|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the avenue that Ballard and Vaughan drive along with the two airport prostitutes?
2. Besides reefer stubs, what else is in the overloaded ashtray in Vaughan's car?
3. What fiberglass replica does Seagrave have in his show-room?
4. Whose death does Ballard begin to think about in a "more calculated way" than the one Vaughan designed for a famous film actress?
5. Ballard notes that most of the celebrities listed for imaginary crashes in Vaughan's questionnaire are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of pictures does Ballard find in the questionnaire and what do they signify?
2. How does Vaughan pose the prostitutes for his photographs and why?
3. How do the prostitutes Vaughan picks up begin to change in appearance and why is it significant?
4. What is the purpose of Vaughan's questionnaire?
5. How does Vaughan begin to change as the novel progresses?
6. What does Ballard think of when he introduces Catherine to Vaughan and why is it relevant?
7. Why is Ballard attracted to Gabrielle?
8. Why does J.G. Ballard portray Vaughan's self-stimulation in the vehicle where a dentist recently died?
9. At Seagrave's, what does Ballard deduce about Vaughan's photographs of Elizabeth Taylor and provides insight into why Vaughan followed Ballard?
10. How does Gabrielle respond to Ballard's staring at the scars on her legs and how does Ballard interpret her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of women in "Crash." Provide specific examples to support your statements.
1) How would you characterize Ballard's relationship with the women in his life?
2) What roles do the women embrace and what roles do they reject and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ballard, the author, with his eponymous character.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the author and his creation?
2) Why did Ballard name his protagonist after himself?
Essay Topic 3
Ballard details the urban landscape throughout the novel, from the car impound to the airport flyover, the abandoned lot to the parking garage. Choose 2 urban landscapes and discuss their purpose in the novel. What do they represent for the characters? How do the characters respond to these landscapes?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)