|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Road Research Laboratory, who does Helen stare at "almost as if they were patients whom she hoped to treat"?
(a) The visitors.
(b) The researchers.
(c) The stunt drivers.
(d) The mannequins.
2. Ballard states that Vaughan was only interesting to Ballard in relation to what?
(a) His car.
(b) His fame.
(c) His camera.
(d) His intellect.
3. What does Vaughan do as he drives past the crash at the junction of the eastern descent ramp of the flyover?
(a) Expose himself.
(b) Take pictures.
(c) Honk his horn.
4. Who are the five film actresses Seagrave devised an "abattoir of sexual mutiliation" for Vaughan's questionnaire?
(a) Garbo, Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Bardot, and Raquel Welch.
(b) Garbo, Jayne Mansfield, Elizabeth Taylor, Bardot, and Raquel Welch.
(c) Bette Davis, Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Bardot, and Raquel Welch.
(d) Bette Davis, Jayne Mansfield, Elizabeth Taylor, Bardot, and Raquel Welch.
5. What topic does Ballard realize he never discussed with Helen?
(a) The accident.
(b) His wife.
(c) Her dead husband.
(d) His work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ballard see on his balcony when he is caught in a traffic jam?
2. According to Ballard, "It isn't sex that Vaughan is interested in, but _______."
3. Ballard and Vaughan listen to police and _______ broadcasts as they search for Seagrave, who has gone missing.
4. Who does Ballard describe as the "perfect forgery of an Ingres"?
5. According to Ballard, each of Gabrielle's body was a "ripening anthology of ______possibilities."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ballard's response to Catherine sleeping with Vaughan?
2. What is Elizabeth Taylor shooting at the studio where Ballard works and how is it significant?
3. What does Ballard think of when he introduces Catherine to Vaughan and why is it relevant?
4. How does Ballard respond to Vaughan's request to give one of the questionnaires to Elizabeth Taylor and what does it show about his character?
5. What type of questions from Vaughan's questionnaire is Ballard specifically drawn to?
6. How does Vaughan begin to change as the novel progresses?
7. What does Ballard fantasize about as he has sex with Gabrielle and what does it mean?
8. How does Vaughan pose the prostitutes for his photographs and why?
9. What is the purpose of Vaughan's questionnaire?
10. Describe Catherine's fantasies about Vaughan, how they pertain to Ballard, and their impact on her and Ballard's marriage.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)