|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joel promise himself he does not do at Miles' house?
2. How does Joel react when he receives a telegram two days after the tea?
(a) He thinks it is sweet.
(b) It makes him angry.
(c) He throws it away.
(d) He cries.
3. Who writes the skit Joel performs at the tea?
(c) Eugene O'Neill.
4. What does Joel have for breakfast the morning after the tea?
(c) Cold cereal.
(d) Poached eggs.
5. What is the name of the skit Joel performs at the tea?
(a) Down and Out.
(b) Building It Up.
(c) Bringing Up Baby.
(d) Knocking It Down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as having "an eye as keen as the eye of a potato"?
2. Who helps Joel into his coat after he performs his skit?
3. What does Joel say that new mothers need?
4. What is Stella's sister's name?
5. Where does Joel first meet Stella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joel do when he realizes he is in love with Stella?
2. What does Joel promise Stella before he leaves her house at the end of the story?
3. Describe the letter Stella sends to Joel.
4. Why does Joel spend the rest of his afternoon at the tea talking to people he does not know?
5. How does Stella make Joel feel important?
6. Why is Joel mortified the morning after the first Sunday he spends at the Calman house?
7. What is the double standard that Joel points out to Miles?
8. Why does Joel wish to refrain from drinking at Miles' house?
9. Why does Joel become uncomfortable when he sees a group of people the day after the tea at the Calman house?
10. How does Joel react to the letter he receives from Stella?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)