|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Joel's last name?
2. What does Joel say that new mothers need?
(a) Lots of girlfriends.
(b) Unqualified devotion.
(c) Time away from their familes.
(d) To go shopping in Paris.
3. What interrupts Joel and Nat's conversation at the tea?
(a) Stella pulls Joel away.
(b) Miles pulls Nat away.
(c) Live music.
(d) A game of chrades breaks out.
4. Who laughs during Joel's skit?
(c) No one.
5. What does Miles invite Joel to attend at the beginning of the story?
(a) A ball.
(b) A dinner party.
(c) A tea.
(d) A racketball match.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joel first meet Stella?
2. What does Joel receive an invitation to two days after the tea?
3. Who is described as having "an eye as keen as the eye of a potato"?
4. Who asks, "What do you mean you're in permanent retirement"?
5. After being cheered up by Nat's story, what does Joel see that makes him wince?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joel think Stella wants him to stay with her after hearing the news about Miles' death?
2. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
3. Why do party goers look at Stella and Joel curiously when they are chatting at Stella's sister's home?
4. Why does Joel start to think that putting on a skit is a bad idea?
5. What three things happen at once at the end of Part Four?
6. What story does Stella tell as an example of Miles' jealously?
7. What does Joel tell Stella when she comes downstairs, while alone at her home?
8. How does Joel come to realize that he fails to impress the crowd with his skit?
9. Why is Joel mortified the morning after the first Sunday he spends at the Calman house?
10. According to Miles' analyst, what problem does Miles have?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)