Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I am a flop"?
2. How is Stella's face described in Part One?
3. What is Joel's last name?
4. Who does Joel write a letter to the morning after the tea?
5. Who says, "Thanks for your cooperation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel become overcome with bitterness at the end of the story?
2. Why does Joel decide to put on a skit at the Calman house?
3. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
4. Why does Stella think Miles might be watching her and Joel?
5. What reason does Miles give for why he no longer wants Stella and Joel to discuss the affair at June's house?
6. How do Stella and Joel find out that Miles is dead?
7. Why does Joel want the names of Stella's doctor or friends?
8. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
9. How does Miles react when Joel points out his double standard?
10. How does Joel come to realize he is in love with Stella?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the story's use of addictions as a motif. What do Nat and Joel seem to be addicted to? How does each one treat their problem? What does the story seem to be saying about addictions.
Essay Topic 2
Explore Joel's immaturity. Cite three instances where his immaturity is prevalent in the story. What significance does each instance play in the story, and what is the overall significance of this character trait?
Essay Topic 3
Cite three instances where motherhood plays a role in the story and explain their significance. What do you think the story is saying about motherhood?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)