|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did black people first start coming to Idlewild?
2. What does Ava do with her information about the Reverend?
3. Of what do Eddie and Ava finally convince Joyce?
4. Why does Ava feel satisfied about her interaction with Aretha?
5. What do Ava and Eddie think Frank represents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clearly, the adversity faced by Eddie and Ava has provided each of them with not only a tolerance for situations that are far from perfect, but also respect for the core of the other person.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Eddie had had no problems in his life he would have accepted Ava as well? Why or why not.
3. Do you think adversity is necessary in order to make a person tolerance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Time makes way for the next generation, as evidenced by Johnny Mack's move to the nursing home and the preparation for the Sewing Circus to move into his house.
1. Do you think this older people having to go to nursing homes says anything about how this society views the old? Why or why not?
2. What do you think might be a better alternative than nursing homes for older people?
3. If you had to see one of your parents live in a nursing home how would you feel?
Essay Topic 3
Joyce asks for the opportunity to address the boys herself. Joyce symbolizes the compassion and understanding that is so lacking in the lives of these kids, whose futures seem dim if they don't receive some sort of positive intervention.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think compassion is more powerful than punishment in changing a person? Why or why not?
3. If your house was vandalized by kids what would you want to do about it?
This section contains 2,172 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)