|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eddie feel while watching the movie?
2. What does Ava prefer over the teachings of the Baptist Church?
3. How does it work out for the Sewing Circle to meet at Joyce's house?
4. How does Ava feel towards Imani?
5. What does Eddie do while they talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joyce demonstrate condoms and what happens while she's doing it?
2. What does Ava see when a car pulls into the driveway while Joyce is out of town?
3. What does Ava think and what does she see when they drop off the young girl and baby?
4. What does Ava want to tell Eddie and why?
5. How is Ava's summer in Idlewild going?
6. Who is Aretha and what are are hopes for her future?
7. What does Ava do when she gets up and who does she encounter? How does she feel?
8. What has Reverend Anderson sent Joyce and why?
9. What do Joyce and Ava do the night Gerry brought the envelope to the house?
10. Why has Gerry Anderson come over to Joyce's and what is Ava's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Time has also taken its toll on the lives of those closest to Ava, and we learn of the difficulties suffered by Joyce, Joyce and Ava's mother, Eddie and even Ava herself. Their stories are different, but the theme of success in spite of adversity is starting to emerge through the glimpses of character that the author reveals in these early chapters.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think adversity can make a person try harder to be successful? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Ava, Joyce and Eddie's lives are any more difficult than most people's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ava's self esteem is returning full force as her relationship with Eddie grows, and the sense of guilt and remorse she had suffered for so long is washing away.
1. Why do you think Ava's self esteem could be affected by her relationship with Eddie? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Ava has so much guilt and remorse in her life right now? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How would you feel in Ava's position, both before and after her relationship with Eddie started?
Essay Topic 3
Ava is re-learning love in her attachment to Imani and finds herself capable of more than she had ever dreamed possible.
1. What do you think this statement means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think an adult can learn anything from a baby? Why or why not?
3. Do you think someone can "forget" love and have to "re-learn" it? Why or why not?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)