|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Johnny laugh when Willie threatens to give him a nosebleed?
(a) Johnny has been slapped around by Sal Whitworth, so he is not scared of a nosebleed.
(b) He is pleased that he has upset Willie.
(c) He does not belive that Willie is fast enough to catch him.
(d) He thinks that the thought of Willie hitting someone is funny.
2. Why does Big Will throw his racket and break it?
(a) He is frustrated because he feels like Willie is not putting forth any effort.
(b) He is angry with himself for pushing Willie too hard.
(c) He hits a bad shot and is frustrated with himself.
(d) He overhears someone make a negative comment about Willie.
3. Why is Willie so devastated by his parents' fight?
(a) He is hurt by the things that they have said about him.
(b) He realizes now that his mother was responsible for his sister's death.
(c) His parents often fight, but never about him.
(d) He has never heard his parents fight, especially this fiercely.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 6, how much time has passed since Willie's accident?
(a) Four months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Eight weeks.
5. Why does Petey Shropshire stay close to the adults in the school?
(a) He struggles in school and needs extra help from all of his teachers.
(b) He does not get along with others his own age and prefers the company of adults.
(c) He is a victim of bullies and stays close to adults for protection.
(d) He has found that if he helps the teachers out, they give him better grades.
6. What does Cyril Wheat's T-shirt say?
(a) I'm With Stupid.
(b) You Look As If You Think I Care.
(c) If You Can Read This, Turn Me Over.
(d) Gay Vegetarian Nazis for Jesus.
7. According to Willie's dad, how does a pitcher show respect to a powerful hitter?
(a) By always giving the powerful batters his best stuff.
(b) By pushing the powerful batters back off the plate with tough pitches.
(c) By walking the powerful batters in order to pitch to a weaker batter.
(d) By waiting to pitch until the batter is fully prepared.
8. When was Willie's first motorcycle ride with his father?
(a) When Willie was just a baby.
(b) After Willie's first baseball game.
(c) This is his first ride with his father.
(d) Just after the death of Willie's sister.
9. From which city does Willie ask the boy to mail his postcards?
10. What does Willie take with him when he leaves school?
(a) His cane.
(b) His tape recorder.
(c) His books.
(d) A towel from the locker room.
11. How does Jenny make amends for upsetting her aunt?
(a) She peels fifty potatoes for the church picnic.
(b) She scrubs the kitchen and bathroom floors.
(c) She pulls weeds in her aunt's garden.
(d) She and her family go to church on a Thursday night in order to "get the devil out" of her.
12. What promise does Cyril make to Willie at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) That Willie's bad dreams would evetually stop.
(b) That they would keep meeting until Willie has everything worked out.
(c) That he would not let the school put Willie in Special Ed.
(d) That he would not tell anyone about their conversation.
13. Why does Willie have trouble asking Jenny to be his girlfriend?
(a) Willie is worried about ruining his long friendship with Jenny.
(b) Willie is nervous around Jenny and does not know how to talk to her.
(c) Willie's friends are always around, so he cannot speak to her in private.
(d) Willie is not sure if he would really like to date her.
14. Why is Willie wearing a sweatshirt with the word LURCH printed on the front?
(a) It was a gift from his baseball friends.
(b) It is another example of Willie's self-pity at work.
(c) He is a fan of "The Addams Family."
(d) It is Willie's way of attacking his problem with humor, as Cyril suggested.
15. Ever since his accident, how does Willie feel when people smile at him?
(a) It makes him sad, but he tries to hold back the tears.
(b) It makes him laugh since he knows they are only smiling because they are uncomfortable.
(c) He appreciates their efforts to comfort and understand him.
(d) It makes him angry because he feels like they are showing him pity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Willie hide out before he finds the courage to leave his house?
2. What does Willie leave behind in the snow when he leaves school?
3. What is Willie's first mistake of the Crazy Horse Electric game?
4. What position does Johnny Rivers play?
5. What caused the death of Willie's sister?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)