|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the skit Joel performs at the tea?
2. How does Joel feel after he finishes his skit?
3. In the story Nat tells Joel, why does the Great Lover become angry with the man?
4. What does Joel do with his breakfast the morning after the tea?
5. Who asks, "What do you mean you're in permanent retirement"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel think his career must be moving in the right direction?
2. What three things happen at once at the end of Part Four?
3. What does Joel say to Stella about new mothers?
4. At the second Sunday event in the story, what dp Miles and Stella been arguing about?
5. How does Joel feel when he thinks he does not get involved with Stella?
6. What does Joel start to feel about Stella when he has a moment alone, after Stella receives a telegram from Miles?
7. Why does Joel decide to put on a skit at the Calman house?
8. Why does Joel begin to feel less obligated to Miles?
9. How does Miles die?
10. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Joel's skit an important aspect of the story? What does the skit represent? What does the skit tell the reader about Joel? How does it drive the events of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Stella refuses to believe Miles is dead? What does her refusal to believe say about her? If she truly loves Miles, why does she keep reaching out to Joel to comfort her?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the relationship between Miles and Stella. How do you characterize their relationship? What is the driving force in their relationship? Do they seem to love each other?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)