|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nat tells Joel a story about a premiere at what theater?
2. How much money does Nat tell Joel he makes in a year?
3. Who is the man who performed a song at the tea?
4. Who helps Joel into his coat after he performs his skit?
5. In the story Nat tells Joel, why does the Great Lover become angry with the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel want the names of Stella's doctor or friends?
2. Why does Joel believe people do not show Stella a lot of attention?
3. Describe what Beverly Hills looks like as Joel and Stella walk to her house.
4. Why does Joel decide to put on a skit at the Calman house?
5. What story does Stella tell as an example of Miles' jealously?
6. What does Joel watch to see if Stella does when their conversation is interrupted?
7. Why does Stella refuse to believe that Miles is dead?
8. At the beginning of the story, how does Joel feel about Sundays?
9. What does Joel tell Stella when she comes downstairs, while alone at her home?
10. Why does Joel call Stella's doctor even though she asks him not to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role of Nat in the story. What is his purpose? How does he help the reader to learn more about Joel? How is the story different without him?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the story's use of addictions as a motif. What do Nat and Joel seem to be addicted to? How does each one treat their problem? What does the story seem to be saying about addictions.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important that Joel feels a sense of obligation to Miles? What does it say about Joel? What does it say about Miles? How does Joel try to undermine that sense of obligation?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)