|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car do Freddie and Huey steal for their third vehicle?
2. The car radio plays a song about a dog who jumps out of a car and walks from Sacramento back to his home in ________.
3. Where do Hector and Mando recall seeing Freddie and Huey when they encounter them in Dr. Femur's office?
4. Freddie says he and Huey will ________________________.
5. What does Hector break in Julio's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities and experiences do Hector and Mando have that allow them to survive the encounter with the robbers?
2. Why is Uncle Julio afraid when he hears Freddie's voice on the answering machine?
3. Where do Hector and Mando see Freddie and Huey and how can they identify them?
4. What does Dr. Femur represent in the story and what is the author saying about his work on the robbers and then the minimal work on the boys?
5. How does Hector react when he hears Freddie's creepy voice on the answering machine?
6. Why does Vicky apologize to the boys again and what do she and the boys do at the apartment that takes all night?
7. Why has the author inserted the phone messages from a crazy girlfriend of Julio's former roommate, Rick?
8. Describe what the boys do when they walk around the mall for awhile after dinner.
9. Where does the group have dinner and why are the boys told to order light?
10. What does Hector recall about the last time he was in this much trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of responsibility. Identify at least two instances about responsibility in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What does the author say about Japanese-American culture in the book? What qualities do Mr. Inouye and Mr. Kanzaki exhibit that are typical of Japanese people? Does the author do a good job of presenting the Japanese-Americans in a positive light?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)