|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ava tell Joyce about to convince her to worry about the robberies?
2. Of what is Eddie pretty certain about the robberies?
3. What did the two boys in the car do?
4. What does the hospital say after they treat Imani?
5. What does Ava what to avoid the day she meets Eddie again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two themes present themselves in these chapters: adversity and ignorance.
1. Explain what you think this statement means. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think are the best ways to change people who are ignorant about social issues? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Reverend Anderson's behavior in kicking Joyce from the church room reflects a harmful or helpful attitude on the part of a minister? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gerry Anderson's returning the AIDS pamphlets symbolizes the ignorance and denial of many who would be in a position to help and possibly save lives.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think AIDS education should be taught to high school students? Why or why not?
3. What do you think is the best way for young people to learn about and avoid AIDS?
Essay Topic 3
Time makes way for the next generation, as evidenced by Johnny Mack's move to the nursing home and the preparation for the Sewing Circus to move into his house.
1. Do you think this older people having to go to nursing homes says anything about how this society views the old? Why or why not?
2. What do you think might be a better alternative than nursing homes for older people?
3. If you had to see one of your parents live in a nursing home how would you feel?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)