? How is the story different without him?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Stella refuses to believe Miles is dead? What does her refusal to believe say about her? If she truly loves Miles, why does she keep reaching out to Joel to comfort her?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between Stella and Joel. Why does she latch onto him? Do you think she has real feelings for him? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)