|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements best describes natural systems?
2. Which of the following is a true statement?
3. What is critically important to agriculture in Egypt?
4. Which word best describes how ants are viewed by the authors?
5. How can industry model nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Egyptian civilization traditionally uses nutrient flows and explain how this has changed in recent times.
2. Describe the ideal design for a roof.
3. What do the authors suggest we do so that our products resemble the diversity present in the natural world?
4. Explain the idea of "devolution."
5. Explain why contamination is so permanent on the planet.
6. Which is more cost effective, large scale power or small scale power? Explain.
7. How does the cherry tree model for industrial design differ from the current model of industrial design?
8. Describe what modern design and architecture does to the landscape.
9. Explain how ants are a model for positive design that contributes to the environment.
10. Describe how the design of detergents and soaps can be improved for consumer use, the environment, and business.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree or disagree with the authors' opinion on basing designs on nature and tailoring designs to specific locations? Why or why not? Do you think that industry, business, consumers, workers, and the environment will all benefit equally from designs based on nature? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to examine how common household objects can pose a threat to health and the environment. Cover the following three points in your essay.
1. Give examples of some common objects that can be harmful to human health and the environment.
2. Describe how chemicals can be released from objects as they are used or decompose in the environment.
3. Explain how materials can contain chemicals that are banned from use in the United States.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the ideas of "less-bad" design and "completely positive" design. How does each idea affect the environment, industry, and consumers? What is the philosophy behind each design idea? What is the goal of each idea? What materials should be involved in the designs for each idea?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)