|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many chemicals are in use by industry today?
2. Where does Bill go to study?
3. What do the authors mean by designing products for worst-case scenarios?
4. Which statement best describes the general goal of the Industrial Revolution?
5. Why would designers create products that wear out in a certain amount of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bill's experience in Jordan as a student and what he is inspired by.
2. Explain how recycling is problematic and a poor solution to positive design.
3. Describe the negative consequences the Industrial Revolution has on the environment and human health.
4. Describe the vision that both Bill and Michael have for the future of the environment.
5. Explain and give an example of how the Industrial Revolution intended to make more and more money.
6. Explain why the authors say that eco-efficiency is not possible.
7. Describe how Michael ends up working for the German Environmental Protection Agency.
8. Explain what the authors mean by "brute force."
9. Describe one of Bill and Michael's ideas for completely positive design.
10. Describe the arguments against the Industrial Revolution throughout its history.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a three-part essay to summarize the concept of upcycling as proposed by the authors.
Part 1. Define the word upcycling as it is used by the authors.
Part 2. Give some examples of how products can be upcycled.
Part 3. Explain how upcycling is an improvement over recycling.
Essay Topic 2
Write a three-part essay to describe the effects the Industrial Revolution has had on the planet and society.
Part 1. Describe the landscape the Industrial Revolution has created in our cities and in agriculture.
Part 2. Explain how the Industrial Revolution has affected the environment and other living organisms.
Part 3. Describe the positive and negative changes that the Industrial Revolution has brought upon society.
Essay Topic 3
Write a three-part essay to summarize the problems with the current trend in designing crude products.
Part 1. Describe what the authors mean by "crude products." Why do the authors consider these designs to be unintelligent and inelegant?
Part 2. Explain what the authors suggest should be the basis to design, instead of inventing more crude products.
Part 3. Describe how soaps and detergents are crude products that need an improvement in their design. How can we improve soaps and detergents?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)