|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Coyote tells Sam he is gone, what else does he say is gone?
2. What does Sam warn Coyote to avoid in Las Vegas?
3. What does Lonnie do when Cheryl complains about their vacation?
4. In the story of Coyote and Cottontail, who are the two watching?
5. What kind of car does Calliope drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Calliope so afraid that Sam would not come with her to get Grubb?
2. Why does Calliope say she did not call Sam when she discovered that Lonnie had taken Grubb?
3. What is the memory of sneaking in to see Custer's grave meant to point out to Sam?
4. Why does Coyote suggest they all go to a Crow reservation in Montana?
5. What is the story told about Coyote and Beaver and what does it reveal about Coyote?
6. Why did M.F.'s mother call him asking for help?
7. Why does Sam say he left his home for nothing?
8. Why does Pokey tell Sam that Coyote can retrieve people from the Underworld?
9. What is the significance of the black limo Sam sees pulling away from the truck stop?
10. Why is the story of Coyote and Cottontail included in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Coyote rationalize the tricks he plays? What are his goals? Is he ultimately a good character or a bad character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss characters as shape-shifters in Coyote Blue. Which characters can literally shift? Which characters shift metaphorically?
Essay Topic 3
How does Moore use foreshadowing in Coyote Blue? What are some of the instances of foreshadowing and what do they foreshadow? What is the purpose of foreshadowing?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)