|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Vaughan's scientific subject?
(a) Chemistry specialist in dark matter.
(b) Computer specialist in traffic systems.
(c) Physics specialist in atom collision.
(d) Biology specialist in human reproduction.
2. When Ballard tells Catherine that she should have gone to the funeral for Helen's husband, how does she respond?
(a) She tells him she's glad she didn't because she felt too guilty.
(b) She tells him she wished she had, but that she wasn't ready.
(c) She tells him she couldn't go because he killed him.
(d) She tells him he shouldn't expect her to do what he wants.
3. According to Ballard, his "_________obsessions soon made themselves evident to ______ _________."
(a) Tyrannical; Robert Vaughan.
(b) Messianic; Robert Vaughan.
(c) Messianic; Paul Waring.
(d) Tyrannical; Paul Waring.
4. According to Ballard at the end of Chapter 2, the radiator grills of their cars resembled what?
(a) A "protective grimace."
(b) A "positive force."
(c) A "perverse union."
(d) A "peaceful sleep."
5. Who does Ballard take to the stock-car races in the stadium at Northolt?
(b) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business has Catherine started up with one of her boyfriends?
2. According to Ballard, what happens on the fourth day in the hospital "for no evident reason"?
3. What is Ballard's "ironic gesture" to provoke Catherine and Renate, who don't want him to drive?
4. "Crash" is set in what city?
5. Where do the stunt drivers at the stock-car races in the stadium at Northolt work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the airport in "Crash"?
2. Why does Ballard begin renting cars and what do they signify?
3. How do Ballard, Helen, and Vaughan react to Seagrave's accident at the stock-car races and why is it significant?
4. Why does Ballard wear a seat belt when he crashes his car and how is it significant?
5. What is the chronology of the novel and why is it significant?
6. What is the point of view in "Crash"?
7. What are Ballard's injuries from his crash with the man and his wife and how does he respond to them?
8. How does Dr. Helen Remington react to Ballard when he tries to speak to her in the hospital corridor?
9. How does Dr. Robert Vaughan interrupt Ballard's rendezvous with the prostitute and why is it important?
10. In the hospital, what does Ballard begin to do once he's mobile and how is it significant?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)