|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Kathleen's mother reacting to the events surrounding her daughter?
2. Where does Colleen go to get peace?
3. How does Kathleen think of Anne?
4. What is different about the recent epidemic of polio virus than previous strains?
5. Who inspires the nightmares that awaken both Kathleen and Colleen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Kathleen have traveled to a foreign city to have her abortion?
2. Why would Charles, Kathleen's father, attack Anne's credibility and be very hostile towards her?
3. When Anne was a nun she met and fell in love with Father Justin O'Connell. This caused her to rethink the path she was on and pursue a career outside of the Catholic Church. What does this tell the reader about Anne?
4. Why may the people in Colleen's town be treating her differently?
5. Why may Colleen would be hiding from Sister Katherine and Father Flannery?
6. Father Rosetti is the sole survivor of a plane crash when he is on his way to see Colleen. He wonders "if the crash was an accident or meant to kill him." Why would Father Rosetti think this?
7. How may the two virgin births, one of the savior and one being Satan's child, impact the world?
8. Colleen is attacked by a group of boys upon leaving her house and a bird saves her. What might this bird represent?
9. How might Kathleen have felt when she found the doctor and nurse dead in the office?
10. Why would Kathleen find comfort floating in the ocean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the characters face their fate at the end of the novel. Write an essay describing the fate Anne and Justin had. Did they deserve their fate? How does their fate reflect their previous lives? Do they deserve their fate based on their character traits throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Jamie is a complex character. Write an essay explaining the character of Jamie. Who is he and why is he important? What are his personality traits? Why does he behave the way he does? What was his fate? How did he reach his fate?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a common trait for the characters in the novel. Mrs.Walsh is persuaded by "the voice" to betray Kathleen and her family. Write an essay explaining the character of Mrs. Walsh. Who was she? Why was her betrayal a significant topic in the novel? Why was she easily persuaded by "the voice" to betray her employers? What could have made her so angry at Kathleen to behave in this manner? Why did she feel it necessary to kill Kathleen?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)