|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What consolation prize does Coyote receive when he gets the last name left?
2. Who is Pokey's spirit helper?
3. In the chapter titled "A White Picket Fence Around Chaos," what is wrong with Yiffer and Nina when they return home?
4. What is the first job Sam is hired to do after leaving the reservation?
5. How does Sam feel from the moment he gets to Santa Barbara?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Calliope wondering about the past lives of lizards while she waits for Sam to pick her up from work?
2. According to Coyote's story, why do the Crow Indians use sweat lodges as part of their religious traditions?
3. Why does Pokey worry that Sam may have seen Old Man Coyote in his dream at the fasting place?
4. Why does Tinker attack Spagnola?
5. What convinces Sam that Calliope is not part of Old Man Coyote's plan?
6. Why does Spagnola believe Sam was involved in the Indian's attack on Cable?
7. Why are Calliope, Nina, and Yiffer hiding the morning after Sam and Calliope's dinner date?
8. Why does Sam say he will not see Old Man Coyote when Harlan asks what Sam will do if he sees him during his sweat?
9. Why does Sam have a hard time following Calliope's conversation?
10. While they are having sex in her apartment, why does Calliope tell Sam to ignore the slamming door from downstairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sam's dream about Lloyd Commerce figure into his life? What does it foretell?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Pokey and Coyote. How do the two characters interact? How do they feel about each other?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use symbolism in Coyote Blue? Explain at least two examples of symbolism. What is the symbol? What does it represent?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)