|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Joyce and Ava find in the house?
2. What do Ava and Eddie think about Frank's behavior towards Imani?
3. Why did Ava feel so good about being with Eddie?
4. What does Ava notice about her and Eddie walking?
5. How does Ava feel about her experience with Eddie the night before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two themes present themselves in these chapters: adversity and ignorance.
1. Explain what you think this statement means. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think are the best ways to change people who are ignorant about social issues? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Reverend Anderson's behavior in kicking Joyce from the church room reflects a harmful or helpful attitude on the part of a minister? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Clearly, the adversity faced by Eddie and Ava has provided each of them with not only a tolerance for situations that are far from perfect, but also respect for the core of the other person.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Eddie had had no problems in his life he would have accepted Ava as well? Why or why not.
3. Do you think adversity is necessary in order to make a person tolerance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gerry Anderson's returning the AIDS pamphlets symbolizes the ignorance and denial of many who would be in a position to help and possibly save lives.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think AIDS education should be taught to high school students? Why or why not?
3. What do you think is the best way for young people to learn about and avoid AIDS?
This section contains 2,154 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)