|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nat tell Joel he hires?
2. According to the invitation from Miles, what time does the tea start?
3. How does Joel react when he receives a telegram two days after the tea?
4. How does Joel feel when he hears the singing at Miles' tea?
5. What day is the first event that Miles invites Joel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stella make Joel feel important?
2. How does Joel come to realize he is in love with Stella?
3. How does Stella react when she sees Joel calling her friends?
4. How does Joel feel when he thinks he does not get involved with Stella?
5. What does Joel contemplate when he wakes after spending the night with Stella?
6. What does Nat say is ironic about his financial situation?
7. What does Joel do when he realizes he is in love with Stella?
8. What does Joel tell Stella when she comes downstairs, while alone at her home?
9. What does Joel start to feel about Stella when he has a moment alone, after Stella receives a telegram from Miles?
10. What three things happen at once at the end of Part Four?
Essay Topic 1
Cite three instances where motherhood plays a role in the story and explain their significance. What do you think the story is saying about motherhood?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Stella refuses to believe Miles is dead? What does her refusal to believe say about her? If she truly loves Miles, why does she keep reaching out to Joel to comfort her?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Joel's immaturity. Cite three instances where his immaturity is prevalent in the story. What significance does each instance play in the story, and what is the overall significance of this character trait?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)