|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difficulty with recycling heavily inked pages?
(a) The ink is very hard to remove, even if water soluble.
(b) The ink is a common allergen.
(c) The ink is easy to remove but damages the pages in the process.
(d) The ink is very toxic if ingested.
2. What toxic chemical is included in the production of plastic water bottles?
3. Which is an example of too much focus on efficiency?
(a) Running shoes that last 20 years.
(b) Refrigerators that can be rented.
(c) Smaller power plants that save money.
(d) Inexpensive housing in Turkey several decades ago.
4. What words best describe the environment that Michael grows up in?
5. What phrase do the authors use to describe the attitude during the Industrial Revolution?
(a) Cradle to grave.
(b) Cradle to cradle.
(c) Grave to cradle.
(d) Grave to grave.
6. What is the problem with recycling as we know it?
(a) Recycling means using the materials in a way they were not intended.
(b) Recycling means using inferior products.
(c) Recycling means losing more money to better technology.
(d) Recycling means eating old food.
7. What statement best describes how the authors feel about consumerism?
(a) We can blame uneducated consumers for the state of the environment.
(b) We can blame our children for our own consumerism.
(c) It is not completely the consumer's fault for the mass production of environmentally dangerous products.
(d) It is the fault of an education system that does not teach good consumerism.
8. Approximately how many chemicals are in use by industry today?
9. What is a positive change that occurs during the Industrial Revolution?
(a) Families left their rural farms.
(b) Increased use of natural resources.
(c) Increased pollution.
(d) Workers' wages increase.
10. All of the following are examples of crude products as defined by the author, except...
(b) Fresh produce.
(c) Polyester fabric.
(d) Plastic water bottles.
11. Which of the following is not a goal of eco-efficiency?
(a) Use safer chemicals during material production.
(b) Reduce consumption of resources.
(c) Increase profits.
(d) Reduce consumer spending.
12. Which words best describes a material that has been downcycled?
(a) Inferior and inefficient.
(b) Organic and beneficial.
(c) Quality and efficient.
(d) Intelligent and elegant.
13. What does Bill finally realize about design?
(a) That it is the wrong career for him.
(b) That it is a poor business if you want to make money.
(c) That it is more than trying to overcome bad things.
(d) That it is an impossible task.
14. Where does Bill go to study?
(c) New York.
15. What is the main goal of industry?
(a) Increase profit and reduce production costs.
(b) Design efficient products that are expensive.
(c) Reduce consumer spending and make more eco-efficient products.
(d) Create materials that use exclusively natural resources.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Romantic writers inspired by?
2. Which statement best describes the general goal of the Industrial Revolution?
3. When can PVC, a commonly used plastic in children's playground equipment, be toxic?
4. What product do the authors use as an example of designing for specific instead of general use?
5. What is a potential problem associated with pesticide and herbicide use?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)