|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joyce do when Frank and Mattie won't let them in the house?
2. Why did Ava feel so good about being with Eddie?
3. What does Gerry do about the information?
4. Why did black people first start coming to Idlewild?
5. What does Ava tell Joyce about to convince her to worry about the robberies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two themes present themselves in these chapters: adversity and ignorance.
1. Explain what you think this statement means. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think are the best ways to change people who are ignorant about social issues? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Reverend Anderson's behavior in kicking Joyce from the church room reflects a harmful or helpful attitude on the part of a minister? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Clearly, the adversity faced by Eddie and Ava has provided each of them with not only a tolerance for situations that are far from perfect, but also respect for the core of the other person.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Eddie had had no problems in his life he would have accepted Ava as well? Why or why not.
3. Do you think adversity is necessary in order to make a person tolerance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gerry Anderson has told Mattie that taking back the child will also guarantee the young girl the monthly income provided by the foster care system.
1. Do you think mothers who cannot support their children should be supported by the government? Why or why not?
2. If you were a judge who had to decide where Imani should live what would you decide? Why?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)