|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alonso and Ted have on their feet when they arrived in America?
2. How many people paddled across the river?
3. What did Ted discover was the meaning of "rinche?"`
4. Which mode of travel did Alonso believe to be safest?
5. What were snowbirds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What answers did Ted and Alonso give when a businessman asked them where they were going?
2. What is Lupe Sanchez's role with the illegals?
3. What did Alonso say about dreams in America? What did he mean?
4. What did Ted say he'd first thought when he discovered that a man was seated at his table, eating his pancakes? What did he come to realize about the man eating his pancakes?
5. What did the first "coyote" offer Ted and Alonso?
6. What did Alonso say about all the men waiting in the bus stop? How did he support that claim?
7. How did Ted discover that pesticides were being used so freely on the citrus trees and what did he think of it?
8. Why did Ted stop to pick up the group early on the day they were to depart for the airport and what did he find?
9. Why did Ted hate the change from orange trees to lemon trees?
10. Describe the life of the bag lady Ted met in the donut shop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare what happeed to Ted when the group is arrested in Mexico to the situation that occurred when they were arrested in Utah.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the coyote. What were some of the similarities Ted described between the guides called coyotes and the animals? Is the name apt?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the cultural differences Ted notes between Americans and Mexicans? Were these good differences? Support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)