|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Justin hurt Anne's feelings?
2. What is Father Rosetti's responsibility?
3. How is Colleen in a similar situation as Kathleen?
4. What makes Colleen's visitor end the meeting early and rush away?
5. Why does Kathleen take a trip to this city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Kathleen have traveled to a foreign city to have her abortion?
2. Why would Jamie have acted violently when Anne confronted him with medical evidence that proved Kathleen is still a virgin?
3. Why may it be peaceful for Colleen to return to the place where she conceived her baby?
4. Why may Anne begin to believe Kathleen's story more than she did earlier in the investigation?
5. Why does James Patterson describe Father Rosetti as an honest man?
6. Colleen is approached by a gypsy very early in her pregnancy. The gypsy told Colleen she was special. Six months later, Colleen remembers this memory with fondness. How is Colleen's reaction important at this point?
7. Doctor Shapiro performs another exam on Kathleen and also claims that she is a virgin. Doctor Shapiro is not connected with the church. Why is his exam more important to Kathleen than the results received by doctors before?
8. Why would Cardinal Rooney have chosen Anne to work on this investigation?
9. Why would Anne's first assignment be to go to Los Angeles?
10. When Anne was a nun she met and fell in love with Father Justin O'Connell. This caused her to rethink the path she was on and pursue a career outside of the Catholic Church. What does this tell the reader about Anne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cardinal Rooney was appointed to hire investigators to research the mysterious pregnancies and polio outbreak. He is a trusting character and is one of the genuine characters not affected by "the voice." Cardinal Rooney represents the good of people with his ability to trust. What reasons did Cardinal Rooney have to trust Anne? What reasons did Cardinal Rooney have to hire Father Rosetti and trust him with this sensitive information? Why did he think just one person wasn't capable to handle the job? Why did he bring in Father Justin also? Did his trust waiver?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the theme of good versus evil. What characters were considered "good"? What characters were considered "evil"? How does good and evil develop the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Kathleen and her parents. Is the relationship surprising? Why or why not? What emotions do the parents feel about the situation Kathleen is in? Is Kathleen's relationship with her parents a reflection of her situation or was it the same beforehand?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)