|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When and where do Bill and Michael meet?
2. Which word describes how industry views efficiency?
3. The Industrial Revolution functions on the idea of brute force. What is meant by this phrase as used by the authors?
4. What has been the result of more and more efficient factories?
5. What toxic chemical is included in the production of plastic water bottles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why books are traditionally difficult to recycle and how this book itself is a more positive design.
2. Explain how recycling is really downcycling.
3. Describe how Michael ends up working for the German Environmental Protection Agency.
4. Explain the focus and attitude of the Industrial Revolution.
5. Explain why the authors say that eco-efficiency is not possible.
6. Name two common household objects and their hidden health effects because of the chemicals they contain.
7. Describe what causes "sick building syndrome" and name some of the associated health effects.
8. What do both Bill and Michael conclude about trying to improve products and industry?
9. Explain one example of how recycling is really downcycling of materials.
10. Describe the vision that both Bill and Michael have for the future of the environment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a three-part essay to explain how housing designs can be improved to be more eco-effective.
Part 1. Describe examples from around the world that show how homes can be cooled and insulated with little or no energy consumption.
Part 2. Describe the suggestions that the authors explain for insulation, heating, and cooling designs.
Part 3. Explain how roof tops can be improved to be better insulators and reduce energy needs in the home.
Essay Topic 2
Write a three-part essay to summarize the experience and early inspiration for each of the authors.
Part 1. Describe the childhood and education of each author.
Part 2. Explain the significant event in each author's early career that became his inspiration to create positive designs.
Part 3. Describe how the authors meet their goals in creating their new company.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to examine how common household objects can pose a threat to health and the environment. Cover the following three points in your essay.
1. Give examples of some common objects that can be harmful to human health and the environment.
2. Describe how chemicals can be released from objects as they are used or decompose in the environment.
3. Explain how materials can contain chemicals that are banned from use in the United States.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)