|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adeline say has happened to her children since she found Pokey?
2. Who is the first person Sam meets upon visiting Calliope's apartment for their dinner date?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Pokey say he must do for his nephew?
4. What does Aaron say Cochran is planning to do about the Indian's attack?
5. What does Coyote give Sam at Calliope's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Spagnola believe Sam was involved in the Indian's attack on Cable?
2. Why is Sam able to ask Aaron for so high a price to buy him out of his shares of the partnership?
3. Why didn't Sam believe his gut feeling that the young Indian was Old Man Coyote?
4. What is the bet Aaron Aaron makes with his companions concerning Sam?
5. Why does Adeline say she is getting bad medicine from being Crow in the chapter titled, "Five Faces of Coyote Blue?"
6. What does Pokey's initial interpretation of Sam's dream of Lloyd Commerce lead him to do with Sam?
7. According to Coyote's story, why do the Crow Indians use sweat lodges as part of their religious traditions?
8. Why does Sam have a hard time following Calliope's conversation?
9. What convinces Sam that Calliope is not part of Old Man Coyote's plan?
10. What reason does Pokey give Sam when Sam asks him why he keeps the medicine bag Old Man Coyote gave him which causes him to drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of trust and hope portrayed in Coyote Blue? How does trust and hope impact Sam and Calliope's relationship? How do they affect Pokey and Coyote's relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss characters as shape-shifters in Coyote Blue. Which characters can literally shift? Which characters shift metaphorically?
Essay Topic 3
How does Coyote rationalize the tricks he plays? What are his goals? Is he ultimately a good character or a bad character?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)