|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an alternative solution to using International Style for home design?
2. How does the Exxon Valdez oil spill result in an economic advantage to some companies?
3. What phrase do the authors use to describe the attitude during the Industrial Revolution?
4. All of the following are problems presented by monoculture crops, except which statement?
5. Who should be responsible for creating products that support the Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how recycling is problematic and a poor solution to positive design.
2. Describe why many materials cannot be recycled into a product of equal quality as the original material.
3. Describe why the authors warn against too much efficiency in design.
4. Describe the negative consequences the Industrial Revolution has on the environment and human health.
5. Explain what the authors mean by "brute force."
6. Describe how early industrialists considered nature and the environment.
7. Describe how the authors use soap as an example of designing products for "worst-case" scenarios.
8. Describe Bill's experience in Jordan as a student and what he is inspired by.
9. What do the authors suggest for a solution to more efficient home designs, as opposed to the International Style of architecture?
10. What do the authors mean by "crude product"? Also, give an example.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Industry, government, and consumers are all responsible for putting eco-effectiveness into practice. Explain how each group can contribute to putting eco-effectiveness into practice, and define the responsibilities of people in each group to support eco-effective designs.
Essay Topic 2
How has industry decreased the diversity that exists in the natural world? What do the authors find inspiring about the diversity that exists nature? How can designs reflect the diversity of the natural world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the reconstruction design and accomplishments of Ford's River Ridge factory in Dearborn, Michigan. Cover the following points in your writing.
1. Explain how is water used and maintained in and around the factory.
2. Describe how the design is meant to make workers feel.
3. Describe how the design meets the authors' goals of putting eco-effectiveness into practice.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)