|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people want from Kathleen?
2. What happens to the world on the night of the births?
3. What can Kathleen do that Mrs. Walsh can't?
4. In between Kathleen's contractions, what appears to Kathleen?
5. What does Kathleen's doctor state about the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Kathleen have armed guards watching her room at the Vatican?
2. What reason does Colleen have for being frightened while she is in the barn?
3. For what reasons would the man who appears out of place amongst the crowd of reporters make Anne uneasy?
4. Why would Anne and Justin confront Father Rosetti when they reach the Vatican?
5. Why would Mrs.Walsh consider Kathleen evil or even call her Satan?
6. The man in the trench coach claims he is "their desires made real." What could he have meant by this?
7. What about the accident made Noelle perform her first miracle?
8. When Anne and Justin meet Colleen, they are surprised by her appearance and openness. How do you think this makes her story fare in comparison to Kathleen's story?
9. Although a trained private investigator, Anne is greatly disturbed that she had to fire her weapon. What may this tell the reader about Anne's character?
10. During her prayer with Father Rosetti, why would Kathleen mention how dangerous and awful the world has become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a common trait for the characters in the novel. Mrs.Walsh is persuaded by "the voice" to betray Kathleen and her family. Write an essay explaining the character of Mrs. Walsh. Who was she? Why was her betrayal a significant topic in the novel? Why was she easily persuaded by "the voice" to betray her employers? What could have made her so angry at Kathleen to behave in this manner? Why did she feel it necessary to kill Kathleen?
Essay Topic 2
Cardinal Rooney was appointed to hire investigators to research the mysterious pregnancies and polio outbreak. He is a trusting character and is one of the genuine characters not affected by "the voice." Cardinal Rooney represents the good of people with his ability to trust. What reasons did Cardinal Rooney have to trust Anne? What reasons did Cardinal Rooney have to hire Father Rosetti and trust him with this sensitive information? Why did he think just one person wasn't capable to handle the job? Why did he bring in Father Justin also? Did his trust waiver?
Essay Topic 3
The prophecy is an interesting object in the novel and the common reason for events in the plot. What does the prophecy say? How has it effected the characters in the novel? How has the prophecy changed the plot of the story?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)