|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people in Colleen's hometown treat her?
(a) They are helpful.
(b) They are unfriendly.
(c) They ignore her.
(d) They are friendly.
2. What is the Pope's warning to Father Rosetti?
(a) "Stay away from Ireland."
(b) "Never trust anyone."
(c) "Never believe everything you are told."
(d) "You are not alone."
3. What upsets Cardinal Rooney after Doctor Shapiro gives his report about Kathleen?
(a) He doesn;t like the negative attention Colleen's situation is attracting.
(b) He is unhappy with Anne's job perfomance.
(c) He didn't like Doctor Shapiro's report.
(d) He is unhappy that people are protesting outside the Vatican.
4. Even though Father Rosetti is troubled, what does he continue to think about?
(a) How lucky he is to be working with Anne Fitzgerald.
(b) How lucky he is to be alive after what he's been through.
(c) What a miracle it is that both girls are virgins and pregnant.
(d) The prophecy that the Pope trusted him with.
5. Despite her situation, what does Kathleen try for the first time after her discovery at the clinic?
(a) She tries to commit suicide.
(b) She tries step aerobics.
(c) She tries shellfish.
(d) She tries alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Anne brings her to the hospital, what does Kathleen insist that the doctors not do?
2. How does Charles, Kathleen's father, treat Anne?
3. After speaking with Kathleen, what does Anne think about Kathleen's story?
4. Whom does Colleen's visitor say Colleen resembles?
5. What conclusion does Mrs. Walsh come to as she watches Kathleen prepare for the press conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. During her press conference, "the voice" is prompting her to say inappropriate things. During this time, Kathleen sees a vision of Mary. Why would this vision be an important factor for Kathleen?
2. For what reasons would Kathleen's mother want to keep Kathleen's friends away from her?
3. Why would Anne's first assignment be to go to Los Angeles?
4. Although it was something of an honor for the late Pope to share the prophecy with Father Rosetti, why might Father Rosetti believe it is not worth knowing?
5. Colleen is approached by a gypsy very early in her pregnancy. The gypsy told Colleen she was special. Six months later, Colleen remembers this memory with fondness. How is Colleen's reaction important at this point?
6. Why would Charles, Kathleen's father, attack Anne's credibility and be very hostile towards her?
7. Kathleen feels her parents are scrutinizing her all the time and Mrs. Walsh hates her. What reason would Mrs. Walsh have to feel this way towards Kathleen?
8. Why may the people in Colleen's town be treating her differently?
9. As Kathleen walks through the unfamiliar streets of South Boston, it is described as cold and rundown. How is this description foreshadowing the mood of the story?
10. How may it be a coincidence that an outbreak of polio erupts at the hospital Kathleen leaves in Rhode Island?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)