|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God command us to do in life?
2. What personality traits does Chan say humans have that makes them expect explanations from God?
3. What song does Chan use as an example of how we know God loves us in this chapter?
4. What changed Chan's relationship with God?
5. What is the only thing that Chan argues will ultimately matter in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chan believe God created such diversity in the world?
2. What does Chan say about the financial situation of many people in America?
3. What surprises some Christians, according to Chapter 1?
4. Why does Chan say he felt all right about giving God leftovers for several years?
5. Describe the type of love that lukewarm Christians have for others.
6. What are the five characteristics of God that Chan lists in chapter one?
7. In what circumstances can our lives be taken away from us?
8. How does Chan indicate that followers of God will know if they are truly dedicated to God?
9. Why does Chan suggest that Jesus taught his followers in parables?
10. Why does Chan question if many American churchgoers are really in love with God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his novel, Chan says that the biggest mistake a person can make in life is not being good at and spending time doing the things that matter the most. What types of things was Chan referring to? Do you agree with his opinion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Consider Chan's instructions in his first chapter for his reader to stop praying. What were your thoughts about this statement when you first read it? What do you think about it now that you have finished the book? Do you understand more completely why he made this suggestion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important for Christians to be conscious of heaven as they go about their lives? What impact might this have on their service to God?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)