|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ava see the difference in the condition of homes in the area near the lake from the last time she was there?
2. How does Joyce feel towards Imani?
3. What kind of encounter does Ava have with two young men after she got her medicine?
4. How does Ava feel about the new preacher at Joyce's church?
5. What was the baby tested for and found negative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Reverend Anderson sent Joyce and why?
2. What does Eddie do about Frank and Mattie?
3. Where is the meeting about Joyce's house and what happens there?
4. How are the two sisters reacting to Imani's presence in the house?
5. How does Joyce demonstrate condoms and what happens while she's doing it?
6. What does Joyce say about the content of the envelope?
7. What is different about Ava's morning the night after she had sex with Eddie?
8. What is the news about the baby Joyce helped with the night Ava arrived and what happened to her?
9. How did Joyce's decision to host the Sewing Circus turn out?
10. How is Ava's summer in Idlewild going?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ava's self esteem is returning full force as her relationship with Eddie grows, and the sense of guilt and remorse she had suffered for so long is washing away.
1. Why do you think Ava's self esteem could be affected by her relationship with Eddie? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Ava has so much guilt and remorse in her life right now? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How would you feel in Ava's position, both before and after her relationship with Eddie started?
Essay Topic 2
Clearly, the adversity faced by Eddie and Ava has provided each of them with not only a tolerance for situations that are far from perfect, but also respect for the core of the other person.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Eddie had had no problems in his life he would have accepted Ava as well? Why or why not.
3. Do you think adversity is necessary in order to make a person tolerance? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The summer has reached its climax for the main characters. The author has positioned each of the characters in the way of tremendous conflict so that each may know what matters most to them, and what they are prepared to do when threat emerges.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. What do you think Joyce should do about Imani? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Ava would run when Eddie asks her to marry? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)