|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Joel's eyes?
2. Who is the only person who thinks Joel's skit is a success?
3. What interrupts Joel and Nat's conversation at the tea?
4. Nat cheers Joel up with a story about a man by what name?
5. What does Nat tell Joel he hires?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stella react after Miles tells her he still loves her?
2. On the day after the tea at the Calman house, what does Joel swear he never does again?
3. What is Joel pleased to see when he first arrives at Miles' home?
4. Why do party goers look at Stella and Joel curiously when they are chatting at Stella's sister's home?
5. What does Joel start to feel about Stella when he has a moment alone, after Stella receives a telegram from Miles?
6. Why does Joel wish to refrain from drinking at Miles' house?
7. How do Stella and Joel find out that Miles is dead?
8. How does Joel come to realize he is in love with Stella?
9. Why does Joel begin to feel less obligated to Miles?
10. How does Joel react to the letter he receives from Stella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role of Nat in the story. What is his purpose? How does he help the reader to learn more about Joel? How is the story different without him?
Essay Topic 2
How is Hollywood treated in the story? What does working and living in Hollywood seem to do to people? How is the story different if it is set somewhere else.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the relationship between Miles and Stella. How do you characterize their relationship? What is the driving force in their relationship? Do they seem to love each other?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)