|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the skit Joel performs at the tea?
(a) Building It Up.
(b) Down and Out.
(c) Bringing Up Baby.
(d) Knocking It Down.
2. What does Joel do for a living?
(c) Makeup artist.
3. How much money does Nat tell Joel he loses recently?
(a) Forty thousand dollars.
(b) Ten thousand dollars.
(c) One hundred thousand dollars.
(d) Twenty-five thousand dollars.
4. What day is the first event that Miles invites Joel to?
5. What is Stella's sister's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story Nat tells Joel, why does the Great Lover become angry with the man?
2. According to the invitation from Miles, what time does the tea end?
3. Who says, "Everybody watches for everybody else's blunders, or tries to make sure they're with people that'll do them credit"?
4. Who does Joel ask to help him with the skit at the tea?
5. What role does Joel need filled in the skit at the tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Stella give for why Miles is not attending the dinner and theater party?
2. What is the reason Miles gives for why he does not see Joel at work?
3. How does Stella react when she sees Joel calling her friends?
4. Why does Joel begin to feel less obligated to Miles?
5. What does Miles' mother say that surprises Joel?
6. Why does Joel believe people do not show Stella a lot of attention?
7. At the beginning of the story, how does Joel feel about Sundays?
8. Why does Stella become dismayed when a telegram delivery boy comes to her door?
9. How does Joel react to the letter he receives from Stella?
10. What reason does Stella give for why Miles is not at the theater?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)