|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joyce decide to visit the state capitol?
2. Why does Imani's mother want her child back?
3. What does Joyce do about the boys when she comes home?
4. Who does Joyce see as a beacon of hope for the Sewing Circus?
5. Why did Ava feel so good about being with Eddie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of rising above adversity continues to thread throughout the book, and the author reveals some of the mechanisms that people use to accomplish that feat.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. What do you think are some of the mechanisms people use to cope with adversity? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Time has also taken its toll on the lives of those closest to Ava, and we learn of the difficulties suffered by Joyce, Joyce and Ava's mother, Eddie and even Ava herself. Their stories are different, but the theme of success in spite of adversity is starting to emerge through the glimpses of character that the author reveals in these early chapters.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think adversity can make a person try harder to be successful? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Ava, Joyce and Eddie's lives are any more difficult than most people's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Clearly, the adversity faced by Eddie and Ava has provided each of them with not only a tolerance for situations that are far from perfect, but also respect for the core of the other person.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Eddie had had no problems in his life he would have accepted Ava as well? Why or why not.
3. Do you think adversity is necessary in order to make a person tolerance? Why or why not?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)