|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the mother do with the baby?
2. How is Joyce's house described?
3. How does Ava see the difference in the condition of homes in the area near the lake from the last time she was there?
4. What does Ava prefer over the teachings of the Baptist Church?
5. Who does Ava plan to see during her move?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Joyce regularly and what do they do?
2. What problem with the state does Joyce have and what does she decide to do about it?
3. What do Joyce and Ava mean by the word tumbling and how did it that meaning come about?
4. What do Joyce and Ava do the night Gerry brought the envelope to the house?
5. Where is the meeting about Joyce's house and what happens there?
6. How are the two sisters reacting to Imani's presence in the house?
7. What does Joyce do for work, with whom does she work, where do they meet, what are they called, and why?
8. Why has Mattie come to Joyce's house and what happens?
9. Why has Gerry Anderson come over to Joyce's and what is Ava's reaction?
10. What does Joyce decide to do about the damage to her window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The minister's wife symbolizes a large part of the nation's population, including a few religious fundamentalists, who think that people bring AIDS on themselves and probably deserve it as payment for immoral behavior.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If one said that anyone with AIDS deserve it would you think that would mean that people with colon cancer deserved it because they didn't eat enough fiber, or people with liver cancer deserved it from drinking, or people with diabetes deserved it from eating too many sweets, etc.? Explain your reasoning and use examples from the book to support your thinking.
Essay Topic 2
Ava's self esteem is returning full force as her relationship with Eddie grows, and the sense of guilt and remorse she had suffered for so long is washing away.
1. Why do you think Ava's self esteem could be affected by her relationship with Eddie? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Ava has so much guilt and remorse in her life right now? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How would you feel in Ava's position, both before and after her relationship with Eddie started?
Essay Topic 3
Since their mother's death, Joyce and Ava refer to suicide as a "tumble" because that's how a pamphlet on grief had described it, making the point that anytime there is danger of a person going over an emotional edge, any source of comfort is justified.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. The word "tumble" here implies something that happens quickly. Do you think a person falls into despair or depression quickly? Why or why not?
3. Ava and Joyce using the word tumble to describe their mother's emotions that led to suicide seems flippant. Do you agree? Why or why not? Why do you think they refer to the incident like this?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)