|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Aretha want to go to school?
2. What did the area of Idlewild on the lake used to be when Ava was young?
(a) recreational haven for black people
(b) a public beach area
(c) a state park
(d) all white neighborhood
3. Why does Eddie meet Ava at the airport?
(a) Joyce is sick
(b) Joyce is helping a woman in labor
(c) Joyce wants Ava to date Eddie
(d) Joyce is at work
4. Why is Ava concerned about her health?
(a) She has migraine headaches
(b) She has asthma
(c) She is HIV positive
(d) She is in a wheelchair
5. Who doesn't approve of Joyce's group?
(b) her grandmother
(c) Gerry Anderson
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Joyce work?
2. What does Ava feel is one of Gerry's major character flaws?
3. What color are all the rooms in Joyce's house painted?
4. What does Ava do when she sees Eddie?
5. What does the baby's name mean in Swahili?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ava do with Aretha and how does Ava feel about it?
2. What does Eddie ask Ava and how does she respond?
3. What does Ava tell Joyce when she returns from Eddie's after the Sewing Circus?
4. What kind of people did Ava hang with and what was Ava's main problem with that social circle?
5. Describe Ava Johnson and her devastating problem.
6. Why has Gerry Anderson come over to Joyce's and what is Ava's reaction?
7. What does Ava see at Joyce's house and how does she feel?
8. What is the news about the baby Joyce helped with the night Ava arrived and what happened to her?
9. Where does Ava meet up with Eddie again and why has she not seen him?
10. Who visits Joyce regularly and what do they do?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)