|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Rosetti think about the blackbirds?
2. Why does Father Flannery, the church's priest, make Colleen uncomfortable?
3. Who watched Noelle perform her first miracle?
4. Who does the man in the trench coat say he is?
5. Who turns out to be the one to deliver the savior of the prophecy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Kathleen have armed guards watching her room at the Vatican?
2. Why would Mrs.Walsh consider Kathleen evil or even call her Satan?
3. What does Noelle do to perform her miracle?
4. "The baby is not God's child, but it is a child of God." What does this mean about Kathleen's baby?
5. Based on Kathleen's memory of the events leading to the conception of the baby, how would one describe Jamie?
6. What about Colleen's impending birth has led Justin to rethink his career path?
7. For what reason may Jamie hear "the voice"?
8. Why would Anne and Justin confront Father Rosetti when they reach the Vatican?
9. Colleen is ridiculed by the people she's known and lived near for years, yet believed and supported by strangers. Why might this happen?
10. Why would Kathleen's condition be consciously bothering Jamie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Kathleen and her parents. Is the relationship surprising? Why or why not? What emotions do the parents feel about the situation Kathleen is in? Is Kathleen's relationship with her parents a reflection of her situation or was it the same beforehand?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing and contrasting Kathleen and Colleen. How are they similar? How are they different? How do other people perceive them? How do they perceive and handle themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a common trait for the characters in the novel. Mrs.Walsh is persuaded by "the voice" to betray Kathleen and her family. Write an essay explaining the character of Mrs. Walsh. Who was she? Why was her betrayal a significant topic in the novel? Why was she easily persuaded by "the voice" to betray her employers? What could have made her so angry at Kathleen to behave in this manner? Why did she feel it necessary to kill Kathleen?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)