|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ballard, what left an "archipelago of pockmarks" across Vaughan's neck?
2. What does Vaughan do as he drives past the crash at the junction of the eastern descent ramp of the flyover?
3. Why does Ballard adjust the rear view mirror as he drives with Vaughan and the two airport prostitutes?
4. After leaving the hospital, what does Vaughan show Ballard at Seagrave's house?
5. According to Ballard, "Above all, the apartment was dominated by Vaughan's evident _____."
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ballard and Vaughan do after they pick up two prostitutes and why is it relevant to the larger story?
2. When Ballard and Vaughan arrive at the accident site involving a minor accident, what do they discover?
3. What type of questions from Vaughan's questionnaire is Ballard specifically drawn to?
4. What is Ballard's response to Catherine sleeping with Vaughan?
5. Why doesn't Ballard intervene on Elizabeth Taylor's behalf when he knew what Vaughan was capable of attempting to hurt her?
6. Why does J.G. Ballard portray Vaughan's self-stimulation in the vehicle where a dentist recently died?
7. What does Ballard fantasize about as he has sex with Gabrielle and what does it mean?
8. At Seagrave's, what does Ballard deduce about Vaughan's photographs of Elizabeth Taylor and provides insight into why Vaughan followed Ballard?
9. Who are the spectators at the accident site involving the taxi and limo and what role does the scene have in the larger story?
10. Why is Seagrave's disappearance important to the plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the body as a major theme in the novel. Make sure you define theme in your discuss and use specific examples to address each of the following:
1) How does Ballard describe the human body in terms of its purpose and function?
2) Choose 3 characters and detail how their bodies are affected by violence?
3) Compare Ballard's description of the human body with the body of a car. What are their similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 2
Automobiles play a major role in the novel. Choose 2 characters and discuss their relationship to vehicles. What is their purpose in the novel and what are they a metaphor for? Make sure to define metaphor in your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How does J.G. Ballard use language in the novel? How would you characterize the tone and style of the language? Support your statements with examples from the book.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)