|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Calliope drive?
2. Who tells Pokey to warn Coyote that there is death where he goes?
3. After the hunting bet, what kind of game does Coyote play that causes him to lose his butt?
4. What does Sam tell Coyote will happen if the police run a background check on Sam?
5. Who watches Grubb while Sam and Coyote see Pokey in the clinic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coyote stop a police officer from chasing after Calliope?
2. Why did M.F.'s mother call him asking for help?
3. Why does Pokey tell Sam that Coyote can retrieve people from the Underworld?
4. What two observations does M.F. make in King's Lake, Nevada when he catches up with Sam and Coyote?
5. Why does Calliope say she did not call Sam when she discovered that Lonnie had taken Grubb?
6. Why does Coyote leave as Sam and Pokey prepare to send Sam to the Underworld?
7. How does Sam come to realize he loves Calliope?
8. What is the story told about Coyote and Beaver and what does it reveal about Coyote?
9. Why is a clerk in a store shocked when M.F. takes off his sunglasses, and what does this reveal about M.F.?
10. Why is the story of Coyote and Cottontail included in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use irony in Coyote Blue? What are some instances of irony? Why are they ironic?
Essay Topic 2
What is Coyote's role in Sam's life? How is Sam like Coyote?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss characters as shape-shifters in Coyote Blue. Which characters can literally shift? Which characters shift metaphorically?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)