|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time did Ted and Alonso board the bus?
2. What two games did members of the group play while waiting at the donut shop?
3. Where did Ted meet Alonso?
4. Why did several of the men make plans to leave the orchard?
5. Where did Carlos and the others of his group sleep at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the situation change so dramatically once Martin's wife and son arrived?
2. How did Ted describe the agricultural side of Phoenix?
3. What did Ted say is the big difference between the attitude of Americans and Mexicans with regard to work.
4. Why did Ted not want to be the one to sleep on the bed his first night at the orchard and why did he eventually accept?
5. What did Ted say about the traffic in Phoenix?
6. List two points at which the members of the group were especially nervous while traveling through the airport terminal.
7. What did Timoteo plan to take with him and why did Ted veto the idea?
8. What did Alonso say about all the men waiting in the bus stop? How did he support that claim?
9. What did Nate say to Ted that made him work much faster and why did it work on Ted?
10. What did Ted say he'd first thought when he discovered that a man was seated at his table, eating his pancakes? What did he come to realize about the man eating his pancakes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the work the Mexicans did in the orchards. What did Ted learn about the "unskilled" labor? Compare the jobs in Arizona to those in Florida.
Essay Topic 2
What were Ted's motivations for remaining with the group that was attempting to cross the border? Why did Ted remain nearby when the group was arrested in Mexico? Why did he remain nearby when they were arrested again in Utah?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Ted came to know Alonso and how the two crossed the border together. Ted said that he and Alonso don't look at each other as Alonso was taken off the bus in Texas. Why was that important to the two? What does this say about the character of each?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)