|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Joyce on the eve of her wedding?
(a) her groom died
(b) her sister left the state
(c) her mother committed suicide
(d) her father disappeared
2. Why did Ava ask Joyce about Eddie's jail time?
(a) she wanted to know how long
(b) she wanted to know why
(c) she wanted to know where
(d) she asked how many times he'd been to jail
3. How does Ava feel about what she sees and hears the first Sunday at Joyce's church?
4. How has Ava's romantic life been up to the point of the beginning of the book?
(b) not satisfying
(c) she had no love life
5. Where has Joyce decided the Sewing Circus will meet?
(a) at the recreation center
(b) at the YMCA
(c) she doesn't know where
(d) at the high school
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the minister's wife prohibit Joyce from doing?
2. Why does Ava decide to move?
3. What does Ava prefer over the teachings of the Baptist Church?
4. What does Ava promise Aretha if she goes to Interlochen?
5. With whom does Joyce work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eddie do about Frank and Mattie?
2. Where does Ava live at the beginning of the book and what kind of benefits does that place offer?
3. What does Ava see and do at Eddie's house?
4. What does Ava do with Aretha and how does Ava feel about it?
5. Why has Mattie come to Joyce's house and what happens?
6. What do Eddie and Ava want Joyce to do and how do they try to convince her?
7. What does Joyce say about the content of the envelope?
8. What does Eddie ask Ava and how does she respond?
9. What is the news about the baby Joyce helped with the night Ava arrived and what happened to her?
10. How does the new minister seem to be working out?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)