|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Willie on his way to see Coach Williams when he runs into Jenny and Jeff Rhodes?
(a) He left his jacket on the bench after the last game.
(b) Coach Williams has asked to see him.
(c) He wants to see if he can get some private basketball lessons.
(d) He has decided to quit being the manager for the girls' basketball team.
2. How much does Willie pay the boy for mailing the postcards?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) Six dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
3. Why does Willie have trouble on the racquetball court?
(a) He feels like too many people are watching him.
(b) His father keeps hitting the ball too far away from him.
(c) He cannot see the ball as it comes toward him.
(d) He cannot control his body or his reaction time.
4. How does Johnny Rivers convince the English teacher to let him tell his joke?
(a) He tells her that it is really funny.
(b) The class is talking about verbal irony, so Johnny's story fits right in.
(c) He tells her that he has been thinking of writing a book and wants help with his idea.
(d) He does not ask; he just begins to tell the story.
5. What does Willie do to try to help himself get to sleep?
(a) He counts sheep in his bed.
(b) He goes for a short run around the block.
(c) He plans to take a warm bath.
(d) He plans to try drinking some warm milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Wilie's final pitch in the Crazy Horse Electric game?
2. How does Big Will react when he regains control of himself and realizes that he has pushed Willie too far?
3. What position does Johnny Rivers play?
4. Why does Willie feel sad when he is sitting with Jenny at the party?
5. Why does Willie agree to try racquetball even though he feels like he might be setting himself up for another failure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is special about the basketball game that Willie plays with Hawk and Kato?
2. Why does Big Will suggest to Willie that he savor every moment leading up to the Crazy Horse Electric game?
3. How does Kato provide a connection for Willie between Oakland and his home?
4. How does Sal Whitworth's comment about "I'm catching on..." affect Willie?
5. Why does Willie agree to play basketball with Jack?
6. What advice does Cyril Wheat give to Willie about how to deal with his friends?
7. What steps does Willie take to make sure that no one will be able to find him?
8. Why does Willie have such a difficult time cheering for Jenny in the basketball game or celebrating with her afterward?
9. How has Willie changed over the past year?
10. Why does Willie run in the dark?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)