|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another reason to build using local materials?
(a) It increases profits for importers.
(b) It prevents invasive, non-native species from entering the area.
(c) It stops exportation of local goods.
(d) It encourages devolution.
2. Which of the following statements best describes natural systems?
(a) Natural systems cannot recycle nutrients or materials.
(b) Natural systems take things from the environment but always give back.
(c) Natural systems always go through a series of devolutions.
(d) Natural systems waste more energy than industrial systems.
3. Which of the following is a true statement?
(a) Beauty products help in seed germination.
(b) Cleaning products make good fertilizers.
(c) Soap never needs to contain water,
(d) Detergents also help keep water clean in natural systems.
4. How can leather be safely tanned?
(a) With vegetable tanners.
(b) With UV light tanners.
(c) With wind-dry technology.
(d) With plastic resins.
5. What happens to nutrients when agriculture becomes industrialized?
(a) Nutrients are efficiently recycled.
(b) Nutrients are replenished naturally in the soil.
(c) Nutrients are moved and do not remain local.
(d) Nutrients are never consumed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the authors suggest as an example of a good sewage treatment plan?
2. What material is the book itself made of?
3. In general, the authors believe that a roof should:
4. Which word best describes the cherry tree model for industrial design?
5. How are ants a good source of inspiration for positive design?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with current product packaging?
2. Explain how sewage systems can be improved.
3. Describe the qualities a building would provide if its design were based on a cherry tree. For example, would it be dark or light inside, warm or cold, etc?
4. Describe what the authors suggest we do with products that produce toxic chemicals when they are recycled.
5. Describe some good examples of useful packaging.
6. How are the materials used to make the book Cradle to Cradle different than a typical bookstore book?
7. Describe how most roofing materials are poor designs.
8. Describe the furniture factory that the authors design for Herman Miller.
9. Explain the idea of "devolution."
10. Explain and give an example of what the authors mean by products that are "monstrous hybrids".
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)