|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Kathleen travel to?
2. What is it about the nightmares that make them so awful?
3. Who will be affected if the prophecy of the Catholic Church is fulfilled?
4. At the press conference, how does Kathleen disobey her mother?
5. What is troubling Father Rosetti after his accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Father Rosetti is the sole survivor of a plane crash when he is on his way to see Colleen. He wonders "if the crash was an accident or meant to kill him." Why would Father Rosetti think this?
2. What about Kathleen's story may have made Anne very skeptical?
3. Why would Cardinal Rooney have chosen Anne to work on this investigation?
4. Colleen is attacked by a group of boys upon leaving her house and a bird saves her. What might this bird represent?
5. When the reporter publishes the story on Kathleen, the church is not happy. Why may the church feel this story was detrimental?
6. When Anne was a nun she met and fell in love with Father Justin O'Connell. This caused her to rethink the path she was on and pursue a career outside of the Catholic Church. What does this tell the reader about Anne?
7. Why may the people in Colleen's town be treating her differently?
8. Based on the prophecy and what you have read thus far, which girl may be carrying the child of Satan?
9. Although it was something of an honor for the late Pope to share the prophecy with Father Rosetti, why might Father Rosetti believe it is not worth knowing?
10. As Kathleen walks through the unfamiliar streets of South Boston, it is described as cold and rundown. How is this description foreshadowing the mood of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Catholic Church is a major prop throughout the novel. Write an essay describing how the church and religion is important throughout the novel. Has the church or religion greatly effected the characters? Has the church caused conflict in the novel? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
All the characters face their fate at the end of the novel. Write an essay describing the fate Anne and Justin had. Did they deserve their fate? How does their fate reflect their previous lives? Do they deserve their fate based on their character traits throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Kathleen and her parents. Is the relationship surprising? Why or why not? What emotions do the parents feel about the situation Kathleen is in? Is Kathleen's relationship with her parents a reflection of her situation or was it the same beforehand?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)