|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the following are things a well-designed roof should provide, except:
2. Which word best describes how ants are viewed by the authors?
3. Which is a by-product of power plants that could be used in homes or businesses?
4. What happens to agriculture in the Americas?
5. What do materials become in upcycling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the authors find the cherry tree an inspiration for new industrial designs.
2. What are some advantages of designing homes with local materials?
3. Describe the ideal design for a roof.
4. Describe the furniture factory that the authors design for Herman Miller.
5. Describe how most roofing materials are poor designs.
6. Explain how ants are a model for positive design that contributes to the environment.
7. How does the cherry tree model for industrial design differ from the current model of industrial design?
8. Explain what the authors mean by a "throwaway society."
9. Describe how Egyptian civilization traditionally uses nutrient flows and explain how this has changed in recent times.
10. Which is more cost effective, large scale power or small scale power? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the design concepts behind "one size fits all" and designing for "local use." How does each concept use energy and resources? What are the costs and benefits to each concept? Give some examples of product designs for each design concept.
Essay Topic 2
Write a three-part essay to summarize the experience and early inspiration for each of the authors.
Part 1. Describe the childhood and education of each author.
Part 2. Explain the significant event in each author's early career that became his inspiration to create positive designs.
Part 3. Describe how the authors meet their goals in creating their new company.
Essay Topic 3
Write a three-part essay to explain how housing designs can be improved to be more eco-effective.
Part 1. Describe examples from around the world that show how homes can be cooled and insulated with little or no energy consumption.
Part 2. Describe the suggestions that the authors explain for insulation, heating, and cooling designs.
Part 3. Explain how roof tops can be improved to be better insulators and reduce energy needs in the home.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)