|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Chinese traditionally maintain nutrients to their rice patties?
2. What happens to agriculture in the Americas?
3. Which of the following statements best describes the authors' point of view?
4. What material can be used to create a well-designed roof?
5. How does the cherry tree contribute positively to its environment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give two examples of local cooling power.
2. What is the problem with current product packaging?
3. Explain how ants are a model for positive design that contributes to the environment.
4. Explain what the authors mean by a "throwaway society."
5. Describe what modern design and architecture does to the landscape.
6. How are the materials used to make the book Cradle to Cradle different than a typical bookstore book?
7. Describe some good examples of useful packaging.
8. What do the authors suggest we do so that our products resemble the diversity present in the natural world?
9. Describe how our water supply is affected by the "throwaway" mentality.
10. Describe what the authors suggest we do with products that produce toxic chemicals when they are recycled.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The authors describe five steps to putting eco-effectiveness into practice. Write summary of how to accomplish these five steps if you are a product designer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a three-part essay to summarize the problems with the current trend in designing crude products.
Part 1. Describe what the authors mean by "crude products." Why do the authors consider these designs to be unintelligent and inelegant?
Part 2. Explain what the authors suggest should be the basis to design, instead of inventing more crude products.
Part 3. Describe how soaps and detergents are crude products that need an improvement in their design. How can we improve soaps and detergents?
Essay Topic 3
Define the word "downcycling." Then, explain how our concept of recycling is really downcycling. Finally, describe the effects that downcycling has on the environment and consumers.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)