|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had the farmer's son learned to speak Spanish?
2. What was the first problem that meant the car could travel only about fifty miles per hour?
3. What crop did Hilario say he worked after picking cotton for awhile?
4. What was Juanito supposed to pick up for his mother?
5. How many men did Ted say wanted to go to Florida with the coyote?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the man known as "the Woodpecker" when the bus was stopped by police?
2. List at least two things Ted learns about the farmer in Idaho during his visit there.
3. Where did most of the illegals live in Florida?
4. Why was Ted reluctant to drive?
5. What prompted the group to spend a night in a motel?
6. How did Jesus get the money to pay the coyotes when he returned to America?
7. What did Ted note about the patience of the men during the trip?
8. Where and how did the group sleep on their first night in Florida?
9. What happened to Ted when the group is arrested in Mexico?
10. What did Ted learn about the differences in picking oranges in Florida and picking in Arizona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Ted came to know Alonso and how the two crossed the border together. Ted said that he and Alonso don't look at each other as Alonso was taken off the bus in Texas. Why was that important to the two? What does this say about the character of each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "bag lady" Ted met in the donut shop. What did he learn about the lady and how did he come to know these facts? What was her reaction when she learned that no one else was willing to say that they'd seen the attack on Ted? What did this say about her as a person?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the trip Ted made from Arizona to Florida. What difficulties did they face? What were their reactions to those difficulties?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)