|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sam feel from the moment he gets to Santa Barbara?
2. When Chapter 1 begins, how many years has it been since Sam fled Crow Country?
3. Before Sam participates in his first sweat, what does Pokey pray to the Great Spirit for?
4. What is the bad omen Pokey sees while speaking with Adeline in Chapter 2?
5. What mode of transportation does Sam take as he leaves Crow Country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pokey's initial interpretation of Sam's dream of Lloyd Commerce lead him to do with Sam?
2. Why is Mr. Cable so resistant to accepting the multi-million dollar policy Sam wants to write for him?
3. Why is Sam so disconcerted by Aaron's story about the Indian attacking Cable and Cochran's threatening a lawsuit?
4. What event causes Sam to flee from Crow Country to Santa Barbara?
5. What reason does Pokey give Sam when Sam asks him why he keeps the medicine bag Old Man Coyote gave him which causes him to drink?
6. Why does Sam have a hard time following Calliope's conversation?
7. Why is Sam able to ask Aaron for so high a price to buy him out of his shares of the partnership?
8. Why didn't Sam believe his gut feeling that the young Indian was Old Man Coyote?
9. Why does Spagnola believe Sam was involved in the Indian's attack on Cable?
10. Why does Sam say he will not see Old Man Coyote when Harlan asks what Sam will do if he sees him during his sweat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Sam consider to be his normal life? What does he mean when he says he doesn't want what's real anymore, he wants what is real?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss characters as shape-shifters in Coyote Blue. Which characters can literally shift? Which characters shift metaphorically?
Essay Topic 3
How does Sam's dream about Lloyd Commerce figure into his life? What does it foretell?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)