|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nat and Joel eat lunch next to a group from what kind of film?
2. Nat cheers Joel up with a story about a man by what name?
3. What is the name of the character Joel plays during the skit?
4. Who does Joel write a letter to the morning after the tea?
5. Who asks, "What do you mean you're in permanent retirement"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Stella give for why Miles is not at the theater?
2. How does Miles die?
3. Describe the group of actors sitting next to Joel and Nat at lunch.
4. Why does Stella become dismayed when a telegram delivery boy comes to her door?
5. How does Miles tell Joel he can obtain more information about his problems?
6. How does Nat attempt to make Joel feel better the day after the tea at the Calman house?
7. At the second Sunday event in the story, what dp Miles and Stella been arguing about?
8. Why does Joel want the names of Stella's doctor or friends?
9. What three things happen at once at the end of Part Four?
10. Why does Joel become uncomfortable when he sees a group of people the day after the tea at the Calman house?
Essay Topic 1
Why is it significant that Stella refuses to believe Miles is dead? What does her refusal to believe say about her? If she truly loves Miles, why does she keep reaching out to Joel to comfort her?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's treatment of Stella. Why do you think the reader never learns much about her beyond her appearance?
Essay Topic 3
What role do telegrams play in the story? How are they significant? What purpose do the telegrams serve in the story? Of the three telegrams sent, what is the common bond?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)