|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joel feel when he hears the singing at Miles' tea?
2. Who does Joel write a letter to the morning after the tea?
3. Nat cheers Joel up with a story about a man by what name?
4. Who helps Joel into his coat after he performs his skit?
5. What does Joel's mother do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joel do when he realizes he is in love with Stella?
2. Why does Stella refuse to believe that Miles is dead?
3. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
4. How does Stella come to realize Miles still loves her?
5. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
6. What does Joel contemplate when he wakes after spending the night with Stella?
7. How does Stella make Joel feel important?
8. Describe the group of actors sitting next to Joel and Nat at lunch.
9. What does Miles' mother say that surprises Joel?
10. How does Joel come to realize he is in love with Stella?
Essay Topic 1
Explore Joel's immaturity. Cite three instances where his immaturity is prevalent in the story. What significance does each instance play in the story, and what is the overall significance of this character trait?
Essay Topic 2
How is Hollywood treated in the story? What does working and living in Hollywood seem to do to people? How is the story different if it is set somewhere else.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Joel's love for Stella. Does it seem sincere? What does he love about her? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)