|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Joyce fearful about Imani?
2. Why does Ava decide to move?
3. Why does Imani whimper?
4. In what season has Ava arrived in Idlewild?
5. What does Joyce encourage Ava to do about Eddie and him going to jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the success of the Sewing Circus move Joyce to do?
2. Why does Ava get angry at the pharmacist when she went to get her prescription?
3. What does Ava do with Aretha and how does Ava feel about it?
4. Why is Ava happy her sister Joyce sounds optimistic?
5. What does Ava think and what does she see when they drop off the young girl and baby?
6. What does Ava see and do at Eddie's house?
7. What does Ava want to tell Eddie and why?
8. How does Joyce feel about Reverend Anderson's stand and what does she intend?
9. What kind of romance issue has come up for Ava in July?
10. What does Joyce decide to do about the damage to her window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ava is re-learning love in her attachment to Imani and finds herself capable of more than she had ever dreamed possible.
1. What do you think this statement means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think an adult can learn anything from a baby? Why or why not?
3. Do you think someone can "forget" love and have to "re-learn" it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gerry Anderson has told Mattie that taking back the child will also guarantee the young girl the monthly income provided by the foster care system.
1. Do you think mothers who cannot support their children should be supported by the government? Why or why not?
2. If you were a judge who had to decide where Imani should live what would you decide? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The self-righteous behavior of Gerry Anderson, although not appropriate, has new light shed on it when it becomes clear that she must be constantly protecting her drunken husband.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Gerry Anderson would be a different person if her husband was different? Why or why not?
3. How do you think people's home life are reflected in the face they show the world? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)