|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Old Man Coyote make land?
2. What does Adeline say has happened to her children since she found Pokey?
3. Why is Sam able to get his first job after he flees?
4. Who is the first person Sam meets upon visiting Calliope's apartment for their dinner date?
5. What does the young Indian turn into after Sam knocks him out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sam able to ask Aaron for so high a price to buy him out of his shares of the partnership?
2. Why is Sam so disconcerted by Aaron's story about the Indian attacking Cable and Cochran's threatening a lawsuit?
3. What reason does Pokey give Sam when Sam asks him why he keeps the medicine bag Old Man Coyote gave him which causes him to drink?
4. Why didn't Sam believe his gut feeling that the young Indian was Old Man Coyote?
5. Why are Calliope, Nina, and Yiffer hiding the morning after Sam and Calliope's dinner date?
6. What event causes Sam to flee from Crow Country to Santa Barbara?
7. Why does Coyote steal a card from Sam's Rolodex?
8. What is the bet Aaron Aaron makes with his companions concerning Sam?
9. Why does Old Man Coyote send Pokey back to his body?
10. How does Coyote receive his shape-shifting ability?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss characters as shape-shifters in Coyote Blue. Which characters can literally shift? Which characters shift metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of magic and heritage in Coyote Blue. Which characters embrace the heritage of the Crow Indian? Which characters reject it? Which characters seem to change their opinion by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What does Sam consider to be his normal life? What does he mean when he says he doesn't want what's real anymore, he wants what is real?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)