|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Willie disappointed when Lacey brings Angel home with him?
(a) Willie was looking forward to hanging out with Lacey.
(b) Willie has noticed her at school and is sad when he realizes she is a prostitute.
(c) Willie does not trust Angel and is upset that Lacey would interact with her.
(d) Willie has only made enough dinner for two.
2. What is the gang leader doing when Willie approaches?
(a) He is leaning against the bus stop pole watching Willie approach.
(b) He is cleaning his fingernails with a switchblade knife.
(c) He is spinning and kicking as he stands on the back of a concrete bench.
(d) He is shooting pennies against the curb.
3. When does Andre begin rebuilding the school?
(a) Two days after the fire.
(b) Two weeks after the fire.
(c) Five thirty in the morning on the day after the fire.
(d) Three weeks after the fire.
4. What is Willie's agreement with Andre regarding P.E. class?
(a) Willie will take P.E. class as an independent study.
(b) Willie will be excused from P.E. class for the rest of the school year.
(c) Willie must attend P.E. class, but he does not have to participate.
(d) Willie can stay out of P.E. for three weeks or until he is ready, whichever comes first.
5. Who knocks on the door to the downstairs room when Willie is waiting for Hawk and Kato?
6. What does OMLC stand for?
(a) They are the initials of the sponsors who provided the money to open the school.
(b) Oakland Metropolitan Learning Center.
(c) Only Mean Losers Cave.
(d) One More Last Chance.
7. What inspires Lacey to reveal the secret about his son to Willie?
(a) He comes home drunk and sees that his ex-wife has called again.
(b) Willie threatens to leave, so Lacey tries to explain why he wants Willie to stay.
(c) Willie finally asks Lacey about his ex-wife's angry phone calls.
(d) He comes home to find Willie in tears and wants to comfort him.
8. What is the cause of Lacey's son's brain damage?
(a) He was stuck in the birth canal too long during labor.
(b) He lost oxygen when he was a baby because Lacey left him locked in a hot car.
(c) He was hurt in an accident when Lacey was driving drunk and crashed the car.
(d) Lacey beat him nearly to death.
9. According to Angel, how do girls learn to be prostitutes?
(a) They become prostitutes when they realize they have no other options.
(b) They grow up without anyone to care about them.
(c) They feel like they have no other skills.
(d) They grow up thinking that sex is the only way they can get anything.
10. Where does Willie stay his first night in Oakland?
(a) On the bus driver's couch.
(b) Under an overpass.
(c) In a homeless shelter.
(d) In the police station.
11. What is Jack's best memory of attending OMLC High School?
(a) When Willie helped with an embarrassing problem in the bathroom.
(b) When Hawk jumped to his rescue and beat up Kam.
(c) Helping to paint the school.
(d) When he beat Willie in a one-on-one game of basketball.
12. Who keeps calling Lacey's house and getting him upset?
(a) His accountant.
(b) His ex-wife.
(c) A mafia boss.
(d) The police.
13. What is Willie's first impression of Andre Porter?
(a) He thinks that he is educated and athletic looking.
(b) He thinks that he is a disorganized slob.
(c) He thinks that he is self-centered and cocky.
(d) He thinks that he seems weak and insecure.
14. Why do the Jo Boys attack Willie?
(a) Willie tries to hide some of his money when they rob him.
(b) They think that Willie has called the police.
(c) They enjoy hurting other people, especially those who are weak.
(d) He looks like someone who owes them money.
15. Why does Sammy not put Willie into a Tai Chi class?
(a) He is afraid that Willie would be embarrassed in front of others.
(b) He does not think that Tai Chi will help Wille.
(c) He does not want to be limited in the disciplines that they use.
(d) The classes cost money, and he is helping Willie as a favor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lisa asks Willie to find his center, where is it?
2. Why does Willie agree to play basketball with Jack?
3. Why does Willie wait in the bathroom for a while after his shower?
4. Why does Lacey call Willie by the name "Chief"?
5. According to Willie, how has his loss affected his perspective on life?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)