|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joel receive an invitation to two days after the tea?
2. How much money does Nat tell Joel he loses recently?
3. Joel is working on a movie based on a play by what author?
4. In the story Nat tells Joel, what time is it when a man calls the Great Lover on the telephone?
5. Who does Joel write a letter to the morning after the tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Stella and Joel find out that Miles is dead?
2. Why does Stella kiss Joel?
3. At the second Sunday event in the story, what dp Miles and Stella been arguing about?
4. At the beginning of the story, how does Joel feel about Sundays?
5. Why does Stella think Miles might be watching her and Joel?
6. Why does Joel begin to feel less obligated to Miles?
7. Why is Joel mortified the morning after the first Sunday he spends at the Calman house?
8. How does Miles react when Joel points out his double standard?
9. What reason does Stella give for why Miles is not attending the dinner and theater party?
10. What does Joel promise Stella before he leaves her house at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important that Joel feels a sense of obligation to Miles? What does it say about Joel? What does it say about Miles? How does Joel try to undermine that sense of obligation?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between Stella and Joel. Why does she latch onto him? Do you think she has real feelings for him? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it significant that Stella refuses to believe Miles is dead? What does her refusal to believe say about her? If she truly loves Miles, why does she keep reaching out to Joel to comfort her?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)