|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Joel into his coat after he performs his skit?
2. What does Miles invite Joel to attend at the beginning of the story?
3. How does Joel react when he receives a telegram two days after the tea?
4. Who is described as having "an eye as keen as the eye of a potato"?
5. With whom does Joel discuss Miles' success?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three things happen at once at the end of Part Four?
2. Describe what Beverly Hills looks like as Joel and Stella walk to her house.
3. Why does Joel believe people do not show Stella a lot of attention?
4. What story does Stella tell as an example of Miles' jealously?
5. Why does Joel become uncomfortable when he sees a group of people the day after the tea at the Calman house?
6. What reason does Stella give for why Miles is not at the theater?
7. Why does Joel think his career must be moving in the right direction?
8. Why does Stella refuse to believe that Miles is dead?
9. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
10. Why does Joel start to think that putting on a skit is a bad idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the story's treatment of friendship. Look at Stella's friendship with Eva and Joel's friendship with Nat. How are the friendships alike and how are they different? What is the author saying about friendship?
Essay Topic 2
What role do telegrams play in the story? How are they significant? What purpose do the telegrams serve in the story? Of the three telegrams sent, what is the common bond?
Essay Topic 3
Cite three instances where motherhood plays a role in the story and explain their significance. What do you think the story is saying about motherhood?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)