|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lupe Sanchez tell the men that Ted was going to do while he stayed with them at the orchard?
(a) Be working in the cotton fields
(b) Be working on a book
(c) Be their teacher
(d) Be overseeing their meals
2. What was used to pick lemons from the tree?
(a) Special clippers
(b) A large knife
(c) Only the hands
(d) A special ring
3. What kind of medication did Ted say he wished he had while they were at the airport?
(a) Heart medication
4. What was the name of Martin's wife?
5. Why did Ted tell coyotes he wanted to cross the river into America?
(a) He said he was a journalist working on a story
(b) He said he didn't want to cross
(c) He said he was wanted and couldn't cross legally
(d) He said he was a Mexican and couldn't cross legally
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ted say "Oso" meant?
2. How much did the man charge the group for the ride from the donut shop?
3. Where did Alonso plan to go to find work?
4. What night did the group make the trip?
5. What was the dominant crop of the region near Phoenix?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alonso do as they boarded the bus for Houston in an effort to evade police? How did it turn out?
2. Why did Ted stop to pick up the group early on the day they were to depart for the airport and what did he find?
3. Why did Ted hate the change from orange trees to lemon trees?
4. Ted expected that the men shared a deep bond simply on the basis of their illegal status and the fact that they were all from Mexico. What did he say he eventually discovered about that?
5. What do the Mexicans think when the flight attendant offers them drinks and what do they do?
6. What aspect of the trip through the airport did Ted believe to be most important? How did he address that?
7. Explain how Victor and the others of his group decided to travel to America?
8. Why did Ted not want to be the one to sleep on the bed his first night at the orchard and why did he eventually accept?
9. How did Ted discover that pesticides were being used so freely on the citrus trees and what did he think of it?
10. What answers did Ted and Alonso give when a businessman asked them where they were going?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)