|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie say to Ava as they're walking?
2. Why does Ava feel satisfied about her interaction with Aretha?
3. In what three areas does Joyce want to deal with in the Circus?
4. At the meeting, what does Gerry Anderson accuse Ava of doing?
5. How do Ava and Eddie feel when they see each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerry Anderson has told Mattie that taking back the child will also guarantee the young girl the monthly income provided by the foster care system.
1. Do you think mothers who cannot support their children should be supported by the government? Why or why not?
2. If you were a judge who had to decide where Imani should live what would you decide? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Gerry Anderson's returning the AIDS pamphlets symbolizes the ignorance and denial of many who would be in a position to help and possibly save lives.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think AIDS education should be taught to high school students? Why or why not?
3. What do you think is the best way for young people to learn about and avoid AIDS?
Essay Topic 3
Being diagnosed HIV positive has hastened Ava's enlightenment and sense of urgency to make the most of her life, and this comes through in the tone and style created by the author.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What would you do if you were in Ava's situation? Use examples from the book and your life to illustrate your answer.
3. Do you think a diagnosis like Ava's is the only way people can learn to live witha sense of urgency? Why or why not?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)