|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie do after Johnny Mack's house purchase is completed?
2. In what three areas does Joyce want to deal with in the Circus?
3. Of what do Eddie and Ava finally convince Joyce?
4. What worries Joyce about the break-ins?
5. What is the basic goal of the Sewing Circus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerry Anderson, the minister's wife, is the epitome of self righteous, judgmental behavior.
1. Do you think this statement is true? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Tell about a situation you or someone you know was confronted with a judgmental person.
3. Do you think a person has the right to judge others and tell others how to behave? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Time has also taken its toll on the lives of those closest to Ava, and we learn of the difficulties suffered by Joyce, Joyce and Ava's mother, Eddie and even Ava herself. Their stories are different, but the theme of success in spite of adversity is starting to emerge through the glimpses of character that the author reveals in these early chapters.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think adversity can make a person try harder to be successful? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Ava, Joyce and Eddie's lives are any more difficult than most people's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After all the lessons and social commentary throughout the book, the author finishes with the most hopeful one of all: the fact that there are possibilities for new beginnings.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Describe a new beginning you or someone you know has had. Show how it might relate to the characters in this book.
3. Why do you think beginning a new path in life takes courage? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)