|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sal Whitworth try to distract Willie while he is pitching?
(a) Sal steps out of the batter's box when Willie is ready to throw a pitch.
(b) Sal points his bat at Willie and promises to hit him with a line drive.
(c) Sal blows huge bubbles and pops his gum loudly.
(d) Sal yells threats to Willie about how far the next pitch will fly.
2. How old is Willie Weaver at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Sixteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Seventeen and a half years old.
(d) Twelve years old.
3. Why is Willie wearing a sweatshirt with the word LURCH printed on the front?
(a) He is a fan of "The Addams Family."
(b) It is Willie's way of attacking his problem with humor, as Cyril suggested.
(c) It is another example of Willie's self-pity at work.
(d) It was a gift from his baseball friends.
4. What does Willie leave behind in the snow when he leaves school?
(a) His cane.
(b) His books.
(c) His tape recorder.
(d) A towel from the locker room.
5. Why does Jenny yell and Big Will to "stop it"?
(a) He is banging his head against the side of the boat.
(b) He is sobbing uncontrollably.
(c) He is trying to grab for Willie while she is performing CPR.
(d) She wants him to catch the boat, which is slowly idling away from them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Johnny react when he discovers that Marty has given drugs to Willie?
2. What does Johnny Rivers do in the bottom of the fifth inning in order to highlight the strength of Willie's pitching?
3. According to Willie's dad, how does a pitcher show respect to a powerful hitter?
4. Why does Willie feel sad when he is sitting with Jenny at the party?
5. Why does Willie feel safe on the motorcycle with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the topic of the argument that Willie overhears between his parents?
2. How does Cyril Wheat make Willie feel comfortable enough to start talking?
3. What details about the beginning of the novel establish the rest of the story as a flashback?
4. Why does Willie write the four postcards that he asks the boy at the station to send for him?
5. Why is Willie disappointed when he realizes that Angel works for Lacey?
6. Why does Willie think facing Kam would be easier than writing to his parents?
7. What details make Willie's final play of the Crazy Horse Electric game legendary?
8. How does Sal Whitworth's comment about "I'm catching on..." affect Willie?
9. Why does Coach Ivy suggest that Johnny's mouth is "worth a run a game"?
10. How does Big Will actually harm Willie in trying to help him?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)