|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who intervenes during the incident Colleen had when she left her house after her nightmare?
(a) Cardinal Rooney.
(b) Anne Fitzgerald.
(c) Colleen's mother.
(d) A flock of birds.
2. What conclusion does Mrs. Walsh come to as she watches Kathleen prepare for the press conference?
(a) That Kathleen is very lonely.
(b) That Kathleen is a very sweet girl.
(c) That Kathleen is a liar.
(d) That Kathleen is evil.
3. What happens to Colleen the day after her nightmare when she leaves her house?
(a) She bumps into Kathleen for the first time.
(b) She is teased and harassed physically by a group of boys.
(c) She is confronted by reporters about her pregnancy.
(d) She runs into a group of boys that offer to walk her back home.
4. Why is Doctor Shapiro's opinion more important to Kathleen than the opinion of the other doctors who have examined her?
(a) Because he is the best in his field.
(b) Because he doesn't look down on her situation.
(c) Because he is not working with the church.
(d) Because he completely believes her.
5. When Anne and Father O'Carroll are reunited at the Beavier home, how do they react towards each other?
(a) They are angry they have to work with each other.
(b) They introduce themselves because they have never met before.
(c) They are thrilled to see each other again.
(d) They remember the feelings they had for each other years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Anne Ftizgerald's previous occupation?
2. Why does Kathleen continue to have "crazy thoughts"?
3. Where does Colleen go to get peace?
4. In what city does Anne encounter an epidemic of polio?
5. How does Kathleen get to her destination in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kathleen feels her parents are scrutinizing her all the time and Mrs. Walsh hates her. What reason would Mrs. Walsh have to feel this way towards Kathleen?
2. Based on the prophecy and what you have read thus far, which girl may be carrying the child of Satan?
3. Colleen is attacked by a group of boys upon leaving her house and a bird saves her. What might this bird represent?
4. Why would Kathleen not really think about suicide before it was mentioned to her by "the voice"?
5. For what reasons would Kathleen's mother want to keep Kathleen's friends away from her?
6. Father Rosetti is the sole survivor of a plane crash when he is on his way to see Colleen. He wonders "if the crash was an accident or meant to kill him." Why would Father Rosetti think this?
7. When the reporter publishes the story on Kathleen, the church is not happy. Why may the church feel this story was detrimental?
8. Doctor Shapiro performs another exam on Kathleen and also claims that she is a virgin. Doctor Shapiro is not connected with the church. Why is his exam more important to Kathleen than the results received by doctors before?
9. Why might Kathleen have traveled to a foreign city to have her abortion?
10. As Kathleen walks through the unfamiliar streets of South Boston, it is described as cold and rundown. How is this description foreshadowing the mood of the story?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)