|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the parking lot outside the hospital, Ballard says that his hostility towards Vaughan gave way to what?
(a) Passion, even love.
(b) Admiration, even envy.
(c) Deference, even subservience.
(d) Fear, even panic.
2. According to the narrator, with whom did Vaughan want to die in a collision?
(a) James Ballard.
(b) Elizabeth Taylor.
(c) Dr. Helen Remington.
(d) Catherine Ballard.
3. The firemen who cut Ballard's door from its hinges looked like what according to Ballard?
(a) Accomplices in a jewelry heist.
(b) Athletes in a football game.
(c) Actors in a one-act play.
(d) Assistants of a gored bullfighter.
4. What does Ballard realize about his first meeting with Vaughan?
(a) That his motive for following him has something to do with revenge, but not blackmail.
(b) That his motive for following him has something to do with blackmail, but not revenge.
(c) That his motives for following him have nothing to do with revenge or blackmail.
(d) That his motives for following him have everything to do with revenge and blackmail.
5. According to Ballard, what do the scars above his patella replicate?
(a) The keys for the ignition and the dashboard compartment.
(b) The handles for the air and rearview mirror.
(c) The switches for the windshield wipers and parking lights.
(d) The knobs for the radio and emergency brakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of commercial did Ballard prepare that he hoped to use a well-known actress for?
2. When Ballard tells Catherine that she should have gone to the funeral for Helen's husband, how does she respond?
3. What is the name of the park where Ballard and Catherine's apartment is located?
4. According to Ballard, Vaughan's relations with women were all governed by what?
5. What verdict is given at the coroner's inquest of Ballard's crash with Helen and her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the airport in "Crash"?
2. How do Ballard, Helen, and Vaughan react to Seagrave's accident at the stock-car races and why is it significant?
3. What is the chronology of the novel and why is it significant?
4. Where does Ballard take Renata after his release from the hospital and why?
5. In the hospital, what does Ballard begin to do once he's mobile and how is it significant?
6. What are Ballard's injuries from his crash with the man and his wife and how does he respond to them?
7. What dominates Ballard's thoughts as he recovers in the hospital and why is it significant?
8. How is the man killed in the crash with Ballard symbolic?
9. What kind of pleasure did Vaughan derive from car crashes and how is it significant?
10. How does Ballard regard his accident and why is it significant?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)