|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the meeting, what does Gerry Anderson accuse Ava of doing?
2. What does Eddie say to Ava as they're walking?
3. Why did black people first start coming to Idlewild?
4. Who does Joyce see as a beacon of hope for the Sewing Circus?
5. Why does Imani's mother want her child back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since their mother's death, Joyce and Ava refer to suicide as a "tumble" because that's how a pamphlet on grief had described it, making the point that anytime there is danger of a person going over an emotional edge, any source of comfort is justified.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. The word "tumble" here implies something that happens quickly. Do you think a person falls into despair or depression quickly? Why or why not?
3. Ava and Joyce using the word tumble to describe their mother's emotions that led to suicide seems flippant. Do you agree? Why or why not? Why do you think they refer to the incident like this?
Essay Topic 2
Clearly, the adversity faced by Eddie and Ava has provided each of them with not only a tolerance for situations that are far from perfect, but also respect for the core of the other person.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Eddie had had no problems in his life he would have accepted Ava as well? Why or why not.
3. Do you think adversity is necessary in order to make a person tolerance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ava's self esteem is returning full force as her relationship with Eddie grows, and the sense of guilt and remorse she had suffered for so long is washing away.
1. Why do you think Ava's self esteem could be affected by her relationship with Eddie? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Ava has so much guilt and remorse in her life right now? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How would you feel in Ava's position, both before and after her relationship with Eddie started?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)