|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the basic goal of the Sewing Circus?
2. What time does Ava wake up the morning after she had sex with Eddie?
3. Where does Ava go when she wakes up?
4. What did one of the boys throw through the window?
5. What do Ava and Joyce hear while watching Mattie's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ava's self esteem is returning full force as her relationship with Eddie grows, and the sense of guilt and remorse she had suffered for so long is washing away.
1. Why do you think Ava's self esteem could be affected by her relationship with Eddie? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Ava has so much guilt and remorse in her life right now? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How would you feel in Ava's position, both before and after her relationship with Eddie started?
Essay Topic 2
Eddie succumbed to the lowest depths of the drug and street lifestyle and ended up committing murder, for which he paid with ten years of his life. Fortunately, Eddie had found redemption after adversity, though there is also a sense that Eddie still walks a fine line to maintain his forward focus.
1. What do you think is meant by redemption after adversity? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Eddie still walks a fine line to maintain his forward focus? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Why do you think people like Eddie decide to change and are able to do so? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Time makes way for the next generation, as evidenced by Johnny Mack's move to the nursing home and the preparation for the Sewing Circus to move into his house.
1. Do you think this older people having to go to nursing homes says anything about how this society views the old? Why or why not?
2. What do you think might be a better alternative than nursing homes for older people?
3. If you had to see one of your parents live in a nursing home how would you feel?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)