|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one problem with recycled paper?
2. What health problems can be caused by high levels of contaminants in a normal household?
3. Why is the Titanic a good metaphor for the industrial age?
4. What is a potential problem associated with pesticide and herbicide use?
5. What is the result of more and more efficient agriculture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what causes "sick building syndrome" and name some of the associated health effects.
2. Explain what the authors mean by "brute force."
3. Describe one of Bill and Michael's ideas for completely positive design.
4. Describe how early industrialists considered nature and the environment.
5. Describe the idea of eco-efficiency and how it proposes to solve the industry, consumer, and environment problems.
6. Explain why the authors say that eco-efficiency is not possible.
7. Describe the arguments against the Industrial Revolution throughout its history.
8. What do the authors mean by "crude product"? Also, give an example.
9. Describe Bill's experience in Jordan as a student and what he is inspired by.
10. Describe the negative consequences the Industrial Revolution has on the environment and human health.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effect that industrialization of agricultural systems has had on food supplies around the world.
Part 1. Explain what has happened to food supplies in Egypt since the industrialization of agriculture. What natural system has typically maintained Egyptian agriculture? Why has it been eliminated?
Part 2. Describe some traditional agricultural practices that have been replaced by industrial agriculture.
Part 3. Describe the costs and benefits of modern agricultural practices on society and the environment.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the ideas of "less-bad" design and "completely positive" design. How does each idea affect the environment, industry, and consumers? What is the philosophy behind each design idea? What is the goal of each idea? What materials should be involved in the designs for each idea?
Essay Topic 3
Industry, government, and consumers are all responsible for putting eco-effectiveness into practice. Explain how each group can contribute to putting eco-effectiveness into practice, and define the responsibilities of people in each group to support eco-effective designs.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)