|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Stan just finished doing when he dies?
2. What type of people are lukewarm Christians most like?
3. What does Chan believe is causing his heart palpitations?
4. Why doesn't Chan see a doctor?
5. What personality traits does Chan say humans have that makes them expect explanations from God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chan say that it means to be holy?
2. Do even good Christians show characteristics of lukewarm Christians?
3. What are the five characteristics of God that Chan lists in chapter one?
4. In what circumstances can our lives be taken away from us?
5. Why does Chan include the example of Stan and Brooke in this chapter?
6. Why does Chan say he felt all right about giving God leftovers for several years?
7. How does Chan learn that he does not have to fear failing God?
8. Why does Chan reason that God threatens his children with death and hell for not loving Him if He loves us?
9. For what reason does Chan believe that giving half-hearted praise to God is evil?
10. What surprises some Christians, according to Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using one Biblical character from the faith hall of fame in Hebrews, research this character's life as recorded in the Bible. In what ways were they like the average person? What makes them stand out from other Christians?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characteristics of a lukewarm Christian.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Chan's use of the example of the "movie of life" in his book. What impact is he hoping to make on the reader by his reference to this movie? Does his use of this imagery work?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)