|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Joel and Nat's conversation at the tea?
2. Joel is working on a movie based on a play by what author?
3. In the story Nat tells Joel, why does the Great Lover become angry with the man?
4. What is Nat's occupation?
5. What is Stella's job when she meets Joel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stella tell Joel when he asks for the names of her friends?
2. What does Joel contemplate when he wakes after spending the night with Stella?
3. What reason does Miles give for why he no longer wants Stella and Joel to discuss the affair at June's house?
4. Why does Joel wish to refrain from drinking at Miles' house?
5. What is Joel's skit about?
6. Describe the letter Joel sends to Miles.
7. At the beginning of the story, how does Joel feel about Sundays?
8. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
9. Why does Joel call Stella's doctor even though she asks him not to?
10. How does Miles tell Joel he can obtain more information about his problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cite three instances where motherhood plays a role in the story and explain their significance. What do you think the story is saying about motherhood?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Joel's skit an important aspect of the story? What does the skit represent? What does the skit tell the reader about Joel? How does it drive the events of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Miles' double standard that he uses for his wife? Why does he think he should be allowed to have an affair but divorces Stella if she is unfaithful? What does this say about gender stereotypes in the story?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)