Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1
1. What details about the beginning of the novel establish the rest of the story as a flashback?
2. Why do Willie, Petey, and Jenny go to see Mr. Samson?
3. How has Willie changed over the past year?
4. Why do the other boys on the baseball team go after Johnny Rivers and hose him down?
Short Essay Question - Chapter 2
5. What evidence at the beginning of Chapter 2 suggests that Willie and his father, Big Will, enjoy taking risks?
This section contains 924 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)