|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is hit first of Ted's group?
2. Who offers to claim to have seen the attack?
3. What did Alonso and Ted have on their feet when they arrived in America?
4. Why did Ted say American companies establish companies just over the Mexican border?
5. Where did Ted sleep his first night at the house in the orchard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ted stop to pick up the group early on the day they were to depart for the airport and what did he find?
2. What did Alonso say about dreams in America? What did he mean?
3. List two points at which the members of the group were especially nervous while traveling through the airport terminal.
4. Why did the situation change so dramatically once Martin's wife and son arrived?
5. What did Nate say to Ted that made him work much faster and why did it work on Ted?
6. How did Ted discover that pesticides were being used so freely on the citrus trees and what did he think of it?
7. Ted expected that the men shared a deep bond simply on the basis of their illegal status and the fact that they were all from Mexico. What did he say he eventually discovered about that?
8. How did Ted describe the agricultural side of Phoenix?
9. What was the problem they faced when going through the security checkpoint and who took the blame for it?
10. What wasTed's answer when the police first asked how he and Alonso know each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the work the Mexicans did in the orchards. What did Ted learn about the "unskilled" labor? Compare the jobs in Arizona to those in Florida.
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the cultural differences Ted notes between Americans and Mexicans? Were these good differences? Support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the attitudes of the Mexicans on religion. Why is Ted surprised when he learns that they'd been baptized into the Mormon church? Why did the men say they'd agreed to it? What do the men believe about the Protestants?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)