|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joel's mother do for a living?
2. What does Nat tell Joel he hires?
3. Nat tells Joel a story about a premiere at what theater?
4. How does Nat refer to the Great Lover while telling a story?
5. Where does Joel live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stella kiss Joel?
2. Why do not Joel and Stella go to the nightclub after the show?
3. Why does Stella become dismayed when a telegram delivery boy comes to her door?
4. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
5. Why is Joel mortified the morning after the first Sunday he spends at the Calman house?
6. Why do party goers look at Stella and Joel curiously when they are chatting at Stella's sister's home?
7. What does Joel say to Stella about new mothers?
8. Why does Joel begin to feel less obligated to Miles?
9. How does Miles die?
10. What does Nat say is ironic about his financial situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Hollywood treated in the story? What does working and living in Hollywood seem to do to people? How is the story different if it is set somewhere else.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's treatment of Stella. Why do you think the reader never learns much about her beyond her appearance?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the story's treatment of friendship. Look at Stella's friendship with Eva and Joel's friendship with Nat. How are the friendships alike and how are they different? What is the author saying about friendship?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)