|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie want Joyce to do?
2. What is one of the things that bothers Ava about marriage and being HIV positive?
3. Why does Ava feel satisfied about her interaction with Aretha?
4. What kind of information does Ava receive about the Andersons?
5. What do they find has happened to Imani?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of rising above adversity continues to thread throughout the book, and the author reveals some of the mechanisms that people use to accomplish that feat.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. What do you think are some of the mechanisms people use to cope with adversity? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Time makes way for the next generation, as evidenced by Johnny Mack's move to the nursing home and the preparation for the Sewing Circus to move into his house.
1. Do you think this older people having to go to nursing homes says anything about how this society views the old? Why or why not?
2. What do you think might be a better alternative than nursing homes for older people?
3. If you had to see one of your parents live in a nursing home how would you feel?
Essay Topic 3
Gerry Anderson has told Mattie that taking back the child will also guarantee the young girl the monthly income provided by the foster care system.
1. Do you think mothers who cannot support their children should be supported by the government? Why or why not?
2. If you were a judge who had to decide where Imani should live what would you decide? Why?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)