|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Vincente spent in jail?
2. Where did Jesus and his group plan to go for work?
3. What did the men say "Amarillo" meant in Spanish?
4. What did Ted call the image of the Virgin bought by most members of the group?
5. What were the police driving when Ted and the rest of the group were caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ted note about the leaders of the Mexican group as compared to a leader of a similar group of Americans?
2. Why did Ted say he wanted to go to Ahuacatlan?
3. What did Ted note about the patience of the men during the trip?
4. What did Hilario and some other adults hope to accomplish for the young people of the region?
5. What did Ted learn about the patterns of emigration to America?
6. What happened to Ted when the group is arrested in Mexico?
7. Why did Ignacio plan to make Ted a special pair of shoes?
8. Where and how did the group sleep on their first night in Florida?
9. List at least two things Ted learns about the farmer in Idaho during his visit there.
10. Where did most of the illegals live in Florida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the work the Mexicans did in the orchards. What did Ted learn about the "unskilled" labor? Compare the jobs in Arizona to those in Florida.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the coyote. What were some of the similarities Ted described between the guides called coyotes and the animals? Is the name apt?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the trip through the airport. What aspects of the trip did the Mexicans find unnerving? Why hadn't Ted thought to warn them about each?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)