|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will be affected if the prophecy of the Catholic Church is fulfilled?
2. If the prophecy of the Catholic Church is fulfilled, what will occur?
3. Father Rosetti begins to put together an idea. He combines the events happening in the world with the prophecy told to him by the Pope. What conclusion does he come to?
4. How many siblings does Anne have?
5. What does Doctor's Shapiro's examination prove?
Short Essay Questions
1. How may Kathleen's strained relationship with her parents effect the situation?
2. Why would Kathleen find comfort floating in the ocean?
3. Why does James Patterson describe Father Rosetti as an honest man?
4. During her press conference, "the voice" is prompting her to say inappropriate things. During this time, Kathleen sees a vision of Mary. Why would this vision be an important factor for Kathleen?
5. Why might Kathleen have traveled to a foreign city to have her abortion?
6. Why would Kathleen not really think about suicide before it was mentioned to her by "the voice"?
7. Why would Charles, Kathleen's father, attack Anne's credibility and be very hostile towards her?
8. Doctor Shapiro performs another exam on Kathleen and also claims that she is a virgin. Doctor Shapiro is not connected with the church. Why is his exam more important to Kathleen than the results received by doctors before?
9. As Kathleen walks through the unfamiliar streets of South Boston, it is described as cold and rundown. How is this description foreshadowing the mood of the story?
10. Why would Kathleen seek "solace" on the beach by her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Rosetti's health disintegrates and he faces a grim fate as the novel moves on. As a once healthy, vibrant man, how does Father Rosetti respond to his failing health? What is the reason for his grim fate? Is there any way he could have prevented his fate?
Essay Topic 2
The novel takes place all over the world. Two of the settings are the homes of the two main characters. How is Kathleen's hometown different than Colleen's? How are they similar? Why are the various settings an important component in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Miracles happen throughout the novel. Write an essay explaining the miracles that have occurred. How have the miracles built the plot of the novel? How is Noelle a miracle in herself? What miracle does Noelle perform?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)