|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ava go when she wakes up?
2. What does Ava do with her information about the Reverend?
3. What is Ava thinking about as she runs through the woods?
4. What does the hospital say after they treat Imani?
5. What is the basic goal of the Sewing Circus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's use of time shifts is an effective technique that allows her to share Ava's thoughts without the benefit of dialogue with another character.
1. Why do you think using flashbacks is an effective technique to tell about Ava? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Chose one scene in the book that is a flashback and rewrite it as a dialogue between Ava and another person to convey the same information. Which method did you like better?
3. Write a brief summary of what you learned about Ava via the flashbacks. Include not just facts but her emotions and thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Cleage makes the case for an alternate view on the stereotypes assigned to black people by introducing people like Joyce, Ava and Eddie, whose goodness may be challenged at times but is always at the core of what they do.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. What do you think people can do to not judge others by stereotypes? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. How do you think stereotypes get started and how can they be stopped? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Clearly, the adversity faced by Eddie and Ava has provided each of them with not only a tolerance for situations that are far from perfect, but also respect for the core of the other person.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Eddie had had no problems in his life he would have accepted Ava as well? Why or why not.
3. Do you think adversity is necessary in order to make a person tolerance? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,157 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)