|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Willie go back for Kam when the school is on fire?
2. Where do the boys at OMLC High School get the tuxedos for their graduation ceremony?
3. Why does Andre refuse to let Willie leave the basketball court?
4. What is Lacey's primary occupation?
5. What is Willie's agreement with Andre regarding P.E. class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mrs. Weaver's and Big Will's means of dealing with tragedy. Which seems to be more successful in overcoming adversity? Why is this?
Essay Topic 2
One theme of the novel is that growth and maturity are not always a reflection of chronological age. Some characters face their challenges responsibly, and others avoid responsibility altogether. Which characters in the novel reveal themselves to be mature adults in the end, and which characters continue to behave like children? Explain and support with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the death of Willie's sister affect each of the members of the Weaver family? How do they each deal with the tragedy, and how does it affect their relationship with one another?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)