|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes first in Julio's priorities?
2. What does Julio think this might be his last evening to do?
3. What do Hector and Mando position at the stairwell?
4. What does Huey tell Freddie about hurting the boys?
5. Who telephones at the apartment during the chaos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vicky represent in the story?
2. Describe what the boys do when they walk around the mall for awhile after dinner.
3. How does the author use dialogue between Freddie and Uncle Julio and the boys to point out the error of stealing?
4. What is Freddie and Huey's plan in Chapter 14?
5. What reward will Julio and the boys get for catching the robbers and how do they plan to spend it?
6. What qualities and experiences do Hector and Mando have that allow them to survive the encounter with the robbers?
7. Why is Uncle Julio afraid when he hears Freddie's voice on the answering machine?
8. How does Hector react when he hears Freddie's creepy voice on the answering machine?
9. Where do Hector and Mando see Freddie and Huey and how can they identify them?
10. How does Uncle Julio take control of the situation when he arrives home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mando. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the characters' lives. Where will they be living? Will Julio be married to Vicky? What other changes do your foresee? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Uncle Julio. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)