|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when the police arrive at Julio's apartment?
2. Hector says there are laws against _______________.
3. Why are Hector and Mando in big trouble if the robbers come after them?
4. What comes first in Julio's priorities?
5. Who comes to Julio's apartment after the police leave with the robbers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Freddie and Huey in conflict about what to do to the boys?
2. Why has the author inserted the phone messages from a crazy girlfriend of Julio's former roommate, Rick?
3. How does Uncle Julio take control of the situation when he arrives home?
4. Who is Dr. Femur and how do Hector and Mando meet him?
5. Where do Hector and Mando see Freddie and Huey and how can they identify them?
6. Why does Julio prevent Hector from calling the police after the boys have seen the robbers in Dr. Femur's office?
7. What does Hector recall about the last time he was in this much trouble?
8. What favor does Dr. Femur ask of Hector and Mando?
9. Why is Uncle Julio afraid when he hears Freddie's voice on the answering machine?
10. What qualities and experiences do Hector and Mando have that allow them to survive the encounter with the robbers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mr. Inouye. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Mr. Inouye's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Gary Soto's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
What does the author say about Latino culture in the book? Describe the typical stereotypes and cultural elements and then speak more directly to Hector and Mando's lives in East Los Angeles.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)