|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a potential problem associated with pesticide and herbicide use?
2. What health problems can be caused by high levels of contaminants in a normal household?
3. What is Bill's occupation?
4. What does Michael chose for a professional career?
5. What statement best describes how the authors feel about consumerism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do both Bill and Michael conclude about trying to improve products and industry?
2. Explain how recycling is really downcycling.
3. Explain what the authors mean by "brute force."
4. Explain how you could be breathing benzene fumes from your treadmill even though benzene is forbidden for use in rubber products in the United States.
5. Describe how Michael ends up working for the German Environmental Protection Agency.
6. Describe how early industrialists considered nature and the environment.
7. What do the authors suggest for a solution to more efficient home designs, as opposed to the International Style of architecture?
8. Explain how recycling is problematic and a poor solution to positive design.
9. Name two common household objects and their hidden health effects because of the chemicals they contain.
10. Describe the idea of eco-efficiency and how it proposes to solve the industry, consumer, and environment problems.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the word "downcycling." Then, explain how our concept of recycling is really downcycling. Finally, describe the effects that downcycling has on the environment and consumers.
Essay Topic 2
Write a three-part essay to describe the effects the Industrial Revolution has had on the planet and society.
Part 1. Describe the landscape the Industrial Revolution has created in our cities and in agriculture.
Part 2. Explain how the Industrial Revolution has affected the environment and other living organisms.
Part 3. Describe the positive and negative changes that the Industrial Revolution has brought upon society.
Essay Topic 3
Industry, government, and consumers are all responsible for putting eco-effectiveness into practice. Explain how each group can contribute to putting eco-effectiveness into practice, and define the responsibilities of people in each group to support eco-effective designs.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)