|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ted say the illegal immigrants liked to work in orchards?
(a) Because it was more difficult to be seen, therefore more difficult to be caught
(b) Because they didn't like to work in factories
(c) Because they could eat all the fruit they wanted
(d) Because the money was better
2. What did Ted discover was to actually be his transportation across the river?
(a) The hood of a car
(b) A leady raft
(c) A bus
(d) A speedboat
3. What did Carlos give Ted in an effort to help him keep from being fired?
4. What was Sanchez's national status?
(a) An illegal immigrant
(c) A naturalized American
5. Where didAlonso have the phone number of the man he hopes will give him a job?
(a) On a rumpled piece of paper
(b) On a napkin
(c) In his memory
(d) On a matchbook cover
6. Why did Ted say American companies establish companies just over the Mexican border?
(a) There's a skilled labor force
(b) The people are needy
(c) Cheap labor
(d) Easy access to goods
7. What time did Ted and Alonso board the bus?
(a) 9:30 p.m.
(b) 9:30 a.m.
(c) 10 a.m.
(d) 6 a.m.
8. How did Ted reach the man Alonso hoped would hire him to work?
(a) A pay phone
(b) A cell phone
(c) By email
(d) By telegraph
9. Where was Alonso hiding when the immigration officer found him?
(a) Under a seat in the bus
(b) In the lavatory of the bus station
(c) In the lavatory of the bus
(d) Under a seat in the bus station
10. What was the name of the girl who tried to seduce Ted in return for her legalization documents?
11. What did the men say was the biggest problem with their plan?
(a) They didn't know enough English to ask for a ride
(b) They didn't know how to navigate a bus depot
(c) They didn't know how to navigate an airport
(d) They didn't have drivers licenses
12. How far were the men carrying water because of the broken pump at the house in the orchard?
(a) A mile
(b) A half mile
(c) A mile and a half
(d) A couple of blocks
13. What was it that set off the metal detector?
(a) Belt buckles
(b) cowboy boots
(c) Silver dollars
14. What were snowbirds?
(a) People who came to Phoenix for the winter
(b) The people who drove golf carts
(c) Birds that arrived from the north for the winter
15. How much did a bag of lemons weigh?
(a) Almost one hundred pounds
(b) Almost sixty pounds
(c) Almost eighty pounds
(d) Almost forty pounds
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Ted give one of the coyotes?
2. How old was Alonso when he first left Mexico for America?
3. What did Ted find under the seat cover in Lupe Sanchez's truck?
4. Why did many of the men refer to Lupe Sanchez as "Don Lupe?"
5. What school had Carlos attended?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)