|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't many materials be recycled?
2. How can leather be safely tanned?
3. What would NOT be a characteristic of a building inspired by the cherry tree?
4. In general, the authors believe that a roof should:
5. Where is there a positive example of a sewage treatment facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the authors suggest we do with products that produce toxic chemicals when they are recycled.
2. Explain the idea of "devolution."
3. Describe what modern design and architecture does to the landscape.
4. Explain how sewage systems can be improved.
5. Explain how ants are a model for positive design that contributes to the environment.
6. Which is more cost effective, large scale power or small scale power? Explain.
7. Explain and give an example of what the authors mean by products that are "monstrous hybrids".
8. Describe how Egyptian civilization traditionally uses nutrient flows and explain how this has changed in recent times.
9. Describe the ideal design for a roof.
10. How does the cherry tree model for industrial design differ from the current model of industrial design?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the ideas of "less-bad" design and "completely positive" design. How does each idea affect the environment, industry, and consumers? What is the philosophy behind each design idea? What is the goal of each idea? What materials should be involved in the designs for each idea?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effect that industrialization of agricultural systems has had on food supplies around the world.
Part 1. Explain what has happened to food supplies in Egypt since the industrialization of agriculture. What natural system has typically maintained Egyptian agriculture? Why has it been eliminated?
Part 2. Describe some traditional agricultural practices that have been replaced by industrial agriculture.
Part 3. Describe the costs and benefits of modern agricultural practices on society and the environment.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to explain the problems with current recycling practices. Cover the following three points in your essay.
1. Describe how recycle is inefficient and creates problems with product quality.
2. Describe why more chemicals are needed in recycling than in creating a new product.
3. Give examples of products that are very problematic to recycle.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)