Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I am a flop"?
2. How is Stella's face described in Part One?
3. What is Joel's last name?
4. Who does Joel write a letter to the morning after the tea?
5. Who says, "Thanks for your cooperation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel become overcome with bitterness at the end of the story?
2. Why does Joel decide to put on a skit at the Calman house?
3. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
4. Why does Stella think Miles might be watching her and Joel?
5. What reason does Miles give for why he no longer wants Stella and Joel to discuss the affair at June's house?
6. How do Stella and Joel find out that Miles is dead?
7. Why does Joel want the names of Stella's doctor or friends?
8. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
9. How does Miles react when Joel points out his double standard?
10. How does Joel come to realize he is in love with Stella?
Essay Topic 1
Why is it significant that Stella refuses to believe Miles is dead? What does her refusal to believe say about her? If she truly loves Miles, why does she keep reaching out to Joel to comfort her?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the story's treatment of friendship. Look at Stella's friendship with Eva and Joel's friendship with Nat. How are the friendships alike and how are they different? What is the author saying about friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important that Joel feels a sense of obligation to Miles? What does it say about Joel? What does it say about Miles? How does Joel try to undermine that sense of obligation?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)