|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has followed Kathleen to the Newport Hospital?
2. What does Father Rosetti wonder about the incident that occurs on his way to Ireland?
3. While Kathleen is speaking at the press conference, what happens to Mrs. Walsh?
4. How does Father Rosetti cross paths with Anne Fitzgerald?
5. How is Father Rosetti best described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Kathleen have traveled to a foreign city to have her abortion?
2. Why would Kathleen not really think about suicide before it was mentioned to her by "the voice"?
3. How may the two virgin births, one of the savior and one being Satan's child, impact the world?
4. Father Rosetti is the sole survivor of a plane crash when he is on his way to see Colleen. He wonders "if the crash was an accident or meant to kill him." Why would Father Rosetti think this?
5. What about Kathleen's story may have made Anne very skeptical?
6. As Kathleen walks through the unfamiliar streets of South Boston, it is described as cold and rundown. How is this description foreshadowing the mood of the story?
7. Why would Anne's first assignment be to go to Los Angeles?
8. Kathleen feels her parents are scrutinizing her all the time and Mrs. Walsh hates her. What reason would Mrs. Walsh have to feel this way towards Kathleen?
9. How may Kathleen's strained relationship with her parents effect the situation?
10. Why may it be peaceful for Colleen to return to the place where she conceived her baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
External conflicts occur when a character is disagreeing or arguing with another character in the novel. What are some of the external conflicts which existed in the novel? Why did they occur, and how were they resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Settings tend to set the mood or even foreshadow the coming events of a novel. Write a descriptive essay about what Father Rosetti experienced during his plane crash. What did he see? How does he feel? What emotions did he experience? How does this accident and experience set the mood for Father Rosetti? What foreshadowing can be developed from this incident?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing and contrasting Kathleen and Colleen. How are they similar? How are they different? How do other people perceive them? How do they perceive and handle themselves?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)