|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What model do early nomads follow?
2. All of the following are examples of local insulation and cooling systems, except:
3. What is meant by an "industrial re-evolution"?
4. What do the authors mean by a throwaway society?
5. Why are the results of contamination so permanent on the planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how sewage systems can be improved.
2. Describe how Egyptian civilization traditionally uses nutrient flows and explain how this has changed in recent times.
3. Describe how our water supply is affected by the "throwaway" mentality.
4. Describe the furniture factory that the authors design for Herman Miller.
5. Which is more cost effective, large scale power or small scale power? Explain.
6. Give two examples of local cooling power.
7. Describe what the authors suggest we do with products that produce toxic chemicals when they are recycled.
8. Describe what modern design and architecture does to the landscape.
9. Explain what the authors mean by a "throwaway society."
10. How does the cherry tree model for industrial design differ from the current model of industrial design?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effect that industrialization of agricultural systems has had on food supplies around the world.
Part 1. Explain what has happened to food supplies in Egypt since the industrialization of agriculture. What natural system has typically maintained Egyptian agriculture? Why has it been eliminated?
Part 2. Describe some traditional agricultural practices that have been replaced by industrial agriculture.
Part 3. Describe the costs and benefits of modern agricultural practices on society and the environment.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the ideas of "less-bad" design and "completely positive" design. How does each idea affect the environment, industry, and consumers? What is the philosophy behind each design idea? What is the goal of each idea? What materials should be involved in the designs for each idea?
Essay Topic 3
Define the word "downcycling." Then, explain how our concept of recycling is really downcycling. Finally, describe the effects that downcycling has on the environment and consumers.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)